Hi Guys I've just bought myself a new lunchbox and was wondering, that apart from metal bearings, which other tune-up parts I should think about fitting, specifically any recommendations on motors and shocks. Will the old yellow CVA shocks fit for example. This truck is going to be used just for fun!

All help and advice gratefully received.

Thanks!

Matt 

Hi Matt,

My lunchbox i totally standard and is the very meaning of "fun", the way it bounces around and is so unpredictable [:P]

Mine came with the TEU ESC and to be honest i think the only mod i'd do (apart from the ballraces) is to fit a Sport tuned motor.

If you look at the "how to" guides on the main page there are a few mods that people have done ie, 3rd shock...... Could be a good place to have a look and take things from there [y]

Cheers, Russ

I'd personally use bearings and then keep it stock, what the point of making a badly handling fun model into a good handling one, if thats the case sell the lunch box and buy something else,

you cant beat the way this jalopy (hope that is spelt right) bounces along and wallows into corners if it turns at all.

my 2p

Steve

I would recomend a set of oil dampers.  They help stabilize the van especially if you plan on putting more power to it.  The old three inch yellow CVA's will work killer.  I used them on my old runner for many years. 

One nice hop up you can make on your own is a strut tower brace that goes between the two front damper mounts.  this helps stiffen the front of the chassis and gives you better handling.  I piece of 1/8" aluminum strip will work fine. 

I have to admit that part of the fun for me is a complete lack of handling. I would therefore go for bearings, esc, 19t motor and leave it at that!

bearings and shorten the shock travel by 1/4 inch or 8mm with rubber tubing, that will keep the front wheels more square to the ground. Much more predictable.

mine had bearings, CVA dampers and a sport tune, it was surprisingly fast! one upgrade you will need sooner or later is a high torque servo saver, i only had light contact with a kerb and it broke.

I'd recommend:

Bearings

Tamiyas CVA damper set

- lower the front suspension to correct camber angle

Shodogs strut tower brace idea, stiffens up the chassis really well.

3rd shock modification - makes the truck wheelie better and stops the rear axel/gearbox flapping about  

Foam inserts

I'm using a 19 turn motor in my pumpkin now. It stays the right way up in turns and wheelies from quater throttle - its a serious handfull to drive which makes it even more fun if you ask me [H] 

Hi Matt

the stock configuration handles bad indeed, but unpredictably bad... you can make it handle predictably bad with such a few mods as

- real servo saver (Kimbrough) + torquey servo

- Oil shocks front and rear - yes the yellow ones fit but they tend to stick - whatever the shock, use light oil, pistons with big holes and medium springs.  see discussion here:

http://tamiyaclub.com/CS/forums/thread/214355.aspx

- Stiffeners are a must if you go hydraulic, otherwise the chassis flexes like badword under load!

- I added a fifth (vertical) body post at the rear - it helps a lot relieving some of the pressure away from the rear ones. There's a gentleman on this forum supposedly making alloy body mounts for the LB as they break pretty easily (already gone through 3 this month...), but he doesn't answer email it seems. the additional body post can be a yokomo, HPI, or Tam part... you just need to drill a hole through the rear platform,

f_9cinquiemepm_016f519.jpg

These mods make the VLB handle better and be more reliable, without taking the "fun" factor off at all!

Bearings are a must of course. And the 101BK handles a "real" stocker a la P2K, so feel free to drop a stocker in as the standard silver can still is a bit low on power.

Weeeeeee!!!

Paul

somebody likes wheelies that much lead stuck on the back !!!

my pumpkin is totally stock, bar ballracing and a esc and 19turn motor.

I took the 19t out tonight as it seems to be a bit dead. Stuck a 15turn

I have sat here for the Mini I am building in. It was totally

uncontrollable tbh, rolled end over end if you broke sharply from full

throttle, backflips if you get it full throttle from a standing start.

Obviously this is great, so will have to find another motor for the

mini now