Sign in to follow this  
BalmyBaldwin

ESCs / RC sets

I am having troubles with my old ESC, it runs the motor faster in reverse (I know its reverse because it has a reverse light) than fowards. Its avery old ESC - Make and model unkown. I know it used to have Mosfets on the top but they are missing, could this be the source of the problem?

Where would I be able to find replacement mosfets that I could try for size,

And does anyone know of a combined receiver/ESC unit like the old Tamiya one that is available now?

Hangin' on

Mosfets are the electronic black plastic things inside the ESC. The bit that goes on the top is a heatsink, i think its this that you mean. These cool the fets down but would have no effect o0n the motor speed really. I think the problem is just a wearing motor. This is what i had before. If its a sealed motor (does not come apart) I believe the brushes in the motor are worn in one direction. This causes the reverse direct to remain fairly new ( as you use the reverse less) but the forwards direction is wearing out. I am sorry that sounds a bit confusing and please correct me if im wrong anybody by all means. Thats what i was told by a fellow racer a while back. Basicaly try a new motor.

If you have a 'high point pot' on your ESC..... turn everything on, and give it full throttle, and turn the 'hight point pot' in both directions to see any speed difference.

Is there a big relay on the ESC?

Does anybody know what make and model the ESCs are that appear on cars like the 911 Taisan in the Tamiya catalogues. And if so, any idea where I can get one or two?

Thanks

Noel

njm

Hi Noel,

The esc pictured with the porsche i am pretty sure is a tamiya CPR unit P-160F Item no. 45015, or the CPR is also available with the AD spec GT-1 Radio control system item 45023.As far as i know it is still available new, but i don't know for sure.

There are several different CPR unit's.

Hope this has helped.logo_member2.gif

There were several Tamiya CPRs through the years, ranging from 100A to 160A. They all look pretty much the same.

Unfortunately all that I've seen have their electronics 'potted' in epoxy. Makes them pretty waterproof and stronger against vibration/impact damage, but also makes them impossible to repair.

Try and put your motor on it with the wires crossed, and then swith channel 2 (gas/brake)of the transmitter in 'mirror'. If you still have the same problem, it's the motor. If you now go slower in reverse compared to forward, then it was your ESC, and you basicly fixed the problem.

The ESC on my Marui (now laying around somewhere outside of the car...), had the same problem with a relais: It was a FWD/REV ESC, but only the reverse was working. Did basicaly the same trick, and then I only had 'forward'. Now they are both not working anymore, but that's not the point... lol icon_smile_tongue.gif The ESC was some creepy home-made thing anyway.

Hope this helps a bit. icon_smile.gif

Sjoerd

I love Sand Scorchers, but I don't have one... Please help this poor collector...icon_smile.gifid=size1>