Sign in to follow this  
bangstick

Anyone into boats?

http://www.martrcworld.piczo.com/?cr=2&rfm=y

Was speaking to one of the decorators on site and he said he was into building RC boats, some quite good detail on them too. He even has a submarine which errr... submerges? This is his site, he has a few trucks too. Worth checking out for the hilariously cheesy background music. One thing i might try building is the swampboat thing but perhaps with a nitro engine.

Thats not bad Joel, i did see one called gator bait 2 but i can't seem to find the site now. That one had a 23cc zenoah 2 stroke engine fitted and was probably rapid. I did think about doing a brushless one but i'm not too keen on the idea of having some expensive electrickery getting wet lol

Guest joelvardy

I will have a better look - so far found nothing

Hey , I have been building boats for a long time. I am currently building one now ( one that is taking forever to complete ). what are you looking for ? I am pretty much up to date on all boat kits on the market . Let me know if you need some info on elec , nitro , or gas setups .

Its just the very early stages of an idea, not even sure if boats are my thing. The guy i mentioned cofirms your timescale statement, he said its not uncommon for a scale detailed boat or sub to take literally years to complete. I am not known for my patience so this might count me out of boats lol. I want it yesterday lol.

Scratch building boats was where i started in on the RC scene.

This was a conversion i did from a trawler to a German sabat boat.

getuserimage.asp?t=n&id=img2593_03012007164801_5.jpg

As MadMax says, boats were my intro to r/c as well.  This is my latest: a year old now and still not finished!  Circa 1944 Fairmile Type D combined MTB/MGB.  4 x 500 size 12V motors turning 37mm bronze props gives a pretty scale speed. 4ch r/c: left motor pair, right motor pair (or should I say port and starboard!), rudders and final channel turns lights on/off (stern, mast-head, running, interior and navigation).  Bought the hull (GRP moulding) and some fittings and a lot of wood, glue and screws.  58" long, 11" beam, weighs around 15lb.

Mike

post-15-1172692620.jpg

Well I have a different kind of boats: 1/8 scale hydroplanes: Powered by a Picco .67exr. Made of fiberglass in 1999!!!

post-15-1173398400.jpg

I have a all aluminuum Swamp boat. Someone custom built it. I got it for just over $100USD

f648d3b4.jpg

I have a few boats but none that I have ever made from scratch

First is my 1/18 scale Hydro.

img34_01102004200137_1.jpg

img34_01102004200137_2.jpg

Next is my Pro Boats classic runabout

img34_06012006211234_1.jpg

Here is my Riva aquarama that is currently just a static model but I will eventually make into RC.  I have bought the novak EVX esc and twin 550 motors, just need to buckle down and do it.

img34_26042006004246_1.jpg

Here is my Kyosho harbormaster.  I built it up and ran it a few times but the lame Mtroniks esc isn't up to snuff and keeps shutting down. I plan to put in a hotter Motor and better esc. When this boat is finished off with all the deck fittings it looks really cool. 

img34_20042004202242_1.jpg

I have a 1/8 scale gas hydro boat that I don't have pictures of.  I got it running a couple of times but the inboard motor is a bear to start so I plan to sell it off.  Instead I wanted to get a boat with an outboard motor.  In a moment of insanity I picked up 4 Prather Lap cats. 

img34_09012007013303_1.jpg

I sold one of the Lapcat 2's off and was able to buy another tunnel hull boat with an 11cc motor, scabbed the motor and 1/4 scale servo from it and sold the hull off so I have what I need to make a nice outboard boat.  As with all my projects, if I only had the to finish them off. 

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/tc_userimages/34/img34_09012007013303_1.jpg'> 

Yeah, I like boats. Some how it has a calming effect and can be very detailed and interesting. I also have a Japanese torpedo boat for over ten years and in the process of fixing her up. Lots of details were damage during flight to Hong Kong, even as hand carry. :(

Might i say you guys have some real nice boats and ships, this is something i would like to get into, nothing too complex to start me off, but i do like the building, so any advice on a good starter would be great.

Might i say you guys have some real nice boats and ships, this is something i would like to get into, nothing too complex to start me off, but i do like the building, so any advice on a good starter would be great.

if you are a Tamiya fan than you can get any of the 1/350 scale battleship and carrier by Tamiya, which are nice and can be converted to RC quite easily. The same for the 1/72 scale Japanese Torpedo boat which is slightly larger than the Vaspor, which is been re-issue as a static model. I picked the Torpedo boat because has more room to fit the RC and batteries. The Vaspor i beleive the hull is two tone already and is quite nice too. If you want speed boat, I think Kyosho has a nice range to choose from.

My dad and granfather are into boats. More scale warships that anything else . But i like anythything with abit of speed .

i think its the racing instinct in me LOL.

Boat are more relaxing but less forgiving if you crash them.

GLUG GLUG GLUG.

I just dug my R/C boat out of a storage shed out at the family farm..

Scratch built balsa construction..

Looks like a cross between a Trawler, and one of those "River Rat" patrol boats from the Vietnam War.

It's in pretty bad shape, have to rebuild it, and show it off..

Might take some "before" pic's and add it to my showroom as a project.