Sign in to follow this  
Trail Jero

High speed Bush Devil.

Hi guys! (and girls)

I have a fully ball raced Bush Devil with a Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem installed.

I also still use the msc.

I have a Bushnell radar speed gun that I use to see how fast my runners go.The bush devil does 22 km/h with this parts.

I am, not very good on tuning my cars so that is why I need your help.

I want it to go faste top speed but without loosing the acceration.

What would a esc do for the speed?

And what motor would you guys recomend for this car?

Is it also posible to change the pinion and spur gear on the Bush Devil?

Any thoughts and ideas are apriciated.

Regads

Björn

Hotter motor, hotter battery, decent esc and right gear ratio. This is all you need. Ah, I forgot! You also need money for this.

Every motor is good, I suggest a 14x2 or less.

Cheers

Max 

Thanks Kontemax, but I am still wondering if there is posible to change the gear ratio on the Bush Devil.

The reason I wonder is when I use the Mag Meyhem motor it sound like it reaches the max rpm in just a few secons.

Can it be because it does not have a high enough rpm or is it the gear ratio?

If I buy a 14x2 motor does any esc that can handle that do, or is it a difference in witch esc (Model,make) I use.

I want one with reverse besause this is basher car.

I use a 3000 mah nimh battery today.

Another question that pops up when thinking of this problem is that many of the esc's out there state the max A, not the lowest turns in the motor.

Is there a way to calculate the current sumption from knowing witch turn the motor has?

I know for some of you that these questions may be a little dumb, but I am mostly into building and restoring my cars rather then running and optimise them.

Regads

Björn

Thanks Kontemax, but I am still wondering if there is posible to change the gear ratio on the Bush Devil.

The reason I wonder is when I use the Mag Meyhem motor it sound like it reaches the max rpm in just a few secons.

Can it be because it does not have a high enough rpm or is it the gear ratio?

If I buy a 14x2 motor does any esc that can handle that do, or is it a difference in witch esc (Model,make) I use.

I want one with reverse besause this is basher car.

I use a 3000 mah nimh battery today.

Another question that pops up when thinking of this problem is that many of the esc's out there state the max A, not the lowest turns in the motor.

Is there a way to calculate the current sumption from knowing witch turn the motor has?

I know for some of you that these questions may be a little dumb, but I am mostly into building and restoring my cars rather then running and optimise them.

Regads

Björn

Gear ratio, not easy to change, almost impossible unless you swap,the motor to the other side of the gearbox and do some dremel grinding.

Motor, a 17 turn will make it stupid fast, don't go 14 you will loose to much torque.

ESC will help you control it much better, but do little for top speed, although the motor will last longer with the ESC.

i'm with billg4 on this one, 14x2 is a bit extreem, 16 or 17 turn will be fast enough and an esc to run it will be cheaper than one for a 14 turn motor, also if funds allow, buy a good quallity motor thats servicable, you'll get better performance from a good quallity ballraced 16x2 than from a basic  bronze bushed 14x2. your 3000 pack should still give you good run times with a hot motor. changing the gearing is more hastle than its worth, if you go extreem on the motor and find you loose acceleration, then a set of lower profile tyres will alter the gearing and get the acceleration back, blitzer beetle/stadium thunder size tyres, loads availiable. my lad runs a bushdevil with shorter shox, WW2 wheels/tyres and a 18 turn motor, its fairly rapid and very stable due to the extra width.

Hi Jero,

sorry for the late replay but I had been busy.

I don't know the king Blackfoot so I checked on the online manuals. I've seen that the pinion gear is exstremelly little (10T) but is possible to change the gear ratio. Go to www.rc4wd.com  They sold some motor adapter to change the gear ratio (clodbuster section). You will mount 9T or 8T pinion gears. KB gear teeth are big so a simple pinion tooth will change a lot the gear ratio.

In the manual there's no gear ratio so if you count the gear teeth exactly and write them to me I can calculate it. With the gear ratio I can better suggest you a motor.

I suggest a good esc. If you use a 17T motor don't mount a 17T esc but is better mount a 12T esc or less. Bigwheels are heavy to spin and often the esc go hot so is better a powerfull esc. Your torque will improve. If you also mount a capacitor (few copper coins) the torque will increase too. Ball bearings all around obviously.

Let me know.

Cheers

Max 

I've seen something on the net. The pitch is 1mm module (equal to 32p module) and is the same of the Clod Buster module. Check again rc4wd.com for them. I remember they had them.

Cheers

Max 

the gearbox uses a LONG pinion if you've ever owned a blackfoot you'd know this.

So the rc4wd part will NOT work unless you mount the motor on the oposite side and dremel the spur gear teeth indents.

Your spur gear teeth are not cut all the way across the gear, you would need to finish cutting it or face off the gear side

Trust me, more trouble than it is worth

Yes, KB uses long pinion gear but if you check better the products of rc4wd.com you will see that 8T and 9T steel pinion gears are long so the problem wouldn't exist. I don't own a KB but checking the manual I believe this little mod is possible without reversing the motor.

Anyway if you reverse the motor don't need to cut the side of the spur. You could mount reversed the pinion gear eventually. Anyway with the long steel pinion gear the problem doesn't exist in my opinion.

This is the hobby where mods are a great part of the fun, so why don't do them?

Max 

you'd be modding/grinding a gear no longer produced, mess up and... junk.

A milling machine to precisely remove the extra material would be the safe bet.

the rc4wd pinions are longer than standard, but NOT as long as the blackfoot gears. Blackfoot gears are more than 10mm longer than the rc4wd gears, I have 1 of the rc4wd gears in a rc4wd R2 tranny so I know. I also have a super BF gearbox right here. 

A blackfoot gear is 10 teeth, you'd only gain (lose actually) 1 or 2 teeth for an awefull lot of work that might make you do irrepairable damage, why risk it for so little gain?

superbrata.jpg

My handmade jobs are never mess and junk. Anyway I don't own the King Blackfoot so don't know measurements. Maybe you are right but if our mate wand a faster King Blackfoot without acceleration decreaseing he must change the motor with a powerfull one and reduce the gear ratio with a bigger spur gear or a smaller pinion gear. No other way. another solution (expensive) is a gear rediction unit.

I will change the spur as I've done on my Avante 2001 and my Astute TTC gear set switching to 48p module (check my showroom).

Cheers

Max 

smaller tyres? lower the gearing? no grinding, better handling? btw, i do own one.