Sign in to follow this  
bajablitzer

!! help!! how do i properly run in a new motor, i have a team orion method r 19x2 and a venom fireball 19t

Running in (break-in) for electric motors isn't really a big deal. If you are a racer go ahead but if you are a basher don't worry too much about it.

Generally for a mod motor you run the motor on 4.8v for a minute or two. New motors usually come with break-in instructions and they all seem to vary.

For all normal purposes I'd say don't worry about it, but on the motor's first run or two you should gear it easy so that you're not heating the motor up or stressing it at all (let it rev). Heat kills motors so make sure you're not overheating it for the first couple runs.

team orion method r 19x2 and a venom fireball 19t

methink its actually not the running-in that's important, but making sure its built right.

eg. for the Orion, I'd:-

1) dismantle totally

2) check the comm for true-ness, usually give it a light comm cut

3) make sure the comm is properly centered in the can & shimmed right

4) oil the bearings/bushes (if you're not racing, good to replace all bushes with bearings)

5) check brush hoods to make sure they're aligned correctly, reshape if the brushes are too wobbly inside them

6) check brushes to see if they're any good, if not replace with favoured brushes

7) check springs to see they're any good, retension or replace as necessary.

Decent brushes are usually factory serrated, you really don't need to run these in.

As for the Venom Fireball:-

A) pick it up in your hand

:) throw it as far away from you as possible, like a hand grenade [:P]

They are very cheaply built and the ones I've seen have caused endless problems. Yeah we've tried fixing them up (out of a challenge more than anything) but even after doing steps 1-7 above, they're mostly still no good paperweights.

you mean i;m supposed to run them in? do'h [:$]

do running full throttle through mud and leaves and water count?

Shame on me

[;)]

As for the Venom Fireball:-

A) pick it up in your hand

;) throw it as far away from you as possible, like a hand grenade [:P]

HAHAHA! Too true! Reminds me of a time at my friend's place; we had a Traxxas Stinger motor that was defective for some reason because when power was applied it would heat up really fast as it ran. He hooked it directly to a 3000 battery, holding the setup by the battery with motor hanging, and we watched as the commutator and brushes began to glow red, then bright red, then nearly white before he swung the motor in an arc (connected by Deans plugs) and slingshotted the motor far up the street into a snowbank.