Agent Orange

Stadium Thunder Motor Options

Hi

I'm starting to feel the need more speed on my Stadium Thunder I have as a basher. With the standard tyres it was loads of fun to slide around but have just put on Proline Dirt Hawgs at the rear which are ever so slightly taller. The grip is hugely improved but now it's so easy to control it feel slow.

Does anyone have any motor recommendations to improve on the standard RS540 Sport Tuned motor I'm currently using? I have an ESC that'll handle down to 15 turn but suspect something that powerful would strip the gearbox plus I don't really want to go that low and have short run times.

All my driving is off road on mostly lose dirt/gravel. Is something like a 21x2 motor going to give that extra grunt and little bit of extra speed?

Cheers

Hi

I'm starting to feel the need more speed on my Stadium Thunder I have as a basher. With the standard tyres it was loads of fun to slide around but have just put on Proline Dirt Hawgs at the rear which are ever so slightly taller. The grip is hugely improved but now it's so easy to control it feel slow.

Does anyone have any motor recommendations to improve on the standard RS540 Sport Tuned motor I'm currently using? I have an ESC that'll handle down to 15 turn but suspect something that powerful would strip the gearbox plus I don't really want to go that low and have short run times.

All my driving is off road on mostly lose dirt/gravel. Is something like a 21x2 motor going to give that extra grunt and little bit of extra speed?

Cheers

This looks very similar to a bearhawk apart from the casing is red. I've been using a 10 Turn motor in it for a long time and apart from the soft pinion gear wearing and breaking of multiple driveshafts (until i installed thundershot drive shafts) the transmission handles it fine. So i would say you would be good to go down to your ESC limit if you wanted but i would stick with 19 turn to give a reasonable turn of speed/torque and good runtimes too. You will also be quite far away from your ESC's limit so shouldnt have any issues there

Mark

Agreed. Also, get a 19turn with adjustable timing so if its too fast you can tone it down or too slow you can tone it up.

I use a 19 double in mine with the slightly taller Schumacher Vee-4 rear tyres. This seems a good combination, although I wouldn't worry about putting something hotter in. The drivetrain on the Stadium Thunder/Blitzer beetle chassis is very strong as long as you subsitute the standard dog bones for UJ shafts. People put brushless systems on these. 19 double is fine with standard dogbone drive shafts though.

One of mine is bashed to badword and really quite abused - running on tarmac, gravel, grass and beaches regularly with no problems.

Was considering a Tamiya Super Stock BZ 26,000rpm and 500g/cm torque, which I think equates to 50Nmm, but as you've run a 19x2 ok I may look out for something with more torque than the BZ. Been considering UJs after a mate had a problem with his drive shafts the other night so will grab some too.

Thanks for your replies I appreciate it and will help me choose.

Cheers

Was considering a Tamiya Super Stock BZ 26,000rpm and 500g/cm torque, which I think equates to 50Nmm, but as you've run a 19x2 ok I may look out for something with more torque than the BZ. Been considering UJs after a mate had a problem with his drive shafts the other night so will grab some too.

Thanks for your replies I appreciate it and will help me choose.

Cheers

UJ's (CVD's) or Thundershot drive shafts are definately needed. I sheared off 4 or 5 drive shafts near the plastic dogbones but since changing to TS driveshafts had no problems. I believe they are the same as Dark Impact ones too so easy to come across.

Good luck

Mark