Sign in to follow this  
Lookin4Ferdi

F350 1st Gear Problems

Just completed new build F350 and have come across a gear change problem...

I can select all gears ok, but when I am in 1st,after 30 seconds or so it starts trying to either drive of at full speed by its self, or it selects half a gear and just "rev's". All other gears are fine (2nd and 3rd) and if I turn it of and on again it seems to re-set its self. Once re-started if I do not select 1st it will quite happily play fine in 2nd/3rd and you'd never know there was a problem.

The ESC and steering/gear change servo's are stock in the box, the only change's I have made are to move the steering servo to the front (as per one of the threads on this forum) and to fit TLT wheels/tyre's.

I've tried re-setting the ESC and separating the wire's for the servo's (they were cable tied together for neatness) to no avail...

This is my first build (new or otherwise) and I'm struggling to keep my bottom lip in 'cos it's not working properly B)

Anyone got any idea's?

First up then - welcome to the site!

I think you've come to the right place B)

My High Lift was my first new build for myself at least, definatly the most complex tamiya i've built so far.

It sounds like either a fault with the ESC, or something wrong with the first gear.

What esc are you using?

I used to run a mtroniks rv15 in my truck, with the stock motor. This was ok with the stock wheels, but when i hopped up my truck to 2.2 size tyres and smaller pinion the esc went all wrong - in 3rd gear it would forget its neutral postion and the truck would keep rolling along unless i placed it into reverse.

The problem was fixed by installing a mtroniks rv11 - an 11 turn limit esc. Rembmer the stock motor is 27 turns, so this esc is overkill - but it seems my truck needed it.

So i suggest trying another esc first if possible. Or try the truck with the stock tyres, although i doubt it will make a difference.

Your first gear could be binding somwhere. Does the shifting sound smooth? Does it sound like it struggles to move in first gear? it could be possible that either a bearing is'nt located correctly in the gearbox, or the gears are not correctly shimmed.

Let us know how you get on!

I'm sure this problem has been there from new - to be honest I hadn't played with it much before the TLT wheels/tyre's went on, but on my few "test" run's I'm sure this problem was there with the stock wheels/tyre's fitted - I put it down to it being a bit over sensitive compared to my Torag....

The ESC fitted is a Acoms FR -4/40 and the servo's fitted are both Acoms RS 16's

First gear seem's to select fine, the servo is not struggling in or out of gear. If I select gears manualy and spin the motor over it all feels nice and smooth.

The next step is to swap over an ESC, Scruffyg is going to oblige in that (he's a nice chap)..... we'll see

After a bit of testing I think I have the answer....

When I tried a different ESC the problem went..... :)

I then tried plugging the servo's into the original ESC but separately, just steering fine, then just gear change also fine. :blink:

So it would appear that there is nothing "wrong" with any of the components, it just seems that for some reason they just don't all get on together :D

Anywho it's no good as it is and as the kit is only a couple of months old I will e-mail the company I bought it from and see what they suggest. I'm hoping they will send me a different make ESC which I think will sort the problem....

I had gear shift probs with mine when I first built it. It turned out that the servo had failed, it was ok when it wasn't under stress, but when driving, it wouldn't work properly, a new (same brand) servo solved my problem.

ive had gear change problems too, its my second gear though. :blink: there seems to be no gear meshing any more, just grinding! i dont really use second gear anyway as i use my high-lift indoors or crawling in the nearby woods. i use futaba servos and receiver with a speedmaster silverstar ultra esc and hpi mt2 wheels+geolanders. cheers andy.

i have a selection problem some times grates gears when going into 3rd gear all others ok, may try a better servo, i run a 35 turn lathe motor with a lrp ai pro 10t limit esc, with 2.2 hpi wheels and geolanders and a lift kit. not very fast but with diffs locked it is unstoppable.

To put and end to the tale....

E-mailed Timetunnel Models (who I brought the 350 from) explaining the problem, They advised me to return the ESC to them and they would send me a new one, which they duly did. Arrived yesterday, fitted, tested, Ferdi is now a happy bunny again. ;):D:o

Thanks to Timetunnel for a speedy and hassle free turn around. :blink: