Guest joelvardy

Tamiya Copyright?

Guest joelvardy

Hello, I am wondering if the word "tamiya" can be used on a product that is going to be sold?

I am guessing that the tamiya stars logo is under copyright.

The reason I am wanting to know this is that I am going to make some 1/10 scale brake disks reading "tamiya" but am not sure if it would be legal to sell something with a word that is under copyright on it? [The brake disks will look like the ones I made for the clumber meets - see attachment.]

Cheers for reading, I know that a few of you would like a set of these

post-14761-1183222341.jpg

I wouldn't of thought it would be legal because Tamiya didn't make them or contracted them to be made.

It would be like setting up a BBQ stall selling beef burgers and wrapping them up in mcdonalds paper. lol

but then again you never know !!

Guest joelvardy

I hardly thought I would have beliefs at my door wanting 50% profits or something - especially as there are all of the repro cars around, I just wanted to be sure that it was not a major issues

Cheers tho

I hardly thought I would have beliefs at my door wanting 50% profits or something - especially as there are all of the repro cars around, I just wanted to be sure that it was not a major issues

Cheers tho

hahaha, ok :) but your still selling something that says tamiya and its not.

I would think if you started 'branding' your products, you'd come unstuck.

It's fine advertising something to fit Tamiya, or maybe giving something away with their logo on it (such as manual scans) but once you start making a profit from another company's name, you might be stood on shaky ground

As Helen kinda intimated, you're basically saying it's a Tamiya product, and it's not.

Even TC has to 'distance' itself from Tamiya, I guess in case someone on the forums gives duff advice and some chimp assumes it's legit Tamiya teachings;

Tamiya club is a community site for collectors of vintage and contemporary Tamiya models.

Tamiya club is independently owned and operated and is not affiliated to or endorsed by Tamiya Inc or any of it's subsidiaries.

All trademarks are copyright their respective owners.

If you can fit all of that on your brake discs, crack on

Why not make them more 'scale' so the non-Tamiya touring car owners buy them too?

I hardly thought I would have beliefs at my door

Or bailiffs :)

I would think if you started 'branding' your products, you'd come unstuck.

It's fine advertising something to fit Tamiya, or maybe giving something away with their logo on it (such as manual scans) but once you start making a profit from another company's name, you might be stood on shaky ground

As Helen kinda intimated, you're basically saying it's a Tamiya product, and it's not.

Or bailiffs :)

Ill buy some if there cheap enough though hahahaha pmsl, just a joke, no need to get all mad again lol

Guest joelvardy

#1 twinset, please stop being my spell checker, surely you can ignore them

#2 as for profits the price I was going to make them meant that I would not get any profits from them, but I did say profits, shouldn't have

If i did make them then I would have put a note inside saying that they were made by me...... I might make a few for select people with there name on it, but I think for teh reasons you have explained I will not brand them with tamiya...

Followup to come soon....

especially as there are all of the repro cars around

The repro/Chinese copies etc don't say they're Tamiya - don't confuse copying a product with trading off another company's name, they're two different things.

Take Kenwood - hifi and food mixers - two massively different, totally unconnected companies, and yet Kenwood food products stopped Kenwood hifi using the name for years (It was Trio for the first ten years I remember it)

Same with WWF wrestiling/Panda promotion

The World Wildlife Fund considered their 'brand' was more associated with muscle-bound ballet dancing and withdrew their permission to use WWF any longer.

Using the word Tamiya on anything without checking the law first might be a daft move

Guest joelvardy
Using the word Tamiya on anything without checking the law first might be a daft move

That is why I asked on here first,

I do understand that trading from the name of another company is wrong, but I was never going to say that they were produced by tamiya.

Cheers.

#1 twinset, please stop being my spell checker, surely you can ignore them

#2 as for profits the price I was going to make them meant that I would not get any profits from them, but I did say profits, shouldn't have

If i did make them then I would have put a note inside saying that they were made by me...... I might make a few for select people with there name on it, but I think for teh reasons you have explained I will not brand them with tamiya...

Followup to come soon....

Just before you go you made another spelling mistake in the above post hahahaha

Surely you can crack a smile xx

Guest joelvardy

yeah I can crack a smile but sometimes after months of making post and keep getting it you get annoyed.

I appreciate it in a way as I see where i go wrong and check my post first but I don't see twinset check anyone else's posts, it seem that just because I am 14 I am a target.

