Sign in to follow this  
lji86

shock oil

shock oil,

is 10w thin and less viscous than a 80w, im looking at buying some for my TB01, will it make my car much different, i want to make it less bouncy and more onroad, i all ready have hard springs on it.

see my showroom

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=3075&id=217

also this is the shock oil page im looking at, any ideas which is best

http://www.modelsportuk.com/v20020702/dyna...ame=Accessories

cheers for the help

lewis

A good starting point is 35 rear and 40 in front shocks

JAkes

does anybody know what the standard oil on the TB01's is, because it does not say on the bottle

cheers

lewis

quote:I use motor oil in them and it works

id="quote">id="quote">

Of course it will work as its oil but shock oil is temperature stable ie: same thickness on a cold day than in summer. Motor oil changes alot in thickness, that is what it is meant to do. Thick when cold and thin when hot. It will lead to different shock characteristics depending on the temperature! Not important in say the sandscorcher which leaks oil like crazy or a back yard basher but not any good for racing.

The standard oil used in the TB01 is #400 (Have twoo TB01 and they both had it), this is about the same as 40WT for other brands.

Tamiya uses color codes for there shock oil and if yours is YELLOW it is #400.

What oil we use is dependent on the shocks you have and if u use the car for onroad or rally.

Sorry forgot you wanted to go onroad.

If you use the stock shocks then get tamiya #700 in the back and #900 in front.

If you have the CVA mini shocks or the TA03 Low friction shocks then use #400 in the back and #500 in front.

I know all that, mr.lister... [:)] But it was all I could get my hands on at the minute...

I have 2 hobby shops near me, I wanted to get meself some decent schumacher oil as I hear they are very cheap and good, and this is what I got...:

1) Schumacher? The guy in the red car...??? (D'oh!)

2) Sorry kid, I can't order anything, 'cos I just quit!

So I grabbed some motor oil. It seems to be working, but ofcourse a good modern shock oil is a lot better... [|)] I can live with it for now, I am not really into racing too... [;)]

quote:
Originally posted by Sjoerd

So I grabbed some motor oil. It seems to be working, but ofcourse a good modern shock oil is a lot better... [|)] I can live with it for now, I am not really into racing too... [
;)
]

id="quote">id="quote">

It really depends on the oil you've grabbed... some oils are more stable than others. For example, Mobil 1 works fantastically in Tamiya shockers, whose effect does not change much even when the temp goes from 8 to 40 deg C in 1 hour (typical joyous Melbourne weather).

This stuff works well in old CVAs as well as Tamiya & HPI's alloy low-friction units. I haven't got enough braincells to remember what weight has gone into which shocks on which car, so 1-for-all suits me fine (I prefer to change the shock pistons than changing the oil weight.) After all these years, it hasn't done anything to rubber & silicone seals either, which is Great.

Dunno about you guys, but silicone oils don't seem to be much good in lubrication. Shock shafts seem to more 'sticky' to the seals in silicone-filled units, whereas m1-filled shockers are smoother quicker. (I only have HPI and Tamiya shock O-rings, so don't know if other brands differ in this respect.)