Mark Flores

Astute "works" Replica

Hi Ferretti,

realle really nice Astute. I've seen this orange car trough the club many times.

I'm sorry you will ruin it's body in the races.

Anyway I absolutelly suggest the front bulkhead stiffner from Super Astute or your race will endure few minutes.

Cheers

Max

Hi Ferretti,

realle really nice Astute. I've seen this orange car trough the club many times.

I'm sorry you will ruin it's body in the races.

Anyway I absolutelly suggest the front bulkhead stiffner from Super Astute or your race will endure few minutes.

Cheers

Max

You have seen the body before, I think it was painted by ClassicRCFan for his Super Astute which I bought from DIJoe, however it hasn't been mounted on this chassis before.

I won't be running this shell, I will purchase another set from Kamtec to race with. Please forgive me as I will need to check my Super Astute, I didn't think there was any extra front stiffeners on that model :P

You have many chance to have regional vintage's race. :(

On your last picture, the left and right sides aren't in the same height, no ?

Our vintage class allows cars only from pre 1990, all the parts used I believe are before that date so I hope I will get away with it, I'm not a top contender anyway, I don't think it will bother the others how modified it is when they are lapping me :angry:

The wing isn't quite on straight, I think that's the only issue in that shot. :blink:

Hi Ferreti,

there's a plastic part mounted on the front bulkhead behind the front shock tower that enforce the Astute part.

You can find it in the Super Astute battery stay sprue but don't remember now the letter of the part.

If you need to know will check on my manual.

I'm pleased you will use a Kamtec body. I like a lot this orange one.

Cheers

MAx

Thanks for the pointer Max, I had a look at my SA and I can see the part you refer to, it's strange how you can look at something and not see it :P

The parts tree required = Super Astute G parts 0005408

Hi, heres a little info and pics of my works style astute.

I picked up this astute via ebay, when it arrived it was in a poor state, most of the screws were wrong/rusty and it had been well used, both D1 parts were broken and it needed a good clean.

On the upside, it had a reasonably new TTC gearbox, UJ drive shafts, ball raced steering, madcap style suspension fitted and came with loads of spares so would be ideal to use a s the base for a works style replica.

I stripped it down to clean/check all the parts. I've replaced all the screws with ones from new astute screw bags, swapped the lower suspension arms with new madcap items, made adjustable upper arms and used super astute steering knuckles. Also added is the super astute battery tray, metal A1 and Hi-cap dampers front and rear. I've also fitted the front 50303 wheels as mentioned in the works replica article.

IMGP2562.jpg

IMGP2545.jpg

IMGP2544.jpg

IMGP2563.jpg

IMGP2547.jpg

Steve

Thanks Kaminagayuchi, hi-cap dampers come up reasonably often and go for between 25-35, I have mini's on the front and short on the rear.

I not 100% sure who i got the metal A1 from, i think someone on here posted a link to ebay but i can't find the thread and its too old for ebay to list.

Keep a lookout on ebay as they do come up, i think dirt burners made some but mine was un branded.

Thanks Kaminagayuchi, hi-cap dampers come up reasonably often and go for between 25-35, I have mini's on the front and short on the rear.

Yes, I know, but I find a big front damper stay for my Madcap so I search a short hi-cap dampers. :blink:

Yes the Sleeved Dampers are quite nice, and exceptionally smooth. Unlike the hi-caps, which have a vent hole in the top, these dampers do build fluid pressure as the shock is compressed. They don't use a separation bladder though, so a little air is left inside to mix with the oil. This means the first couple compressions are much stiffer until the air mixes with the oil completely. Kinda odd, but works fantastic on the Dyna Storm.

The Sleeved Dampers can be tricky to run because the lower seal cartridge is screwed into the shock body, where the hi-caps use a simple snap-ring. You must make sure this cartridge is as tight as you can possibly make it by hand or it will back off while driving, ejecting all the damper fluid. The good news is that if this should happen, all the parts stay neatly on the shock shaft without the shock coming apart.

Wow, seems I have a few things to learn about the different shocks I have around here. Perhaps when I am ready to use some of them, I will contact you two guys and check what it is I have. If you don't mind that is. I wouldn't think a full forum discussion would be necessary.

Chris