Sign in to follow this  
steviedee

Novak Rooster Or Super Rooster?

hi all, i just got a few bits and bobs off a fella TC member who has opted out of the hobby, i got a novak rooster or super rooster, i think its the super rooster according to novaks webpage, but i would firstly like to confirm this and secondly i have two spare wires from the esc, the website shows these as brake lights?

do i just tape them up?

thanks in advance

post-11810-1181992220.jpg

My Rooster doesn't have the word super written on it and the writing is in purple. If yours is the same as the one in the photo with the writing in blue and the word super written then I would think that it is a Super Rooster.

I can't help you with the brake light wires as I am yet to attempt to try them.

mines exactly the same as in the picture and it only says rooster on it, but the novak website shows it as super rooster even though it only shows rooster on it ... weird eh

The Super Rooster should have Super Rooster on the label.

Here's one from eBay;

e462_1.JPG

Also, on the Rooster (below) the wires exit the case from the top

(and the heatsink's different)

8d95_1.JPG

mines got the wires exiting form the side like the super rooster and the label just says rooster on in it too. the heat sink is the same as rhe super rooster too.

Is it possible a different or earlier version?

Yep, looks like they did do two cases for the Rooster;

rooster_box.jpg

Has yours got the part numberr (1850) on it anywhere?

Just a side note on the "brake lite" wires . They will only work as "brake lites" if you set it up without reverse (typical race setting ) . If you are useing the reverse instead of break lites they turn into reverse lite wires . Unfortunately it doesnt clairify that in the instructions but thats how they work . Oh and I wouldnt hook up anything other than LEDs to the wires as its realy low voltage , probobly wouldnt even lite up a normal lite bulb .

So my Rooster Reversible has wires exiting from the side, it has the translucent wires, not the opaque wires, it has the extra fets with the heatsink as in the picture at the top, and it says Super Rooster on the circuit board. Finally it has the correct count for fets the Super Rooster states it should have. It was one of the last Roosters made before Novak quit the Rooster Reversible game. I wanna say it is a Super Rooster but it does not say "Super" on the case. There are no model numbers anywhere on it (1850 or 1860). The rom inside has a sticker:

"R/RR Rev 7a 1/04"

PCB has number:

"607R-7A".

Anyone know if it is super or not super? 

The last thing i can try is testing the BEC voltage, the rooster and super rooster do not have the same voltage output. 

Super Rooster has 6v, Rooster has 5.7v.

I do remember these and had one of them, but forget what the difference is? Maybe some one else can help? (old thread)

To check the voltage, use a digital DC volt meter to the "servo like" lead that would plug into the RX, black/red leads, and read the voltage. There is only .3v difference between the two, so analog DC meter would be hard to tell the difference. Be careful not to short the two leads together though. 

Hope this helps?

• Thanks 1

I looked around and found that if it doesn't say SUPER on it, it is the regular Rooster. They both look like the picture above, the SUPER is a stronger one for more heavy duty motors. They both came with the same instruction manual with both listed. Both, I believe came with and without the extra two wires which were for brake lights. (only 2 leds)

The Rooster came in many versions over the years.    Did my best.

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2022 at 11:07 PM, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

I looked around and found that if it doesn't say SUPER on it, it is the regular Rooster. They both look like the picture above, the SUPER is a stronger one for more heavy duty motors. They both came with the same instruction manual with both listed. Both, I believe came with and without the extra two wires which were for brake lights. (only 2 leds)

The Rooster came in many versions over the years.    Did my best.

Mine does have the brake light leads and I tested the BEC voltage via the receiver cable and found the voltage is right on the money at 5.7 volts.