Sign in to follow this  
brisbaneracer

M01 mini Hop ups?

hey everyone, im wondering if the M03 hop ups such as universal shafts , knuckle arms and suspension parts etc are compatable with the M01.

i have a M01 which i am restoring, I want some universal shafts, and alloy Knuckle arms and C hubs if its possible. thanks ;)

I think the universals will; I'm sure I've swapped them about between my own Minis. Shocks can be swapped but obviously you need twice as many on a M03!!. Darn it I've just packed all my cars in boxes for an imminent house move so I can't quickly check, but the hubs are dissimilar I think. Bushing set can be used and a limited slip Manta Ray diff. The suspension componants are different and so is the quick release battery holder. Don't forget the pinion position is in a slightly different place on the motor spindle if you swap that.

The bodies are interchangeable but running the lower profile radial tyres look lost in a M03 Racing shell, and the fatter 60D will foul on the M01 Rover Cooper shell (the one with the chrome bumpers and grille); if you look the wheel arches are moulded higher up.

You'd have thought that being both Minis, you could easily swap between the M-chassis, but the later M03 is so completely altered (and generally drives a lot better) than its vintage cousin. Personally I love 'em both! 

Thanks allot rabiedmushroom, my plan for my stock mini is, Ball bearings, Ball diff, universals, alloy C hubs and knuckle arms, and a pair of alloy shocks would b awesome:)

another question, what is the benefit of the M chassis Bushing set #53236? and do you think a M01 could handle a 17x2 on a 16T pinion? cheers

I tend to find the bushing sets allow the suspension arms to move up/down a lot more freely than the standard Tamiya screw (the partly threaded, partly smooth one). Its just a packet of replacement threaded screws with little sleeves, for where the shock mounts and suspension arms sit.