Mark Flores

Astute "works" Replica

Hi! New member here.

I'm from the Philippines. I used to have a Tamiya Astute way back in 1989 when I was 13, my 1st RC. Regretfully, I lost that buggy except for some bits and pieces of it. Been into racing RC on and off but recently found interest in Vintage Tamiyas!

This interest came to be when I came across a used but complete Astute for sale at our local threads last year. I wasted no time and got it for about $60. It was a chance to get my 1st RC back!

I stripped the paint off the lexan, tore the kit down, cleaned it and put it up on the shelf.

Last week, I got another chance to get an Astute as another came up for sale. Again I wasted not time to purchase it. About $60 again but this one came with an old stick type JR radio, electronics and important spare parts. However, upon inspection I found out it was more of a hopped up Madcap with an Astute body! Better I thought as I could build it as a replica of the Astute "Works" car of old Tamiya driver Jamie Booth and keep one stock! Saw an article about it here in tamiyaclub. As it is, it was already very close to it. The rear shocks were even Tamiya Platinum Hi Cap dampers. Too bad the fronts were some other aluminum ones.

Anyway, I am currently re-building it. I have gotten around tearing down the kit and putting it back together, though it still lacks front shocks and I'm replacing the tie rods with updated ones. I might also install DF03 dampers on it as I am having trouble looking front platinum mini hi caps to go with the rears. (Anyone have a pair for sale?)

Attached are pictures of the kits when I first got them!

Thanks for looking. Cheers!

post-19466-1182133336.jpg

post-19466-1182133370.jpg

Here are pictures of the Astute "Works" replica now. As I'm building an "old school TRF" car, I thought I'd paint it with MS colors. I'll be sticking some TRF stickers on it later! B) Tell me what you think of it! Thanks.

post-19466-1182133785.jpg

post-19466-1182133824.jpg

Dude, top story... I was surprised this thread didn't have any more replies but then I realised the yanks and poms aren't out of bed yet... B)

Quite a nice find and first few posts my friend, I recall reading that article too. Any more pics of the chassis w/out body?

Oh, and mini Hi Caps come up on eBay from time to time, I found a set a few weeks ago, keep looking and you'll end up with a mint vintage!

Very nice, I don't know if I don't look hard enough but I don't see many race replica Tamiyas, nice idea and very cool B)

Fantastic Astute, expecially the black one. I like the front long dampers like the Dyna Storm.

This is the mods I always did want to do on my Astute but never realized.

With these pictures I wish to come back to the Astute again.

Cheers

Max

At the end the same mods I made on mine withour reading the article, but the front long dampers... I always though to them but never realized because I switched to Dyna Storm before.

Max

Good job! Love the paint job. Thanks for the article too. Looks like I may have found my next project. Shhh...don't tell the wife.

I got to work a bit on the Astute. As I think I only have a slim chance of getting platinum hi caps here in the Philippines, and shipping from ebay will be difficult (hard to get stuff thru our customs without bribes! hahaha.), I installed in front, tamiya short plastic dampers for the meantime. Also sorted out the links and rods with new low friction ball connectros.

Electronics up next! I have an old Novak T4 still working. I'll probably just put in a silver can to save on speed ...and crashes! :)

post-19466-1183100584.jpg

Still thinking if I'm going to sell mine or gonna keep it.

Already bought the hicaps that are stated in the article and dyna storm front wheels. Hmm, difficult one.

Will the dyna storm front damper stay fit with the mini hicaps?

I just found a pair of the front wheel set mentioned in the article! It came up in our local for sale threads. Wow.

I'll get new pictures up tomorrow. Got the electronics in and placed some TRF stickers on the body.

Now I wish a pair of hi cap platinum dampers will miraculously pop up! :)

Thanks LoopJuice! By the way, does anyone know what paint scheme was on the original Jamie Booth car? I know it was mentioned somewhere that it was white and orange. Is it the same as that in the article? Anyone got pictures? Thanks.

Here are the latest pictures of my project! Installed the front wheels I got today. They were a bit yellowish, I used white toothpaste to polish them up and they turned a bit whiter! I used an old Novak T4, and installed a silver can. I just need to flip the battery mounting position and to find hi caps for the front! Comments again welcome! Thanks.

P1090025A.JPG

P1090026D.JPG

post-19466-1184083898.jpg

post-19466-1184084098.jpg

I went out yesterday and finally put my Works Astute where it belongs... the dirt! What the heck, I ran it with the fear of breaking parts at the back of my head!

gear: vintage JR beat 202 stick type radio, Novak T4, Kyosho Outlaw Stock 22x1 motor, 2000mah stick pack.

It ran pretty well! A blast from the past. Had a smile all thru the 5 minute run! :lol:

post-19466-1184550483.jpg

Kaminagayuchi: I still have my batteries placed across the chassis and the buggy turns in fine. Must be the 2 inch tires. These tires are part number 50303. They are marked for the Wild One.

astute77: I used nitro fuel and an equal mix of brake fluid and kerosene for the tough sections. Thanks for the compliment!

Your white wheels are the Wild One's wheels, but what are the tires on your black front wheels ?

The tires on the black wheels are Pin-spike 4WD front's like what come standard on the Vanquish and Supershot. Having been installed on the narrow 2WD front wheel, they become pinched and look much narrower.

The tires on the black wheels are Pin-spike 4WD front's like what come standard on the Vanquish and Supershot. Having been installed on the narrow 2WD front wheel, they become pinched and look much narrower.

This is a very good idea ! :(