Sign in to follow this  
RedFrits

Technigold on an impreza?

Hi all.

Since several weeks I started my old hobby of RC racing again (see my profile). I bought a Bigwig in '89 and used for only a few times. After that the mtor didn't run for 14 years. Now, I want to put that motor (teh Technigold) in my Subaru Impreza on the TL01 chassis? Is that a wise thing to do or not? Also, how do I best "refurbisch"that motor?

Thanks!!

If you'd take my advice you should put the technigold on ebay...they fetch amazing sums. With the resulting fortune you can buy a brand new modified motor and pocket the difference [:D]

If you do want to use the technigold then it will probably be OK to use as it is. As a precaution you could take it apart and check that the commutator is clean and that the brushes are sound. Wipe off any dust and much with a soft cloth and a bit of meths.

You should use a pinion that has either 2 or 3 teeth less than the standard size with the technigold.

Hope this helps, although I would get shot of the technigold!! Modern motors are better and it's not as if you are putting it into a vintage car!

James

Actualy, is the Technigold so much better then you'll find nowadays? I can use the standard gear that is in the box? Before "tuning" the car, I want to make it run first[:D], the transmitter and servos are rusty....

quote:You should use a pinion that has either 2 or 3 teeth less than the standard size with the technigold.

id="quote">id="quote">

Not possible on a TL-01!! Standard pinion is a 19t and thet have a fixed motor mount allowing use of a 19t,21t and 23t pinion, also I'd recommend the opposite and use a pinion 2 or 3 teeth MORE!!

Don't overgear that TechniGold, you won't be doing it any justice. It usually likes a slightly lower (ie smaller pinion) gearing than a stock 540.

A TechniGold properly maintained goes amazingly well. Especially today where access to a comm lathe & brush serrators is common; scrub it back into top condition and it runs great!! (I raced a TG in TCS 2003...)

Since there's no choice in a TL01, the 19 pinion will have to do. Use std touring car tyres, nothing bigger. With that gearing, I'd stick to max 7.2V.

TG really sings with 8.4V but you need to be able to let it rev out. Overgearing it will kill it.

TG doesn't draw as much power as a hot mod but I'd chuck the MSC. If you got lucky and got the Tamiya TEU101BK ESC instead... that might get a bit hot running the TG too.

Best to run it with a decent ESC and it'll be happy.

The technigold is a fine motor, I've also been running them in several of my daily runners up until very recently.

However, they really do need the 8.4v packs to make them come alive and then the performance is just awesome BUT you can't fit an 8.4v pack into most modern Tamiyas, specifically the TL01 because the chassis is moulded to ONLY accept an oval profile pack. The 8.4v packs have the 7'th cell transverse across the end and consequently have a square profile. The longer packs also need longer battery compartment retainers. Old buggies such as Boomerang and Thundershot are easy to adapt but not a TL01. In theory you could I suppose thread the power cable thru and slide the pack in from the wrong way around though. They are also longer packs so may interfere with the shell on a 190mm body.

The Technigold is also poor when it comes to brush changes, you have to remove the endbell and solder new brushes in. The whole process is fiddly and time consuming. Modern motors are a breeze in comparison. I used to get only an hours life from my brushes in my Technigolds running 8.4v (15t pinion in Thundershot) and as the brushes are very rare now too I really would recommend keeping the Technigold in the Bigwig which is a superb buggy anyway and designed to take 8.4v.

Buy a decent modern motor for the TL01 if you are intending to drive it regularly. I've swapped all my technigold/technipower motors for modern motors. The TL01 has such limited pinion range I'd opt for a decent Tamiya super stock motor of 23turns. You can pick them up from Hong Kong sellers on ebay for £20 and you'll be surprised at how good they are.

I use Dyna Run super touring motors in all my 'quick' cars/buggies and performance is impressive but it is a 13 turn motor so requires an expensive ESC to run it and it needs a very small pinion. I run it with the 13t pinion in the thundershots. It won't work in the TL01, I've tried and it gets too hot.

quote:Originally posted by fatboyslim
quote:You should use a pinion that has either 2 or 3 teeth less than the standard size with the technigold.

id="quote">id="quote">

Not possible on a TL-01!! Standard pinion is a 19t and thet have a fixed motor mount allowing use of a 19t,21t and 23t pinion, also I'd recommend the opposite and use a pinion 2 or 3 teeth MORE!!

id="quote">id="quote">

What I meant was the pinion that came in the Impreza box. So, what you suggest is to use the standard 19T pinion OR the 21T pinion?? I'm realy a newby considdering this and I don't want to crash the gears on the first run.. Maybe I'll first drive with the standard 540 motor[:I]

I'd say stick with the 19, if you are running in a large area you may eventually gear up anyway.

Tamiya recommend using the 23 pinion with thier Super Touring Motor!!

But they don't say if that's with the Speed Tuned Gears fitted!!

Through personel experience I use a 13x2 turn motor with the sped tuned gears and a 23t pinion and my TL flies!!

I did kill a battery pack using the same set-up with the 19t pinion the pack was so hot you could've fried an egg on it!!

LOL, there is no way a Dyna Run super touring would pull a 23t pinion in a TL01 for more than a few minutes.

It gets hot enough in my other cars. I tried it in a TL01 with a 7.2v NiCD and it lasted about 4 minutes before the motor cooked and the ESC cut out. That was a car fully equipped with ball bearings, carbon shafts etc and very little rolling resistance. The super touring needs a small pinion, well mine does anyway. Best performance has been with smaller pinions and letting the motor rev high. That smae motor runs in my Avante2001 with 8.4v for 6 minutes at a time (max run time from a 2000 NiCD) with no overheating problem.

Ok just checked my Tamiya 2000 RC CD and it recommends:

Dynatech 02H------------21t

Dyna-Run Super Touring--21t

Dyna-Run Racing Stock---23t

540 Black Sport Tuned---23t

But it doesn't say if thats stock gears or not!!

Sorry but I was nearly right just got my Dyna-Runs mixed up!!

LOL, that's OK mate. I don't know where Tamiya gets those figures from.....maybe they were testing in the arctic or something? about the only way you'll get it to even pull the 21t without burning up.

I think I fitted speed tuned gears to my latest TL01 chassis actually, I haven't tried it in that but I thought the speed tuned made the gearing higher? Ideally you'd want it lower. I'm not sure on that one though. I'll stuff the Dyna Run super touring into that TL01 this weekend and give it a go.

You could also make a 8.4V hump pack or a pack with a separate cell. Last weekend I even saw in my LHS a 8.4V pack with smaller 2000mAH NiMH Sanyo cells, in the size of a normal 7.2V one.

But its not really worth the trouble, better sell the TG or keep it for the Bigwig, also like many racers here say, other companies make much better motors then Tamiya for the same money, better get one from Trinity, Team Orion, LRP etc...

Cheers

Well, thanks for all the answers guys. Cleaned up the motor last night and decided to put it back into the Bigwig and restore that old car. Only thing missing now is the front bumper. Crashed that one after 1 week I believe. I've got the old glued together...

So, the best thing I can do is buy a new motor. First have to buy a new transmitter and servo's and speed controler. ****, this hobby is expensive[V]