Sign in to follow this  
necronomicon

TA-05 Newbie! please help!

Hello Guys

Just got a TA-05 second hand and not quite figured out a few things about it yet, any help/ comments/ answers would be very much appreciated. Thanks for looking anyway.

1)- Lubrication- with open drive belts etc do i just run it all dry ? (except inside diffs, ends of driveshafts etc, as in manual)

2) Gearing- i know this depends on what i want to do with it, but it will be mostly  informal racing on smooth tarmac, i currently have a 21turn motor and 22 tooth pinion and standard other gears- any suggestions on combo's?

3) openings underneath showing the gears!!!!- this fills me with dread as i probably wont be racing indoors on carpet- is this car a no- no for outdoors then or do people just cover the underside with tape or something and only drive on 'good', non dusty tarmac, and clean / strip it all regularly- I'm used to throwing the TL-01 and TT-01 around with their sealed gearboxes.

4)- any other hints/ tips appreciated guys.

Thanks again

Neil

1. Not necessary. lubricating the belts will only give dust and peebles more chance to wear them out quicker.

2. If the car is fully equipped with bearings, then it'll do ok.

3. the openings are to let anything that don't belong in the gear mesh out.

4. Just drive it as it is. Belters need a bit more cleaning maintenance than shafters do because of their open gearbox design, but done right it won't upset you.

A few months down the line and thinking of selling my TA-05. As I dont drive indoors/ carpet, its just too high maintenance. On road/ tarmac Every couple of minutes the car jams its gears with stones. Some of the suspension joints seem to keep unscrewing themselves as well. Compared to the easy to run TA-01/ TT-01 and tL-01 its just not the car for me. Runs beautifully when it does go, brilliant handling, but the constant problems when running in car parks is getting me down!- been through set of gears, and nearly shredded the belts too.