Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

DDCD7873-9A9A-4BD2-840C-403C819AE7AD-897-000000EF87C2707F.jpg

They build up quick dont they! Picked mine up this morning. Considering that the wheels and tyres on this kit are the same as a HB2010, it shows how just a little change (in this case black wheels instead of yellow) can make or break the look of a car! These black wheels look so much better than the yellow ones on the HB2010 IMO. I can't stand the purple body tho :)

• Like 1

That 201 is looking good! Great wheel/paint combo.

Not sure why they're so expensive on eBay, Tamiya USA have them for a killer deal at the moment for US$184 which I think is pretty amazing.

Deal of the century for sure. I even talked a co worker into buying one as well. Must be nice to have a TRF as a 1st RC huh?

I still think THIS is the golden age of RC. Hour-long runtimes, insane performance, super tuned chassis, inexpensive high-tech equipment It's insane to think my buddy just got into RC for ~$450 for everything brand new (includes tools). Thanks Hobbyking.

Scored a(nother) warning point here on TC which was cool and after that, purely by chance I turned on the TV in the den and there was RC car action!

I didn't know this stuff was televised on "Motors TV" (I'm in Amsterdam, NL and have no idea where else this is broadcast). It was a 25 minute show, almost 100% "live" racing action. I'm sure it's nothing you can't find on YouTube but seeing it on TV was cool. B)

Unfortunately in the shot below you see Lee crashed out whislt fighting for the lead (at the beginning of the race) and finished low.

RCTV01.jpg

hiya man,

you can catch up with the whole 7 seasons here , http://www.rcracingtv.net/ ,

;):)

• Like 1

Must be nice to have a TRF as a 1st RC huh?

Yes. :blink: Man I think back to when I started with a "proper" car (after a Hornet) and had to save funds for bearings in my Manta Ray as some people were whipping out Top Forces then Evo's... when I finally got my first Evo it was something really, really special. In a way I'm glad I had the plastic experience before the carbon one.

I still think THIS is the golden age of RC. Hour-long runtimes, insane performance, super tuned chassis, inexpensive high-tech equipment It's insane to think my buddy just got into RC for ~$450 for everything brand new (includes tools). Thanks Hobbyking.

I couldn't agree more. Even 6 years ago it was far less accessible. And if you wanted a LiPo setup back then or even a low turn ESC and strong servo you were paying through the nose. Even LiPo chargers were like 200 bucks. My first 501X cost ~USD$1100 all in (vehicle + electrics) 6 years ago, my 511 cost US$600 all in 3 years later and with better equipment. Now as you say you can do it all, even at the top end, for close to $450 with is becoming very accessible for many regions.

The ridiculous part was that $450 figure I threw out included the 50watt AC/DC charger, TWO 5800mah 30c lipos, hex wrenches AND socket wrenches. If he didn't buy that stuff, it would have been about $150 less!

If I add up the chassis, tires, foams, ESC, Receiver, Motor & extra stickers I get $287!!!!! :blink:

***edit: Forgot that also included the receiver too.

• Like 1

Today I had an unusual amount of time on my hands after classes. Between classes I took my Avante outside - it proved less than stellar, with the car creating a lot of noise and running rather slowly.

So I changed the drive gear and the pinion gear, breaking into my brand-new Torque Splitter Set in so doing:

imag2905.jpg

The offending gears were changed, with the 22T pinion being replaced for a 23T type since it was all I had. Unfortunately, it was also an AV gear, but again it will have to do. All that and cleaning the motor thoroughly made a massive difference as the car is now much quieter and appears almost twice as fast as before. It was a simple rebuild, but part of this hobby that I love is being able to fix something that is broken.

The other gears will have to wait for another day. In the long term I want to replace this car's swing shafts to reduce play between them and the drive cups, rebuild the shocks and save up for a brushless system, but for now I am content with my work.

Being the first time I actually had that much quality time to devote to RC cars, it made me quite happy:

imag2920.jpg

• Like 3

Just got my Stadium Thunder up and running with 9T ezRun brushless and 2S Lipo.

