Mark Flores

Astute "works" Replica

Thanks Mark,

Do you find it flys right when jumping?

You mention that you haven't changed the battery location, I always thought that the Super Astutes new battery location was for better weight distribution for jumping?

I have never had any issues with turn in with either my Madcap, Astute or Super Astute.

This pic is of my running setup,

post-21800-1188689210.jpg

the front wheels are lightweight proline's and the tyre's are from trinity, I have found this combo awesome on loose dirt, but I have a rib set for harder grounds.

I find the Dynastorm style rear wheels work better than the Astutes and can fit most modern racing tyres. I know this isn't true to the work's Astute but I imagine jamie booth would have done similar if he had access to todays wheels and tyres :(

Keep up the good work, I love astutes and it's good to see a fellow runner ;)

I have never had any issues with turn in with either my Madcap, Astute or Super Astute.

But you have big wheels in 2.2" on the front. :huh:

Thanks for your pics.

Thanks EU4RIA! I find that it jumps okay. It seems that mine dives even with the batt this way and I have set the wing back to bring the nose up. The batt is at its most forward setting. Coincidentally I just got a Dyna Storm, and used the rear wheels during my run today. Seemed that I understeered with this, must be the tire condition as it was a bit used or it was the track condition today. Here is a picture after my run today, with the Dyna tires and rims!

post-19466-1189086851.jpg

If your car dives soften the rearsprings and make harder the front ones.

Max

Hi all Astute driver

I finally got my astute as well, however, it doesnt have the body, i was thinking to get a new mad cap body shell. Do you think it will fit?

does anyone know if the madcap bodyshell comes with the undercow?

Many thanks

-Anim

Hi all Astute driver

I finally got my astute as well, however, it doesnt have the body, i was thinking to get a new mad cap body shell. Do you think it will fit?

does anyone know if the madcap bodyshell comes with the undercow?

Many thanks

-Anim

Kamtec sells complete replica Asutue body sets (body, wing, undertray). You can find them on ebay. Kinda expensive, but you do get 3 pieces...

Hi Mark,

Your Astute looks even better dirty :unsure:

If you put the Dyna Storms front wheels and tyres on you will notice a huge difference. Even different tyres will help B) The front tyres you are using look sweet (I use them when its on the shelf) but they're really no good for the track. As Max pointed out a softer rear/harder front will help alot too.

Any chance of getting some footage? I'd love to see how she looks around a track.

Cheers,

Chris

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

The TTC is very similar to the MDC (Dyna Storm) It is a little harder to set-up (not much) but is well worth it! I have a madcap I've hopped right up and I run a 13T in it and have constant diff issues. I have used all shim combo's (using 3 per side ATM) aswell as different greases and have never been happy ;) I've even gone through 3 diff housings from thread stripping and bending, trying to tighten up the diff :blink: My Super Astute runs the same motor and it is sooo much smoother! Like any slipper unit it can be set up for the track conditions and allows better motor and gear life.

I always thought they were over rated till I got my SA now I wish I could get another one for my Madcap!

They are occasionally available on Ebay but are rare and expensive. If you have around US$70-$100 lying around I say do it!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. DO IT :D

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

The TTC is very similar to the MDC (Dyna Storm) It is a little harder to set-up (not much) but is well worth it! I have a madcap I've hopped right up and I run a 13T in it and have constant diff issues. I have used all shim combo's (using 3 per side ATM) aswell as different greases and have never been happy :lol: I've even gone through 3 diff housings from thread stripping and bending, trying to tighten up the diff :D My Super Astute runs the same motor and it is sooo much smoother! Like any slipper unit it can be set up for the track conditions and allows better motor and gear life.

I always thought they were over rated till I got my SA now I wish I could get another one for my Madcap!

They are occasionally available on Ebay but are rare and expensive. If you have around US$70-$100 lying around I say do it!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. DO IT :huh:

Hi I am new with the Astute as well, so the TTC is a good addition for the race and overall drving experience?

Thnx

-L

Wow, nice build there. I bought that magazine issue a few years ago just for the Jamie Booth build up specs. I also bought one from a year or so later/earlier that has the Jaime Booth treatment to a Manta Ray so I can build one of each of his cars. I haven't built mine yet, but that hasn't stopped me from trying to source the parts. I figure this Jaime guy knew his stuff, never have met him though we do share the same last name. I hope one day I could meet him, if he ever finds his way to my neck of the United States. Thanks for sharing and better yet, thanks for driving it and getting it all muddy and run in and not some shelfer.

Chris Booth

Wow, nice build there. I bought that magazine issue a few years ago just for the Jamie Booth build up specs. I also bought one from a year or so later/earlier that has the Jaime Booth treatment to a Manta Ray so I can build one of each of his cars. I haven't built mine yet, but that hasn't stopped me from trying to source the parts. I figure this Jaime guy knew his stuff, never have met him though we do share the same last name. I hope one day I could meet him, if he ever finds his way to my neck of the United States. Thanks for sharing and better yet, thanks for driving it and getting it all muddy and run in and not some shelfer.

Chris Booth

Thanks Chris! I've always felt that these cars need to be driven and not shelved. :)

And I thoght you were related to Jaime! :)

Thanks again! Build your works Astute! Cheers!

Broke the D rear arm blocks on my Works Astute. :D

So, off I went to our local machine shop, bought a couple of solid aluminum blocks shaped close to them D parts, brought out the hack saw, dremel, hand file and started shaping the aluminum. This is what I ended up with. If this breaks, I don't know what to come up with next! :)

Oh, a friend of mine also gave me an Astute chassis from his attic. Sorry state but good for parts! The best surprise was a pair of rear universal axles on it! Already installed them on my works Astute! Yeah! :D

post-19466-1189482104.jpg

Hi Mark,

Otto (Astute) makes alloy repros of these parts. I've bought some and they are excellents.

Cheers

Max

Anyone know who could have manufactured the graphite chassis and shock towers for the Astute before? I noticed that the chassis and towers on mine are not FRP but woven graphite. Just curious who culd have made them. Thanks.

Anyone know who could have manufactured the graphite chassis and shock towers for the Astute before? I noticed that the chassis and towers on mine are not FRP but woven graphite. Just curious who culd have made them. Thanks.

These guys might have had something to do with it :)

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/

OK now a question from me, I've managed to collect all the parts I need to complete this project with the exception of the diff spacer washers, what car are they from and how do I get hold of some :)

Thanks.

Okay, here goes. The diff Spacer washers ORIGINALLY came WITH the Astute diff build kit, but were described in the Astute manual as "not really necessary" they can also be found in a MadCap or Saint Dragon's and probably the King Cab's diff build kit. Now I call a diff build kit the balls and the other METAL bits involved with putting the diff together. I hope I have helped, not confused you and it took me a thorough scan of the build sheet description from my magazine article to find that out for you. I don't know, but it might be possible some spacers are found in the Egress's diffs too???

To my knowledge, Tamiya made only the one size SPACER for these diffs and the other parts were necessary in the least to build the diff properly, the spacers were "left over" commonly if assembly was done "by the book" for "normal running"

Thanks Crash that's brilliant info. but what else would I expect from you Sir :( I didn't realise they came with the standard kit :) in which case I may have some laid around, I've had the odd Astute over the years ;)

Just completed mine, so here it is. I'm going to race this in the regional vintage class.

Img_1602.jpg

WA2.jpg

WA5.jpg