But this is completely off topic

Sorry if I seem a bit cranky, I am looking after a baby with teething while me bro is out

yeah I can crack a smile but sometimes after months of making post and keep getting it you get annoyed.

I appreciate it in a way as I see where i go wrong and check my post first but I don't see twinset check anyone else's posts, it seem that just because I am 14 I am a target.

But this is completely off topic

Sorry if I seem a bit cranky, I am looking after a baby with teething while me bro is out

Hey no worries, I didn't no you keep getting stick for it, I thought it was just in this thread, I can see it would become annoying time and time again though, if I had of known I wouldn't of said anything, im **** at spelling so I read mine back and modify it if ive made mistakes lol

My son is 10 months old and teething bad today, was going to get my bro to look after him tonight lol, my mates rc car got nicked today so was off out to cheer her up but shes coming here now, so all good. Can you believe my son has 8 teeth at only 10 months old.

Have you got some teething gel for him/her that helps or something cold he/she can chew on.

Nothing worse than a crying baby and im 29 lol

Take care x

Guest joelvardy

Its OK,

Yeah he has some gel and this teddy bare that has "bonjela - spell it right" written on it which is filled with liquid that she chews on

Sorry to hear about the stolen car.

Joel

Its OK,

Yeah he has some gel and this teddy bare that has "bonjela - spell it right" written on it which is filled with liquid that she chews on

Sorry to hear about the stolen car.

Joel

Are thats good, yeah couldn't believe it when she told me,

God I really didn't want to put this, really not taking the **** but you put "he" has some gel and then... that"she" chews on

I think you may be having one of those days Joel xx, surely I can see a bigger smile now

Guest joelvardy

yes I did smile then!

it is a SHE - same name as you too Helen

post-14761-1183234278.jpg

yes I did smile then!

it is a SHE - same name as you too Helen

Another helen, (another bling girl lol) aarrrrr ickle helen. I want a daughter but im pregnant again with another boy

Guest joelvardy

Ah, My bro has 2 girls, one called Lucy she was 5 a week ago and this cute little Helen.

I have just come back home after my bro and wife returned home asking me if I wanted to looks after the girls tonight downstairs for 10 but I will let my sister in law have the pleasure :)

Joel, as Twinset said do not put Tamiya or any other incarnation of "Tamiya" ie the two star`s or TRF etc. It really isnt worth a lawsuit, even if your selling them with no profit your still charging for them and that is enough my friend for the big T to get aggrinoyed.

Guest joelvardy

Yeah I fully understand that now..

I agree with what everyone has said except one part you posted....

TRF etc.

I don't understand why TRF has anything to do with tamiya

Yeah I fully understand that now..

I agree with what everyone has said except one part you posted....

I don't understand why TRF has anything to do with tamiya

Tamiya Racing Factory aka TRF, some of the higher spec touring car`s and buggies come with TRF stickers, I do beleive.

Guest joelvardy
Tamiya Racing Factory aka TRF, some of the higher spec touring car`s and buggies come with TRF stickers, I do beleive.

Sorry I thought TRF was used as a term in real 1:1 racing sorry

TRF is a Tamiya 'device' although not sure it's copyrighted or just associated, by some, with Tamiya hop-ups etc.

Not sure if it appears on kit decal sheets though? I got it on a couple of 'spares' decal sheets.

You'd really need a good trawl through their website to find their trademarks etc, or they may be in the manuals

Why not just put a misspelling of an actual car part name? Rockstar do it all the time in their games to avoid lawsuits, so do quite a few others. Its sounds simlar but isnt within breach of copyright

Guest joelvardy
TRF is a Tamiya 'device' although not sure it's copyrighted or just associated by some to do with Tamiya hop-ups etc.

You'd really need a good trawl through their website to find their trademarks etc, or they may be in the manuals

Yeah I think that I will forget tamiya altogether and do something different like having people user names or real names printed on teh disks

also just real looking ones like cross drilled ones

Why not just put a misspelling of an actual car part name? Rockstar do it all the time in their games to avoid lawsuits, so do quite a few others. Its sounds simlar but isnt within breach of copyright

I think the orignal question was aimed at making faux brake disks with TAMIYA cut/engraved into them, and the legallities involved with it - not much market for badly spelt bling :)