Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sanding, masking, spraying. I'm still working on the Mad Fighter body, although today I moved on to the blue colour, after hopefully finishing with the white a couple of days ago and rubbing down the areas that needed it. I've been doing so much rubbing lately, I'm surprised I haven't started any fires! Anyway, I went fairly heavy on the blue coat, with three separate thin layers at 15 minute intervals. Judging distance and speed is still tripping me up here and there. Too far away and I get the tangerine effect. Too close or too slow a fly by and the paint goes on too thick and runs. I don't mind runs as they can be sanded down before the next coat, but when the paint goes on thick, it can cause a problem when removing the masking tape, leaving a noticeable 'step' at the edge of the paint line. Hopefully a final sanding down and then some coats of lacquer will remove/hide it enough. The problem being the potential muddying of the white paint where it meets the blue during sanding. I guess I'll see what happens. Maybe I'm not finished with the white paint.

Yesterday I removed and cleaned up/replaced the oil and seals on the Madcap's rear Hi-cap dampers. What was unusual was the old damper oil had taken on the colour of the damper - that dark metal colour. This would suggest rubbing inside the damper, but I could see no other evidence of this.

When I cleaned up the front dampers a few days ago, their oil was not discoloured at all, and was still clear. The rear damper's oil looked like dark silver paint. Very odd.

what is going on with my posts? Font size is 2 in the drop down menu above, but my posts all look like this?

edit: typical for it not to happen that time!

Charged one 5000mAh NiMh battery to play with my re-re Lunchbox in the snow, but it was getting too late and too cold, såo I dropped the planned trip out for a snow bash....

I lowered my slammed 67' Bug project some more, and some ideas came to my head....

Well, I have opened my Scorcher the other day that I have had sonic release this year and decided to build it. The build went fine with no probes but have had a right nightmare painting/modding the shell in a baja racer stylie today. Been a while since I built painted anything and Im as rusty as an ol' nail.

I shortned the steering linkage on my slammed bug and did take a short video it if testriding outside ;)

Finished the paint and decals on the Blitzer respray, and got my Mod Clod running. Twin LiPo, Twin 13.5T Brushless motors, which are only linked at the radio, so give a parallel wiring effect for more grunt and run time at the expense of out and out speed. The speed is just right too, and with this set up it does cog a little a low speeds, but is fine for the real rough stuff. Just to decide the shell, and am likely to go for the HPI El Camino one.

Today I'm going to be giving my Super Clod a bit of a tweak to make it a more capable runner. Replacing the shocks, and looking at ways of taking the slop out of the steering, either by making up some brackets to fit steering servos directly to the axles, or by taking some of the slop out of the single servo set up. It'll also be fitted with the twin 550s that came out of the Mod Clod, and be powered by the 8.4V Traxxas battery that came with my Slash 4x4.

I have a feeling I'm going to respray it too ;)

Finished the largest part of the spraying of my Mad Fighter and removed the masking. Blue overspray found it's way onto the white in two small areas, but a quick rub down and that vanished, although the areas do need a quick mask and touch up, along with a couple of tricky areas where the paint didn't go on so well. 5 minutes with a very fine paint brush and that will be sorted.

I've still got to lacquer it and rub it down, paint the roll cage (flat black) and paint the wing, either all white or white and blue. Haven't decided.

Went for a crawl with some of the guys from the New Zealand Radio control Rock Crawling Club, then later in the day went to the beach again for more sand filled (and I mean sand filled!) fun with the scorcher 'til the sun went down!

What a blast of a day! :lol:

I made a video of my Buggy Champ in the rain, but can't get it to upload. ;)

Cheers,

Skottoman

Well the hop up work had mixed success today. The 550 motors are too long for the standard suspension arms, and a rather annoying "feature" of the way the suspension geometry works on the Clod means that you're forced to have so much distance between the axles on the body - so you can't increase it for more articulation without entirely replacing it, or it makes the axles wonky. Managed to make up a couple of plates that replace the longer side metal pieces on the top of the axles into servo mounts (Pics to follow). At the moment, the back end of the servos foul on the dampers, but again with an after market 4 link system on there, that should solve that problem as well.

ClodMods001.jpg

ClodMods002.jpg

CPE do a 4 link system specifically designed to fit on a standard Clod chassis without affecting the wheelbase, so this will remain as is until next month when I can get those bits bought and fitted. I've spent a lot on RC this month with one thing and another, so I think I'd better wait till payday for the next batch of bits ;)

I've also made some longer body mounts and put the existing Super Clod body on the Mod Clod, so I've got at least one Clod to take with me to the Kent bash at the weekend! Given that I'll probably end up respraying that body anyway, I'm not too fussed about the holes I've put in it. (The earlier King Blackfoot resto gave me a crash course in Isopon P38 for body filling.)

Made a new chassis plate for the Scorcher to do away with the radio box and give more surface area for placing radio gear as well as the facility for fitting normal sized batteries. As part of this, ditched the torsion bars for the rear suspension and fitted a couple of TL01 55mm ally coil overs.

