BeetleLover

Correct Shimming of Wild One Gearbox...

Can anyone tell me how to correctly shim a Wild One Gearbox, I haven't the original shims or little spacers that go up to the bevel gears... but instead i have been playing with an 850 bearing on one side and a washer on the other, think i've heard of someone doing similar... My gearbox still feels notchy and not quite right...  I have put in a frog rerelease gearbox running the high ratio with 19 tooth pinion, seemed like the only combo that lined up right...

Yeah so has anyone have experience getting this setup right without the original shims...

cheers

James

With mine I simply replaced the thick plastic washer with an 850 bronze bushing. This did make the diff action tighter but I have not since had any trouble.

Really it's a bit of hit and miss.  On my new built i have all the proper shims but it's really tight.  The best way to shim is to find some thin 5MM shims and try different combinations until you get the diff just slightly tight.  It also goes without saying to make sure the bearings are fully seated in their spot.

Jim

Wild one gear box badword strikes again. Both these guys gave great advice. Your post just reminded me of the MANY times i took apart my Wild one gear box before i was happy with it.[:P]

I just did this on my Wild One last weekend.

I used a small plastic bushing 850ish size and two washers.  In the following order (looking from the front of the car to the back, ie motor on the left)

one washer on the motor side, diff, plastic bush, washer

Sandwiched between the two bearings on either side of the g.box case.

I found the bush was infact a bit wide and it has (had) a smaill rectangular divot/cutout one side.  I simply rubbed it on a block of sand paper till it was a bit thiner 2mms about.  Put some thin oil on the roughed side of the bushing and screwed it back together. Works fine.

Tape up one drive cup to the g.box side while you close it up, otherwise a cup and the infernal center pin will slid out a million times and drive you nuts! [:D] [:P] really, it didn't happen to me about 5 times!!! [:o]

I will take picts next time (I hope not for a loong time!)

[au]

Thanks for the Advices!

I think I know what the problem is, here's me trying to put together the sweetest New Built Wild One and altho it doesn't really add any more performance I thought I'd go as far as I could and add an 850 bearing in there and the trouble with those is that you can't sand them!!!  Yeah I've found the gearbox to be a little too tight (notchy, can really feel every tooth of those bevels...) so will revert to a sanded bush!!!  I'm not intending to Run this car but just incase it will be future proofed for the possibility, it will pain me a little to  have her grounded on the shelf but she'll look good!!!

Thanks

James

Hi all,

I've just got a Wild One and I've obvoiusly problem with the diff spacers. It seems a washer has gone lost. What do you think if I use 0,05mm Astute diff washers?

Left bevel gear is rotted. Do you know if the WO shares them with the Hot Shot, please?

At the end someone knows please if Wild One hex shafts are equal to Frog ones?

If yes I'm planning to mount the Frog CVD.

Max