netsmithUK

New 'for Sale/wanted/auctions' Section On The Main Site For Non-subscribers

A bit of a radical new feature for NON-Subscribers this time - ie the free masses of users out there...

I've now released a new system called 'Classifieds' just for you. Basically it works in a very similar way to subscribers trades section, but with a couple of distinct and important exceptions.

1. Only non-subscribers can post there

2. All items posted are reviewed before they appear on the site (this could be anything from 5mins to 24hrs delay)

3. After review items on appear upon paypal payment of a 75 pence charge. You are only billed IF your item is 'passed'

4. All items are deleted after a 10 day period.

You can find the section here Tamiyaclub Classified Section

All rules regarding the content, ie must be RC hobby related still stand.

At the moment its not linked from the home page but the plan is to insert it in somewhere, but it will be bold enough to see, but subtle enough not to detract from all the interesting subscriber content that is there already.

FAQS

Why have you done this? Simple, I want to make this site the number one place on the web for trading of all things RC related. More items listed, the more choice our users get. We have many more non subscribers than we do subscribers, so it stands to reason there are lots of items out there our members just are not seeing. I also get several emails a week from people that are selling individual models and they don't want to subscribe to do it.

Why do you charge? The charge will help cut down of the number of people messing around on the system, it will cover the extra costs of supplying the feature and hopefully it will make me some extra beer money

Won't this just make you rich? I just said that above. In reality I don't expect to be retiring off the proceeds of this venture but if you in any way are scared I will do and don't like the idea of it then don't use the system. If it makes you feel better paypal take 23p of every transaction :unsure: - also if the section remains empty you can take pleasure in imagining me having to drink cheap cider from a can, instead of HoeGarten served in glasses on those little paper coasters.

Whats in it for the subscribers They like everyone else get to see more items to browse through and possible buy. I'm also toying with the idea that subscribers get to see all adverts 24hrs before the rest of our visitors - which could net them some bargains.

Won't it be full of rubbish adverts for non relevent stuff No all items will be checked by the human eye before they hit the site

Why can't they just use the forums They can, this will just get more hits and provides better facilities such as picture hosting etc.

No way - I could list my items on my_mates_RC_website.biz for free Yes you could, he can probably do with your custom. It probably won't help you get the same exposure though for you advert.

Why would I want to use it when there is ebay? Basically we get 16,000 people plus through our doors every day, all of them looking for RC related info and products. Even if you decide that you will get the most for an item on ebay, a link from our classified section to your auction which surely bump the number of people that go and see it. You can also use the classified as you picture hosting for your auction, which would save you nearly the 75p in ebay costs alone. (NB: This is marketing speak and I haven't actually worked it out yet, but I'm guessing they charge for hosting of 6 pictures) so that coupled with the extra promotion of the auction sounds a good deal to me. The classifieds are a complimentary system to ebay - just imagine it as another 'promotion' option when adding an item to ebay, as you choose your ebay options "Gallery picture:15p", "Bold:75p","Highlight:2.50" etc stop and think of us. "Show on a site with 16,000 RC fans visiting a day for 10 days: Only 75p"

Isn't this going to make the Subscribers trade area less popular? No, I don't think so. The Subscriber trade area will still have the biggest footprint on the home page. It will also be linked into the 'classified' section too. I'm also keen to promote the Subscriber trade area as the are area that out long term committed members use which comes with slightly more piece of mind that the non-subscribed section.

Doesn't this open the door for scammers, registering just to rip people off? I hope not, but its no different to what happens with trade items listed in the forums. As with all trades on the internet the people involved should do everything they can to protect themselves in whatever sort of a deal they enter with strangers.

Doesn't it run the risk of just not being used very much? Maybe, and if it falls flat on its face I'll happily pull the plug on it. It wasn't much effort to do (as its basically subscriber trades tweaked, so I won't lose any sleep over it.

Er...thats all I can think of for now. No doubt there will be more later.

As with all things on the club its a service thats there which you are welcome to use or not. Time will tell if it was a popular idea or not (like countdown auctions :) )

First 10 people to use it will get their 75p fees refunded Wooooooooooo ! least I can do as they are technically beta testing it for me, so small issues may arise for the next day or so.

Cheers

Chris

Guest joelvardy

Good idea!

remember you mentioning this before!

I think it will catch on!

Could we have an RSS Feed for this please!

Guest joelvardy
Sure. :)

Cheers Chris!

Chris we have the old comp pic on the home page!

If it keeps comercial/buisness advertising to a minimum, i think it is a great idea,this benefits individuals and everyone who visits the site.Top.

Good luck .

:)

• Like 1

Good idea!

remember you mentioning this before!

I think it will catch on!

Could we have an RSS Feed for this please!

What RSS feeds are available from the Club? i'm using IE7 and it doesnt ever find feeds on any pages

Thanks

Mark

Guest joelvardy

sorry I know I am being picky... I don't mean to be!

But there is a picture for the wanted adds but the auctions and sale items do not have the little pictures

Joel

Yeah the main feed for the trades area at the moment is

It is great for getting those early bargains lol

Thanks!!

Guest joelvardy

good on im I was starting to think it was a total loss

any news on the comp

Some things just take a bit of time to gather momentum thats all.

I'll answer the question about the comp in the comp thread.

Cheers

Chris

Ok,

So I am not a "paid " member and tried to enter a classified ad on Tamiyaclub, but Once I put in all the info and go to continue to pay the fee, the webpage gives me an an invaid page error..I have tried this 3 times already...Is the system woking properly?

Alfy

Ok,

So I am not a "paid " member and tried to enter a classified ad on Tamiyaclub, but Once I put in all the info and go to continue to pay the fee, the webpage gives me an an invaid page error..I have tried this 3 times already...Is the system woking properly?

Alfy

Try it without pictures, worked ok when I tested it.

Ok; there is a glitch, at the moment, with uploading picutres.

You're obviously welcome to place ads on the forum, but you'll need to host the pics at somewhere offsite like www.imageshack.us

The glitch should hopefully be sorted in the next few days.

It's always been there - you just can't upload ads to it as a subscriber - you have the traderooms