Sign in to follow this  
Shodog

Trf 415 Family Tree

I picked one up on ePay for a godd price but I know nothing about them. What can you guys tell me about them? What bodies are a direct fit? are they 190 width?

I never had one but I think 190 bodies will fit.

Cheers

Max

'Family Tree':

TRF415 (released 2003 I think)

TRF415MS (used at the 2004 Worlds, released just after)

TRF415MSX (released 2005)

TRF415MSX-MRE (Marc Rhinehard Edition, used at 2006 Worlds and released wiht a Protoform Mazda 6 body)

TRF415MSXX (released 2006 or 07)

The suspension from the original first 415 was used on the first TA05, and MS suspension released as 'Reversable Suspension' for the TA04 and TA05.

No bodies are direct fit as they are all racing chassis and Tamiya didn't do a racing body for it. 190mm though.

Hope this helps.

Any 190mm touring car body will be a direct fit, the most appropriate one would be a Protoform Stratus or Mazda6. Tamiya made couple of competition bodies for the TRF range, it's the Subaru Legacy B4 and the Legacy B4 Version2. Both bear a very strong resemblance to a Protoform Stratus :)

I picked one up on ePay for a godd price but I know nothing about them. What can you guys tell me about them? What bodies are a direct fit? are they 190 width?

All 190mm, 200mm width bodies with 256mm - 260mm wheelbase should fit, as said its the body post location on some shells that differ (so dont get a precut shell); a tip is to line up the front arches over the front wheels and mark the post positions on the protective film; at the same time mark the rear post positions.

Open up to say half the diameter on the body post holes and check the fit over the the posts, if OK with the shell level to the graound then open up till a tight fit on the posts.

this allows you some minor adjustments later.

Next cut out the front wheel arches if they are still in line with the wheels, check that the wheels do not foul them when turned either way, or so that they are and do not foul (should be if the preceeding steps taken); now mark the rear arch cut lines on the protective film; on some bodies they will not line up with the moulded outlines on the shell, but it does not matter as much as having the front arches over the front wheels as they turn and the rears do not; if OK cut them out too.

With Tamiya shells, most are 185mm wide and will fit, problem is checking which ones are predrilled for what model as previously pointed out, but with careful placing of decals this can be overcome on the defunct holes that is.

Within reason, if you have shells that fit EVO4 or EVO5 or TA05, with a bit of juggling you can make them fit your 415, its just a knack in the end and wether its to be a shelf queen or for racing/bashing.

Hope this helps you out :D shodog, sorry for the long description ;):)

'Family Tree':

TRF415 (released 2003 I think)

TRF415MS (used at the 2004 Worlds, released just after)

TRF415MSX (released 2005)

TRF415MSX-MRE (Marc Rhinehard Edition, used at 2006 Worlds and released wiht a Protoform Mazda 6 body)

TRF415MSXX (released 2006 or 07)

The suspension from the original first 415 was used on the first TA05, and MS suspension released as 'Reversable Suspension' for the TA04 and TA05.

No bodies are direct fit as they are all racing chassis and Tamiya didn't do a racing body for it. 190mm though.

Hope this helps.

The Reversible Suspension set was actually released for the TB-02 and TA-04.

Ahh, nearly right then.

There was also a DJ-Pro Module suspension set, named after David Jun, IIRC at the 04 Worlds the belt side of the team was split on which to use.

TAM1004-3.jpg

TAM1004-2.jpg

TAM1004.jpg

BTW, there's a great info/reference site for the TRF415 family.

http://www.thard.co.uk/

Explains all the differences between them too.

Thanks for all the info guys. I have never really kept up on all the tamiya onroad cars. when I saw this I thought it would make a nice runner.

Jim