ideal2k

Just built TT01: Oh my God it just plain stinks!

That must be the best reply in this whole thread SCORPN. I agree that people must see the TT01 for what it is. The TT and the TL for that matter are Tamiya's way of getting people into RC. For that they are perfect. I don't think that they saw any one of these chassis as a competition platform. For a class like SCORPN described I think they are perfect. It is the same kind of thing I trying to get going here in my small town. Just a cheap and easy way to get old and young into racing RC cars. To start them of competing against TA05 type machines will put most people of because of cost. My goal is to get the interest going for as cheap as possible. Once the bug has bitten there will obviously be the individuals who will buy a TA05/TRF type machine just to be one, no make that 10 steps ahead of the TT/TL crowd.

A XB TT01 will sell for about ZAR1500-1700. A TA05 MS chassis kit in the region of ZAR4000. No contest there.

I agree that it is not the best but at least it get about 10000 people going in the world of RC per month.

Henk :lol:

That must be the best reply in this whole thread SCORPN. I agree that people must see the TT01 for what it is. The TT and the TL for that matter are Tamiya's way of getting people into RC. For that they are perfect. I don't think that they saw any one of these chassis as a competition platform. For a class like SCORPN described I think they are perfect. It is the same kind of thing I trying to get going here in my small town. Just a cheap and easy way to get old and young into racing RC cars. To start them of competing against TA05 type machines will put most people of because of cost. My goal is to get the interest going for as cheap as possible. Once the bug has bitten there will obviously be the individuals who will buy a TA05/TRF type machine just to be one, no make that 10 steps ahead of the TT/TL crowd.

A XB TT01 will sell for about ZAR1500-1700. A TA05 MS chassis kit in the region of ZAR4000. No contest there.

I agree that it is not the best but at least it get about 10000 people going in the world of RC per month.

Henk :blink:

Sounds great i would love to Stock TT race on tarmac. I have my TT01 now set up as a drift car but i first got it as an xmas gift with the Skyline Ztune shell. I just had to have it as i love skylines and it was a cheap kit with all inclusive pack. so xmas/boxing day i built it and loved it. I took it carpet racing and week by week month by month hopped it up untill i started racing with the faster guys. I had a 19t quad in it by the end and it went well but with it high CoG with a scale shell and a narrow track compared to the full tourers i started grip rolling. I now have a TA05 with 3racing conversion which pritty much makes it a TA05 MS no with all the blue bling.

So for what its worth i love my TT01 and still have it today. It deffo got me into RC racing and i now have a VLB a DB01 a TA05 and a 3racing F109 (similer to the F103).

Sounds great i would love to Stock TT race on tarmac. I have my TT01 now set up as a drift car but i first got it as an xmas gift with the Skyline Ztune shell. I just had to have it as i love skylines and it was a cheap kit with all inclusive pack. so xmas/boxing day i built it and loved it. I took it carpet racing and week by week month by month hopped it up untill i started racing with the faster guys. I had a 19t quad in it by the end and it went well but with it high CoG with a scale shell and a narrow track compared to the full tourers i started grip rolling. I now have a TA05 with 3racing conversion which pritty much makes it a TA05 MS no with all the blue bling.

So for what its worth i love my TT01 and still have it today. It deffo got me into RC racing and i now have a VLB a DB01 a TA05 and a 3racing F109 (similer to the F103).

There is only one 'true' stock car that was made by Tamiya for all to race..

Ultimate cheap Tamiya Stock racer

Its funny you know - we race a "budget" class open to all plastic tub cars with a stock 540 and no ali parts. I got a dispensation to use the ali prop shaft and fitted ball bearings. I have one of the quickest cars out there bar none, It is a rocket in a straight line, quicker than the TA04, 05 or TB series. the only things that keep up with it are other TT's. Plus I can corner with the best of them (Takeoff CS27 or Sorex 36 depending on track and temp). The only issue I have had with the otherwise stock TT is on an asphalt carpark with a nasty dip the undamped shocks would put it on its roof!! - Fast with a silver can!! I had to adjust my line to avoid the dip and voila. I don't win every race by any means but I am normally top three consistently unlike most of the other racers (there are some truly gifted ones out there though, I am glad when they stay home, is that bad?). All the lack of adjustment means is that you have the same setup for every track and adjust your driving style to match the individual track needs. The basic TT01 setup is OK. We change from asphalt carparks to dusty concrete and it is fast (speed and corners) on both, it does suit wide sweepers more than hairpins but judicious drifting can sort that out. I have never driven on carpet though - Could have a number of issues that are exclusive to it and a bit harder to be consistent?

What I am saying is that a TT01 can be a good racer with small sensible upgrades - Alloy propshaft ball bearings and oil shocks and the 55T spur, HOWEVER there is no way i would race with more power than the silver can, if you want to do that then TA05R or TRF is definitely your best bet.

The TT01 is a great basic car as long as you remember that is just what it is. :blink:

You are comparing apples to apples, which from that stand point is great and I whole heartedly agree with. I was comparing apples to oranges, here in Tauranga the 'club' is only about 5-8ish strong (yes I cant believe a bigger city is less than Napier either), and everyone else races xray t2's, cyclones etc, in fact I'm the only one with a heavy plastic tub chassis. At best about a lap behind in modified with a 13t Dyna-run Super Touring and open diffs on tamiya slicks, I would love it if they had a M03 or TT01 stock class. Dont get me wrong, I agree that the TT-01 is an entry level chassis and a lot of fun can be had (it's much better than a TL01 I raced 10 years ago) but if I want to be competitive with oranges, I have to get something with more fruit, so to speak. :)