Sign in to follow this  
gordb

$2,850 Mounty - some kind of record?

Wow, perhaps we're just on the yearly eBay upswing, but there's been a few really high auctions lately. First we had the $5k+ Scorcher, two Hiluxes went for $4000+, and now a Mounty (missing instructions and with wear on the box) just sold for $2850 (which is the highest I've seen a Mounty go for in the few years I've been watching them), not to mention a whole slew of 3-speed runners going around the $1000 mark.

I can't remember who it was that predicted the release of the highlift would only bolster the prices of the vintage 3-speeds (Shodog perhaps?) - but I'll admit I didn't think it would happen. Certainly recent evidence says that person was right on the money!

Perhaps the release of the highlift has convinced people there will never be a vintage 3-speed re-release?

Certainly an expensive time to be a 3-speed lover - I guess I can kiss goodbye my chances of picking up a nice NIB Blazer =)

I think this hobby so far has not caught the eyes of well to do collectors.

Buying a vintage NIB requires building with TLC and most wealthy individuals just don't have the time or accept the imagine of RC on their status.  Once you have assets of few or few hundred million, I think your interest may change.

When one think about it, art or antique collectors wouldn't bat an eye spending $50million vs $5,000 on a NIB SS or Individuals spending $3K, $4K, $5K...on a bottle of wine or other collector of toys like dinky would pay several thousand dollars for some, say 1950 or 1960 model. 

To most of us, including myself, the $2,850 Mounty or the $5,000 SS is a lot of money, but in perspect of the hobby world, is cheap.

This is the best reason because Tamiya must re-release all old cars!

Max 

The prices do seem to be getting higher! I just bought a New Shrinkwrapped Wild One for almost $900 and a Shrinkwrapped Fox for $700!!! I must be nuts! I got caught up in the moment!

But I have sold a few new built never ran cars for more than I thought they would sell for. I sold a Fox, Wild One, and Big Wig each for $350.00. I remeber when these used to cost that much NIB, which wasn't too long ago!

Crazy times we live in!!

The truly wealthy are not into stuff like r/c, because their "toys" are things like 1:1 Ferrari's and such. For the rest of us, who has a budget of say "a few thousand dollars" to spend on toy cars as a hobby, then $5k+ for one model car then sounds really "crazy", otherwise the subject would not be worth discussing.

The truly wealthy are not into stuff like r/c, because their "toys" are things like 1:1 Ferrari's and such. For the rest of us, who has a budget of say "a few thousand dollars" to spend on toy cars as a hobby, then $5k+ for one model car then sounds really "crazy", otherwise the subject would not be worth discussing.

Its rather ironic you say that as the buyer of the Mountaineer owns a car showroom that imports and restores vintage cars including Ferraris into Hong Kong.

Well, actually their is a huge collector/millionaire named Cindy Baker who probably has the largest NIB R/C collection in the world. She supposedly has atleast two of every Tamiya to date NIB all in mint condition. It must be true as I have heard about on and off for over 12 years now through the biggest collectors out there. According to a gent I sold some NIB kits to years ago, they wound up in her hands for a price he couldn't refuse.

I wonder if shes lookin for a husband.[*-)]

I'm sure she'd make you sign a "you're not taking half of my Tamiya collection" prenup

I recently sold a NIB Mountaineer for 2680 USD plus around 300 USD in postage.

I wont say where and who but there was no bartering involved and the buyer was very happy with the kit.

This was not in "perfect" packaging and was not shrinkwrapped.

I feel that the re releases of the nostalgic models has rekindled an interest in some and this has become a method of investment even though the risk is reasonably high.

I persoally own the kits I do for my own pleasure and realise that the value could become nonexistant should Tamiya decide to re release a copy of the original.

Gee

plus around 300 USD in postage.

*cough* did you have it hand delivered by Sumatran virgins to the Omega 1 outpost at the edge of the galaxy?

*cough* did you have it hand delivered by Sumatran virgins to the Omega 1 outpost at the edge of the galaxy?

No just tracked and fully insured which it had to be as it went to South Africa.

If you don't it just dosn't get there.

It's even worse sending to my brother in Zimbabwe It dosn't get here regardsless of what you do, The bast'ds just open everything that looks like it could have some value and toss it away if they can't use it.

I left it to the buyer to arrange his own shipping so he could pay for the service he required and took on the risk if he went the "cheap" route.

The customs forms were a real pain in the harris as well.

Gee

Well, actually their is a huge collector/millionaire named Cindy Baker who probably has the largest NIB R/C collection in the world. She supposedly has atleast two ofevery Tamiya to date NIB all in mint condition. It must be true as I have heard about on and off for over 12 years now through the biggest collectors out there. According to a gent I sold some NIB kits to years ago, they wound up in her hands for a pricehe couldn't refuse.

I wonder if shes lookin for a husband.[*-)]

Cindy sold most of her collection to me several years ago...She did get an awesome deal on hundreds of nibs from a hobby store in florida...She sold under "Naverone" on ebay about 5 years ago...I believe her husband sold the collection because he was getting into 1/1 cars...Jerry The real big collectors are Typishdesign and Toybaron

The real big collectors are Typishdesign and Toybaron

They certainly are - and they are pretty damned good people to boot. Much like yourself Jerry.....you had - (and still have in my opinion) one of the finest collections. Its about quality - not quantity. Just so happens that Ron and Olivier have both.

Cheers

Darryn