Big smiles... :D

Not quite as mental as Mr. Stinkus' Blitzer Beetle with 3S, but then it's still more or less in one piece! ;)

Now to make some progress on the inner tub cover...

cut out and test fitted the Egress body, more prep required before painting but had to see what it looked like :D ...

IMG_0014_zpsf496a73c.jpg

stripped these down..

IMG_0298_zpsbe850992.jpg

cleaned them up a little..

IMG_0012_zpsbe4c289f.jpg

and mailed them off for re-anodizing :D 

• Like 1

That body looks v. sexy with those wheels... I would almost be tempted not to even paint it - it's nice to see the insides!

Wow. Just watched Django Unchained and if you like a great Tarantino action flick, or just great movies (with lots of action) then you need to see this. I'm not entirely sure how it's so good, I'm no film critic, but it's 2:45 long (!) and I didn't so much as think of being distracted. I couldn't watch 30 mins of the Hobbit without thinking about something else (quite possibly RC) and I'm from NZ! :D

Truly classic movie.

• Like 1

Cut, masked and airbrushed a Boomerang body - first time with a dual action airbrush and my first use of Faskolor paints - seemed to go OK, although not convinced Faskolor bonds with lexan like PS paint does - time will tell i guess ;) 

Well I drove about 4 1/2 hours to head to my Bro's place & did a detour to Beetlebanger1's place .

As i now own a beetlebanger1 Sand Scorcher :D . Good price , with all the thigs i got with it .

So thanks beetlebanger ....

Now i will just do some matman upgrades to it & run it more .... Can't wait to have a run .

I have built a sand scorcher , But i have not run it . So this will be the 1st SS i have run .

So thank you Sir ! . ...

Cut, masked and airbrushed a Boomerang body - first time with a dual action airbrush and my first use of Faskolor paints - seemed to go OK, although not convinced Faskolor bonds with lexan like PS paint does - time will tell i guess ;) 

Faskolor takes it time drying & i didn't like that i could not sand it if needed ( on hard body ) .

Even that i had left it for a week to dry . As it's water based etc .

Coverage was not that great & had to put on several coats .

How did you go with it ?. I do like the colours that they have .

Wheelied (and damaged) my shortened TL-01.

Took my son over to the woods with his Violet Racer. 3800mAh LiPo lasted almost half an hour.

I think my camera skills need some work!

2_zps666885b6.jpg

1_zps8954bccd.jpg

Faskolor takes it time drying & i didn't like that i could not sand it if needed ( on hard body ) .

Even that i had left it for a week to dry . As it's water based etc .

Coverage was not that great & had to put on several coats .

How did you go with it ?. I do like the colours that they have .

Used about 25ml total for the shell and wing. Coverage was very good and it dried quickly. I was using fan heater to warm the body as it was ca 3'C outside temp and not a whole lot warmer in my garage :(

I'm not convinced it's bonded into the lexan but as it'll only get light running I don't suppose it'll matter too much. Waiting on a parts, d parts and decals now- hopefully all will arrive in next two weeks so another project will be off the list ;)

Took my son over to the woods with his Violet Racer. 3800mAh LiPo lasted almost half an hour.

I think my camera skills need some work!

With a LiPo in such a light car? I do not believe it is the camera skills, since it did well to capture the speed of the Violet Racer!

Speaking of violet: I continued to experiment with Super Clean to strip paint from wheels and bumper pieces. Right now all the articles are sitting in glass jars with purple fluid... It seems to be going well. No picture yet since my camera/phone is drying out in a bowl of rice.

Just finished my Blitzer beetle lexan shell. Pic's in the re re section.

Just bought Stella's last Super Shot for $220 as I feel they are drying up now. My mate bought a Re Re S/S as well from e bay but $50 more.

Just about to tear down my Boomer's front gearbox to replace the gears or if possible shim up as it's slipping.

Start my re build of my Lazer ZX!!!

Ordered some CRP shock towers for my Turbo Optima project

Just one question. Do you lads do anything else, like eat, sleep, work, or time for nature call.:-D

bought a NEW rovan baja. 30.5 cc.. had the orignal baja a couple yrs back, and also seen the clone version up front the clone was more dependable the nthe HPI one... :P so after much ddebate i got a super deal from DANLC on ebay..