TheFinn

Argh The Pain - Scorcher Lost In Post!?

Yes, i can't believe it either myself, but it looks like there's a big chance my sand scorcer is lost somewhere between UK and Finland. All hope is not gone yet, but as you folks must understand, i'm really losing my hair out of worry here!

Here's the scene:

i won an eBay auction last month for an pretty rusty old knackered, but at the same time almost fully complete, sand scorcher. Seller shipped it on 28th, with an expected turnabout time of 5-7 days. I waited, waited and waited, but the packet never appeared. It's been over two weeks now! I've called the Finnish post a couple of times with the royal mail receipt number i got from the seller, but it doesn't show up in the system - it should if it has been received to the country. Now i've asked the seller to sort this out in the UK end with parcel force, as i can't do anything more on the subject for now. At least the package was sent as "recorded delivery", so i am really really hoping it should be found?

My questions are, could anyone from you UK lads tell me what are the chances my scorcher will be found by the Royal Mail? Does anyone have experience on these type of things, like how long does it usually take for royal mail to sort out a claim for lost package? Is a shipment sent "recorded delivery" reasonably safe for overseas shipping? Or could it just be that the terror threat now slows royal mail this much down?

It is not about the money only (ofcourse that stings me VERY much too), but what more i am afraid that another piece of HISTORY is now lost forever! This just annoys the heck out of me ;) I am so much hoping this will go away as a bad dream and the packet just arrives!

- thefinn

p.s: mind you, the seller is listed as an power seller with loads of positive feedback, i have no reason to believe i've been conned in any way. The seller seems very OK and genuinely willing to help me out. But then again, if i really do end up never receiving the package I will upload the auction pics here - just in case it appears up on sale somewhere mysteriously.

I had 3 speed parts show up to me USA from UK 6 months later after I'd been refunded and seller disapeared.

Well the 28th of June to the 13th of July is around 2 weeks, which I admit is a rather long time for airmail to finland.

However there have been two royal mail postal strikes about pay since then - I know how can the royal mail make a lose with its monopoly and not be able to pay its workers, and all that rubbish but still that might have affected your parcel as it has several of my postal items.

My advice tho would be to go to the royalmail site and enter your code as this should tell u where it is.

Or phone them up which often works better than an e-mail for getting results.

Best of Luck tho

Ryck

I had 3 speed parts show up to me USA from UK 6 months later after I'd been refunded and seller disapeared.

OK i guess 2 weeks is nothing yet then ;) But still... I've received lots of stuff from the UK lately but never ever has it taken this much time, so the situation seems a bit grim to me ;)

Sorry to hear about what appears to be a lost parcel. Royal Mail's "recorded delivery" (correct name "Recorded signed for") is exactly what it says. All it gives you is confirmation that a record has been made of a delivery. You cannot use the number to enter into the Track & Trace system if it never arrives at its destination as it will have never been signed for.

Items sent by "special delivery" have full tracking which is a more preferable method when it comes to making claims for lost goods as Royal Mail will only cover losses of up to 34 for "recorded signed for" items.

Larger items usually leave the U.k. under Parcelforces control (part of Royal Mail).

Here is a link to Royal Mail's website, but I think you need to be sure exactly what service was paid for. Finding something which was "lost" with recorded delivery is I think a no-hoper. A couple of years ago I read that the Royal Mail lose approximately 300,000 items a week and just pay out on a few claims where valuables were considered "lost".

When the Royal Mail go and look for something missing, it is up to the sender to inform them where the item was dispatched from, so hopefully they can work out the route the parcel will have taken, but just from the voucher number, I'm afraid they haven't got much of a clue. Believe me, this is from first hand experience!

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/home/

Hope it eventually turns out o.k.

Mud.

I must admit i feel bit like kicking my own butt for not pressuring the seller more vigorously on sending the packet with the "special delivery", i asked for insured shipping but got no reply from him - then i just kinda let it go and decided to trust on the sellers judgment. I should have really pressed him that i want it sent with full insurance etc ;)

But thanks for these infos and support guys, i am really hoping that it would just eventually show up late due to these strikes mentioned. Maybe it is just late, but how long should i wait..

"Royal Mail - with us it's personal." Reaaaallly? I have a few friends at Tamiyaclub that beg to differ. ;)

Yes, anyone may replace my "lost"s in my previous post with "stolen" and it reads more truthfully!

Mud.

there was a strike by royal mail staff last week, could it be possible that the package is delayed in the backlog?

they have been on strike again last night and today also.

there was a strike by royal mail staff last week, could it be possible that the package is delayed in the backlog?

they have been on strike again last night and today also.

I am seriously hoping for this to be the reason! It is not too comforting reading about these comments of "stolen" or lost stuff.. Ofcourse, the guilty part could be Finnish post too as i know these things can happen here too (yes even in the so called scandinavian "wellfare societies" lol) ;) .

possible i suppose, but if its already a couple of weeks late, id very much doubt it, and start preparing for the worst.

However, some parcells can turn up months later.

royal mail are getting worse tho, even with special delivery items !

I've had items from the UK take up to 3 weeks before showing up on my doorstep (UK-Netherlands).

Also, Priority Mail doesn't always equal Air Mail, and some sellers say they'll send stuff by Air Mail, and send it by standard mail instead - especially if the shipping quote they gave you is too low. ;)

That's odd, because whenever i've ordered from the UK the shipping has been rediculously fast- under a week from item bought to delivered to my door.

A VERY HAPPY ENDING FOR THIS TOPIC!!!! :rolleyes:

Yep, i have the car right here in front of me, just arrived today!!! Couldn't be happier :)

So i guess those strikes did slow them down and miracles happen after all.. ;)

A VERY HAPPY ENDING FOR THIS TOPIC!!!! :rolleyes:

Yep, i have the car right here in front of me, just arrived today!!! Couldn't be happier :)

So i guess those strikes did slow them down and miracles happen after all.. ;)

Pics!!!!

Badboy

All i have is the auction pics yet, but i'll try to update my showroom soon.

Boy what a shed-find this car is, i just can't WAIT to get my resto project going - there's a lot to work on with this rusty-rat baby :rolleyes::)

Nice. a little banged up but still cool. A restoration is in order!