netsmithUK

Problems With The New Forum

Not really an issue with the forums, more a feature that I found quite useful with the old ones :rolleyes: .

When the email notifications come through we used to get the text of the latest reply to a thread. Very handy if occasionally checking email at work, and also means you don't have to open up the site / forums to know whats going on in the threads you are subscribed to.

Really more of a wishlist feature, but wasn't sure where to put it? Feel free to move it if needed.

Chris

Not really an issue with the forums, more a feature that I found quite useful with the old ones B) .

When the email notifications come through we used to get the text of the latest reply to a thread. Very handy if occasionally checking email at work, and also means you don't have to open up the site / forums to know whats going on in the threads you are subscribed to.

Really more of a wishlist feature, but wasn't sure where to put it? Feel free to move it if needed.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Got to "My Controls"

Then select "Email Settings" on the left

The first checkbox in the section Board Preference will sort it

I also set "Enable Email Notification" one to Immediate email notification

Cheers

Steve

Hi Chris,

Got to "My Controls"

Then select "Email Settings" on the left

The first checkbox in the section Board Preference will sort it

I also set "Enable Email Notification" one to Immediate email notification

Cheers

Steve

:P Oops, guilty of a bit of not RTFM..... me doin 'puters an stuff for a living too..... shameful, utterly shameful. I blame it on early onset senility myself... B)

Cheers,

Chris

How come I'm logged in on the forums but in the the top LH corner where I use to be able click and go into my showroom it now says logg in and when I do log in nothing happens B)

Hi Chris

Have you had a chance to look at the implications of removing the 4 character limit on the search options? I'm looking at doing searches for TLT and XC but it's not possible at the mo

ta

Pete

Hi Chris,

the forum doubled a reply of mine. Just to notice you the problem.

I would like to suggest a mod if possible. Will be easy go to the member showroom like the old forum.

Cheers

Max

I had not used the forum in more than a year, the new one is up to date but getting in the first time can be a bit convoluted if you don't happen to remember which email address the forum had before and it is different from your user email. After 6 very patient emails from Chris and a bit of detective work on my own it was sorted out, it will settle in nicely and the spell check feature ought to remove all of those spelling blunders we all make, cheers Chris, nice job! SBJ

Just in case it makes it easier to track down the "I keep getting logged out of the forum" problem, I've noticed it does seem to be very browser specific.

When using Mozilla Firefox on XP, I stay logged in much longer, and if I do get logged out, the login page remembers my username and password - all I need to do is hit OK.

With Safari on OSX, I get logged out as soon as I don't load a forum page for 5 minutes or so, and the login page always contains a blank username and password (even though I've checked "Remember Me" in the past).

If there's a per-user "keep me logged in on this computer until I log out" option, I'd certainly jump at it.

I'm wondering whether this issue is related to a subtle difference I've noticed in the main site too? When I first load the homepage on Firefox/XP, I'm logged in straight away (I can see my username link at the top right). But when I first hit the homepage on Safari, I'm not logged in (there's the little Log In box to click on). It's only when I hit a second page (e.g. click on a showroom entry) that I get automatically logged in.

Also, if there's any testing I can do for you to help get to the bottom of this (packet trace/cookies/etc), I'm willing to help.

Thanks again for all your hard work on the migration to the new forums!

G

Easy links to posters showrooms are coming back real soon.

Having to log in each visit is still being looked at (its the same for me guys and I come here much more often than most of you, so I understand its frustrating)

Search limit on minimum number of characters should be gone shortly - I'm just off to look at that now.

Cheers

Chris

Chris - Is there a character limit to the forum signatures? I was trying to shorten mine and I got an error that it is too long. B)

Chris - Is there a character limit to the forum signatures? I was trying to shorten mine and I got an error that it is too long. B)

at 60 x 480, it's too big full-stop :P

9. Please keep forum signature images under 300 x 50 pixels, anything else is too overpowering on the page, especially if you have several replies on the same page.(This figure is combined, so if you feature several items the total height and length will be taken. The numbers are the maximum for both height and length)

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10738

at 60 x 480, it's too big full-stop :P

9. Please keep forum signature images under 300 x 50 pixels, anything else is too overpowering on the page, especially if you have several replies on the same page.(This figure is combined, so if you feature several items the total height and length will be taken. The numbers are the maximum for both height and length)

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10738

TWINSET - That's funny. I tried removing the image and I still get the error. B)

TWINSET - That's funny. I tried removing the image and I still get the error. B)

You're on your own then fella, just wait for a sound thrashing from the board hoodies.

I gave them your address by accident, sorry :P

You're on your own then fella, just wait for a sound thrashing from the board hoodies.

I gave them your address by accident, sorry B)

LOL! I figured it out. I can only use the 1st option showroom link that is provided in the downloads section. All the others are too big. At least I got rid of the pic. Hopefully, I will be spared. :P

Once the TC Hoodies been mobilised, move house!

I don't seem to have as much of a problem with the logging in thing. I just find every few days I've been logged out. (maybe I'm being told something.....Chris???)

Not really a problem, but how about a link back to the forum home page at the bottom of the page too?? I'm lazy and don't have the energy to scroll back to the top every time! Seriously though, just a thought.

Chris.

I don't seem to have as much of a problem with the logging in thing. I just find every few days I've been logged out. (maybe I'm being told something.....Chris???)

Not really a problem, but how about a link back to the forum home page at the bottom of the page too?? I'm lazy and don't have the energy to scroll back to the top every time! Seriously though, just a thought.

Chris.

:lol: It's in the bottom right hand corner dude, drop down list and "go" button ;):)

Friday 22 June - all photos and icons are missing from the forum pages for me now. Was working before.

No one else has / is reproting this problem?

HELP! Chris! :blink::D

Well i've given up posting because it keeps logging me out! :-(

And i don't know how i managed to post that because i've been trying all day With no joy

and then all of a sudden it lets me in ?