Sign in to follow this  
Timsi

Hornet or Grasshopper??

Hello everybody!

This is my first post here. After almost 15 years I took out my old Thunder Shot to restore and race it. It has the 540 Technigold motor and double front shocks. After some restoration, new 7,5 v 3500 mAh batteries and reading posts in this forum I'm ready to take up this hobby again.

Now I want to buy a re release kit of a 2 wd buggy, to build and race. My main dilemma is to choose between the Hornet and the Grasshopper.

I know that the Hornet has rear oil dampers and 540 motor. However, I'm planning to use a Tamiya Super Stock motor so it doesn't matter that the Grasshopper comes with 380. I find it really hard to decide which model I like best... Would be great if I could get your opinion on this one!

+ A few questions:

1. Will a Super Stock motor work well with these models using a standard Tamiya ESC (TEU-101BK)?

2. Which Super Stock motor is recommended?

3. Whick Radio control system should I get?

/Tim

Oslo, Norway

1. A Super Stock motor will work using a TEU-101BK

2. If you're going much offroad I can recommend the Super Stock BZ

3. I you're just getting in again you can take a Futaba Attack T2ER

Personally I should go for the hornet, it has oil dampers, and I like it's looks more than that from the grasshopper. 

Tim, kjøp begge!

De koster jo kun noen hundrelapper på Stellamodels, som sponser denne siten og der du får rabatter fordi du er medlem her. Jeg har kjøpt masse kits derfra.

Velkommen til Tamiyaclub forresten, bra å se folk fra Oslo her :)

I'd go with the Hornet, that way you've got a lexan body and tires more suited to racing.

Thanks for the inputs!

Clearly some score points for the Hornet here. I guess I'll go for the Hornet with Super Stock BZ now, but I might get a Grasshopper later..

About the radio set: Why not buy a good one that I can use for future models as well..

What about:

FUT2PL Futaba MEGA TECH 2PL 2-Ch

or, Futaba 14** 2PH 2-Channel AM/2 S3003 Servos

or, Futaba 13** 2PH 2-Channel AM/1 S3003 Servo

Oh, yes if you want to buy that, and are sure you want to continue with the hobby. Then you could buy a good radio set.

I guess the futabas I mentioned are typical mid market. Which shall I choose? Any hotter reccomendations in that price range?

I believe that the Grasshopper body won't fit on that chassis with the Hornet rear suspension setup, unless you modify it to clear the suspension at the back.

- James

Hi!

Stellamodels didn't have the Hornet right now, so I bought The Grasshopper and the Futaba MEGA TECH 2PL 2-Ch.

Extremely good deals at Stella! As soon as they get the Hornet back in stock I'll place another order.

I'd have to find a Super stock BZ as well, I guess the 380 is a bit weak..

Thanks again for your replies!

ok. I'll check Dinball. 

Is the Super Stock BZ faster than the 540 Technigold that I have in my Thundershot?

Dont forget you need the 18 tooth hornet pinion gear to fit the 540 sized motor to the grasshopper. Upgrading to oil shocks would help the unpredictable handling qualities of the grasshopper as well.

cheers

neil

Upgrading to oil shocks would help the unpredictable handling qualities of the grasshopper as well.

Speaking as the proud owner of both a Hornet AND a Grasshopper I have to say that the best Tamiya upgrade to tame the 'interesting' handling is to buy a Sand Viper.[;)]