Sign in to follow this  
europro975

New 2007 Hotshot!!!!!!!!!!

Errrr - and when have Tamiya ever made the cars any different to that?

Obviously the rest of the market has moved on with cheap, decent quality vehicles and Tamiya still haven't got to grips with that, especially in the nitro market, but as a shopkeeper you have plenty of other vehicles available to you that you can recommend to customers over a Tamiya model.

It is clear that Tamiya can design and manufacture cars of the highest quality - just look at the recent TRF cars for proof. But these car's don't retail at £60 including and ESC and motor.

PS For on road racing I would have a plastic outdrive over a metal one any day of the week. Less weight and less friction. And Acoms servos are not what Tamiya build the cars for. They are built for Futaba (who make Tamiya's own brand stuff). It is just the UK public who have to suffer from **** Acoms gear because of the Hobby Company. And just replace the plastic spacer in the servo saver with an M3 washer to make it fit.

The previous models had metal drive shafts, they were more substantual than the current plastic ones.

Tamiya cars have fitting instructions for Acoms servos, they are wrong on the cars I describe.  You either need a 12mm screw or a M3 washer.  The reason why Futaba radios are not sold alongside Tamiya in the UK (and several other companies) is due to price and the fact they are distributed by a different firm.

Yes, I can suggest other brands of car, virtually none come as kits though.  However, as one of the few dealers who wants to sell TAMIYA RC rather than just sell RC, I feel it a shame that you're suggesting I should have to.

Yes, I can suggest other brands of car, virtually none come as kits though.  However, as one of the few dealers who wants to sell TAMIYA RC rather than just sell RC, I feel it a shame that you're suggesting I should have to.

The official UK distributor don't exactly make it easy to sell Tamiya RC in the UK (limited parts support, silly pricing on certain lines), and Tamiya don't provide a car for every customer. Apart from the super-budget electric cars (TT-01 and buggies) I don't think they have a first-choice product for any retailer.

If you want to make your job harder by searching for a reason to sell Tamiya when nobody in the UK is really helping you then fair enough!

Anyway that is way off topic. I'm sure the Hobby Company's shelves will be heaving with re-re Hotshots come July, whatever shape they finally take. They might even bring in a box of six!

Distributor makes it easy, we get on very well with them.  Parts support is pretty much excellent, they just run out from time to time.

Thing is, unlike Modelsport, Apex, MiM, Fusion et al, we are not "RC dealers".  I happen to like Tamiya RC, so I sell Tamiya RC and I try to do it well that's all.  If Tamiya wasn't there, I wouldn't sell other brands of RC to fill the gaps, I'd extend our railway, diecast and slot racing ranges to fill the shelf space.  The rest of our RC range is oddments where I happen to like the product or where there is something that I can by chance obtain that isn't easily available elsewhere, nothing more.

The 17th i will be going to the Shizouka hobby show on the dealers day with the rest of my shop. I will post a few pictures here in the Forums unless someone can get some first. Tamiya hasnet sent out any pictures to our store,just the line drawing that everyone has seen.

Hi,

I would just like to say we happen to like the products that we sell and we do not just "deal" with RC cars, we deal with static models as well and also we also sell other makes other than just Tamiya such as Carson and Thunder Tiger.  We also take great pride in selling our products and we are unhappy that you happened to think of us and other competitors as "RC Dealers".   We happen to care about our customers and also try to sell the Tamiya range to the best way we know how. James and myself always put customer service first and we also enjoy selling the Tamiya range as much as you probably do.

Joanne

Fusion Hobbies

I didn't mean to offend, Joanne.  I'm aware that you do the whole Tamiya range too, there are very few of us left who will support this range above the pulpet above other brands in this country (sadly).

----------------------------

Anyway if we get back on topic and only mention the Hotshot from now, I'll keep me gob shut [:#]

The 17th i will be going to the Shizouka hobby show on the dealers day with the rest of my shop. I will post a few pictures here in the Forums unless someone can get some first. Tamiya hasnet sent out any pictures to our store,just the line drawing that everyone has seen.

Thanks dude i'll be waiting in anticipation [Y] as will many i believe

Tamiya must be doing something right. They even have a loyal bunch of customers who chat about all of their past, present and future products on a huge and very cool website. I'll try and find a link to it [:D]

Does a hot shot re release make sense in todays modern market?

I'm not sure it does. It will sure stick out on hobby store shelves though - but i think tamiya are only looking at the vintage collectors market with this one. I dont think any kid today would chose a hotshot over a RTR E-maxx, losi or something like that.

Retro stuff is very cool, but only if you remember it from the first time round...  

If tamiya were to re release something like the Monster Beetle, they would stand a better chance of capturing the imagination of todays 10 year olds. It ticks all the "cool" boxes - it looks great, goes well and its got big wheels. In a shop it wouldn't look out of place with todays modern stuff, whereas i think the hotshot will.

I'm not sure it does. It will sure stick out on hobby store shelves though - but i think tamiya are only looking at the vintage collectors market with this one. I dont think any kid today would chose a hotshot over a RTR E-maxx, losi or something like that.

Retro stuff is very cool, but only if you remember it from the first time round...  

I think you're totally right it will stick out on the hobby store shelves. The one major thing the Hotshot has over modern buggies is looks and looks are pretty much all the matter if you're just into bashing. I reckon there's a good chance the Hotshot could win over a whole new younger audience the second time around. I don't see why not.

I think that the re-re's actually are really loved by the youth.

I'm seventeen, and prefer the vintage models far above the modern cars. This because of it's better looks. And because the looks aren't the standard look of the cars nowadays. It looks like something special. And I love that.

OK performance is also important, but a vintage model gives me much more fun. Even if it doesn't perform that good, just because of it's special looks. Much more fun to see that drive than a hypermodern losi or so... And if it hadles diffucult, that's just more fun [:)]

Just one more day the answer will be disclosed. (Whether it's a carbon-copy type of re-re) or an re-engineering of the 'Legend' (allow me so say that) using current technology.

Surely Tamiya have spiced up our speculation with those messages from the descriptions of the TamiyaUSA web site.

Just wonder would that be possible that because the description was translated from Japanese and causing these speculation ?

Anyway in a days time we'll know.

Like some of us here I believed that Tamiya is stepping into it's another 'golden age'. so to speak., probably in sync. with Japanese

economy turning upward for the past year and people buy more stuff., the investors puts more money in developing new products

and hopefully they're 'better' products.

I'm curious, how many people have actually already pre-ordered one, i see fusion hobbies has it on their site to pre-order at 100 GBP

Ok. It's now clear the re-release *not* a re-engineered DF03 [:P]

OK end of arguments, looks like we are getting the original shot although part of the upgrade seems to be the hotshot 2 chassis with the hatch. Also, nice of tamiya to include the maintenance bar that, together with the battery door, holds the car in the air.

Now... when is the release date??! 

I have never really been in love with my hotshot and I often had thoughts of selling it.  Now it isn't going to be worth squat so i guess I'll be keeping it.

Well done Tamiya! Although my org. Hotshot still not yet build, I am still happy Tamiya reissue the classics like this!

Yeah, I didn't think they'd alter the plastic bits too much - so we still have fractured suspension cantilevers to look forward to then?  Never mind, I'll still have one.  Or two.

Love it :)

Hmm, decided to put not that much money into rc, to save some money for my drivers license... Is going to be difficult [:P