Sign in to follow this  
Timsi

Tamiya Super Stock motor - RZ or BZ

Hello everybody!

I've been adviced to get a Super Stock for my re-re Grasshopper with ESC TEU-101BK.

I guess I'll mainly use the Grasshopper for light off-road tracks, hard sand, short grass and asphalt..

Metal shielded bearings will be ordered.

Should I get RZ or BZ?

BTW, my modified Thundershot has the Technigold 540. Would a super stock be faster?

I'd personally go for the Super stock TZ. It's not as torquey as the BZ, and not as top endy as the RZ. Good compromise. BZ's I've see running can be a little too torquey for a light RWD buggy in my opinion. BZ may end up causing a lot of low speed spins and be a little lacking in top end for the hard sand and asphalt.

TZ sounds right. However, what is the approx max speed difference in mph or kmh compared to the RZ?

I have an RZ also in my drift car. The RZ is a bit faster, (at a rough guess I would say 10%), but takes longer to get up to speed. That is in a road car though, which is what RZ's seem to be designed for. A TZ would be faster in a buggy in the real world. Both are 23 turn motors using the same technology so there is not a huge difference between the two.

To be honest i think the difference between all three motors is pretty subtle, its certainly not worth sweating over if your car is only a basher. I've got a BZ in my Hornet and an RZ in my Top Force, they're all fast motors, look good and if you get them off ebay pretty cheap.

Thanks for the replies guys. One more question;

Do I need to find a new pinion gear (18 tooth) to fit the super stock in the Grasshopper?

Just a thought, I have seen many comments about the TEU not running happily on motors hotter than a 27 turn.

It should be fine, but keep an eye on it.  I've blown 1 up on a TZ motor (at least that seems to be what caused it...)

Cheers

Steve

Hi Timsi, Having just done the 540 motor upgrade on the re-re Grasshopper, thought i would try to help:

You need the 18 tooth hornet pinion gear. (From Timetunnel models this is part

3515006, priced 2.99- note the 18tooth AV pinion gears from touring cars will NOT fit)

TEU ESC should not be used with hotter motor than a sport tuned 540. My re-re grasshopper is running a standard 540 silver can and compared to the 380 kit supplied motor is plenty fast enough considering the poor handling of the grasshopper!

cheers

neil

I am using a Super Stock BZ in a Blackfoot Extreme and a Dark Impact,

both using TEU-101 speed controller, with no problems so far [:)]

Incidentally,

last night a young lad borrowed a 19T motor and fitted into a TT01

chassis with stock pinion and spur, plastic bearings, TEU-101 etc and

it ran for 2 indoor races with no problems.  Motor was seriously

hot after the 2nd race (no heatsinks or cooling and stock pinion) but

the 101 speed controller was perfectly happy.

I wouldn't recommend a 19T on a 101 for any length of time, but 23T Super Stocks seems to be quite happy with the 101 

Thats worth knowing thanks, never had the guts to stick a 23turn with my 101s, cant afford to replace them if they go bang!- might have a go now tho!!!!

cheers

Neil

So I just put an RZ into a new Hornet build. Is it normal for the RZ not to spin freely like a 540 does? It seems to click and step and not roll smoothly. 

So when connected to the transmission it seems to stop the gears and wheels and not flow smoothly. 

Is this normal? 

Holy necropost Batman!

It is. More powerful motors have stronger magnets (this is partly where the increase in power/torque comes from) and therefor, are more difficult to turn by hand. 

Think of it as a high-compression racing engine versus a lowly economy-focussed street engine.