Pics here: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...77&id=28362

Currently making a 4 link setup for Clod 1

Pics to follow!

I ran the basket case Jugg2 for the first time. Used my 'pimped' TEU101BK to run it and had no problems in 10mins bashing round the garden. The heatsink on the speedo was still cold when I stopped. ;) The steering needs a bit of a tweak, otherwise it's great. Just need to fit the bodyshell now......

On the minus side picked up a parking fine :D

I fell in love!!! I built a rere Boomerang for a raffle we'll be running over the November and December periods. That is one cool piece of kit. Waiting for paint to finish the body and then it'll be on display in the shop until the day we do the lucky draw.

Oh and I'm back on the club and forums after a hextix few weeks with internet connection problems and a stock take here at my workplace. It feels good to catch up on what's happening.

:)

Woke up at 5:45am went to work. Got in at 6:30pm and started rubbing the Clodbuster shell down :)

Pretty much had the day to myself. Cleaned up my Hobby Shed. Put away all my stuff from racing on the week-end & cleaned my car. Took some photo's & updated my Tamiyaclub showroom. Then there was a few unimportant chores to do around the house. Now I'm going to continue building my 2010 sand scorcher. No a bad day @ all I think.

Finished the four links on Clod 1. Also cut off the lugs off the front C pieces to enable more steering throw. Locked out the back axle to make it 2WS. Took it for a quick burn around the living room and with those mods makes all the difference to the way the car performs. It'll actually go the way I point it, no slop in the steering and no crabbing at all after a turn. Started pulling the stock stickers off, and will rub down in preparation for a respray tomorrow.

Ordered up an HPI El Camino shell for the Mod Clod. Can't wait to see the two Clods on the shelf next to each other.. will be quite an awe inspiring duo! (and don't worry bash fans, they won't stay on the shelf for any longer than they have to :lol: )

I sold one of my DT-02s, reducing the fleet to:

2 x DT-02 Desert Gator/Super Fighter hybrids

2 x DF-03 Dark Impact

1 x DB-01 Durga

1 x DB01R Durga

1 x Twin Detonator

1 x TA04 RWD special

Still at it getting the last paint of my one King Blackfoot shell. I'm nearly done after last nights ordeal. I really want to get it done and do a respray in a more acceptable colour than the flourescent yellow it was. Just a heck of a thing to get all of it of the rear bed in all the tight corners.

;)

Filed my King tiger idler arms to the correct diameter with a needle file so they will fit through a 6mm hole for the monster steel chassis. Also cut some heavy duty torsion bar springs for it out of old hacksaw blades with an angle grinder.

I fell in love!!! I built a rere Boomerang for a raffle we'll be running over the November and December periods. That is one cool piece of kit. Waiting for paint to finish the body and then it'll be on display in the shop until the day we do the lucky draw.

Oh and I'm back on the club and forums after a hextix few weeks with internet connection problems and a stock take here at my workplace. It feels good to catch up on what's happening.

:lol:

Really? I have one of those and while it's pretty to look at, it's only about as fast as my Turbo Blaster (Jet Hopper chassis)

Really? I have one of those and while it's pretty to look at, it's only about as fast as my Turbo Blaster (Jet Hopper chassis)

B) Yup, really! To me it's not about speed. I build mostly for display. I bought my TNX and Super Levant to satisfy any need for speed. The way the Boomerang and Hot Shot were designed and the joy of the build was great on the Boomerang. I have a NIB rere Hot Shot and after building the Boomer I ordered a rere too.

Well back to what I did today............. spend yet more time sanding and struggling to get the last paint of my one Blackfoot truck. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, so not much longer before I can apply the primer. Question now is, basher/beater look or shiny show truck?

B) Yup, really! To me it's not about speed. I build mostly for display. I bought my TNX and Super Levant to satisfy any need for speed. The way the Boomerang and Hot Shot were designed and the joy of the build was great on the Boomerang. I have a NIB rere Hot Shot and after building the Boomer I ordered a rere too.

Well back to what I did today............. spend yet more time sanding and struggling to get the last paint of my one Blackfoot truck. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, so not much longer before I can apply the primer. Question now is, basher/beater look or shiny show truck?

Depends if it's a blackfoot or a king blackfoot.

If it's the former, shelf it - the gearbox will fall to pieces before long

If it's the latter, stuff an 8.5 brushless in it and a wheelie bar, and have a grin bigger than the Jokers for the rest of your life.

Depends if it's a blackfoot or a king blackfoot.

If it's the former, shelf it - the gearbox will fall to pieces before long

If it's the latter, stuff an 8.5 brushless in it and a wheelie bar, and have a grin bigger than the Jokers for the rest of your life.

KBF Matt. My thoughts were more towards 35t motor for some nice slowish trail running. The great thing is that with 2 trucks I can share the fun with my son. So the less speed, the less damage we can cause.