Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Congratulations Brom!!

That Airwolf is a Heli Artist 450 size fuselage over a Twister 3D storm heli. I don't have any clips. It's now a static display, took the receiver out for the Bruiser build, other than that it's fully functional, just some finishing required on the fuselage conversion.

Cheers

Nito

Ps. That's KITT just below the TV, A team van in the cabinet minus front tyres which are on the bruiser at the moment!! Guess whose formative years were in the 80's lol!!

• Like 1

Amazing weather today, I took my youngest to Oxshott woods with our Blackfoot and we had a great time.

There were quite a few other people with the same idea, so there was a lot of R.C action around us as well.

Trimmed, masked, and started painting an Audi R8 body shell for my TT-01E. Also did some tinkering with the code for the "Open source lights" that I'm working on adding to a different body shell. (Not sure what the rules are on linking to other forums, but there's so one who's come up with some great realistic lights for rc cars using arduino)

Posted Image

I also spent the day painting up a Mad Bull shell. This is the first time I've used a proper airbrush. (My only previous airbrush experience is with a plastic Humbrol and compressed gas when I was about 12.)

I'm using Createx Auto Air paints and some Churchills Automotive Plastic primer (adhesion promoter) and Churchills automotive 1K clear coat.

The plastic primer is a clear/yellowy liquid, goes on without thinning and basically etches the shell. It looked like a matt dull finish, I didn't get any pics, too engrossed in what I was doing.

Next up was a base sealer coat. Createx 4500 series sparkle paints require a base coat, generally white or black. I opted for both because I wanted to see what difference it would make to the shade of the Blizzard Blue that I'm planning to use on my Bruiser shell. Below, painted with white base coat and masked up ready for the black.

med_gallery_28308_3756_561272.jpg

black going on...

med_gallery_28308_3756_1426603.jpg

Well impressed with the finish using an airbrush...

med_gallery_28308_3756_486530.jpg

Base coats finished...

med_gallery_28308_3756_601422.jpg

Then Blizzard Blue laid down. After approx two to three coats;

med_gallery_28308_3756_485673.jpg

After eight thin coats...

med_gallery_28308_3756_594850.jpg

This is the kit I'm using...the airbrush has a 0.5mm nozzle and fan pattern cap as well as a normal cap. I did a tonne of research and I'm delighted with what I ended up with for this application. I'd been wanting an airbrush kit for quite a few years so when I mananged to find a discounted price on Black Friday it kind of forced my hand. I have invested heavily in this but its top quality stuff and I'm one for getting the best tools I can afford even if it means waiting longer, that way I can never blame my tools and hold myself fully responsible if I can't do a decent job and they should last the test of time...well that's my way of justifying the expense!!

med_gallery_28308_3756_438915.jpg

I might do one or two more coats, then it's clear coat time which I'm most anxious about. So far so good. It has been a very satisfying experience! The base coats went through the brush fine un thinned. With the sparklescent colour, I put it through neat to start with but ended up thinning it with Autoair reducer 4012 which made it run far nicer out of the brush. I mixed up about 10ml at a time which seemed to suffice for each coat. I think the thinning must have been about 20% by volume. I used 70ml for 8 coats and that has done both sides of the shell, first coats were thinner mist coats, I didn't start thinning the mix until after about the fifth coat. For sealer I believe I used 10ml of white to do two coats both sides. Black was less than 5ml from memory. Adhesion promoter was less than 5ml I believe. I did write it all down.

Cheers

Nito

• Like 4

You're doing a good job with the shell nito. And that airbrush kit looks amazing. Have you made yourself a spray booth? I cobbled one together out of crisp boxes but saw one that woodstock has bought with a built in extractor and it looks brilliant. If you're doing painting regularly it'd be worth getting one. If I find it I'll put the link on here for you.

Here it is....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5FT-Portable-Airbrushing-Spray-Booth-Hose-kit-Filter-Extraction-/121456298851?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c475c0b63

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Terz, I was going to get two of those ones before xmas, as they link up together to give a wider unit. Then I decided for the cost of getting two, I'd knock one up myself.

med_gallery_28308_3756_131804.jpg

I was really pleased with this and was going to make one in MDF later if it worked out ok, I even added a means to hang the components but when I started looking at suitable extraction things like cooker hoods seemed the best, it was like £70 or so plus pipes and fittings and things. In the end, either option would have ended up as up to £120. The wife wouldn't let me spray indoors (conservatory actually) until I had a booth. She refused to let me have my cardboard contraption in the conservatory because it wasn't aesthetically pleasing.

I'd heard that the ebay ones had issues with the electrics packing up (one of the stores that used to sell them - so I didn't want to spend out if they weren't reliable, I'm keen to see how woodstock gets on with them), then she convinced me to go for one of the serious ones I was looking at saying she'd like to use it too, seeing as I had forked out for decent airbrushes, this would likely become a permanent feature. I had been looking at some which were big money and as luck would have it, managed to source a relatively new booth for £800 (retails for £1850!!), still very costly but it works beautifully, it's pretty quiet, has lighting and it can double up as a workbench for the RC's and more importantly, it's now a permanent fixture :) which means it's ready to use any time (which is something I don't get much of!)

med_gallery_28308_3756_572549.png

So that is me completely sorted on that front. I dangle the two extraction pipes out of the window when spraying and they collapse neatly out of the way when not in use. It's a little industrial looking in that it's a metallic silver/grey colour but we'll soon get used to that. We've re-arranged the room and it's tucked away into a corner fairly neatly.

Cheers

Nito

• Like 4

There is nothing like getting the proper tools and equipment for the job. The end results will be just right. I think your wife made the right call, and that is why at times they are known as the better half.

I think your wife made the right call, and that is why at times they are known as the better half.

I think you might be right there lol!

Hi Dorvack,

it's not an airfed one so no 2k for me lol, I have one of these;

jsp-force-8-mask-p2-particulate-protecti

To be honest, I didn't use it with the water based paint, although I did use it with the adhesion promoter and will also use it for the 1k lacquer. I won't be spraying any 2k lacquer. That booth will extract 710m3/hr and keeps the room pretty scent free.

Cheers

Nito

Thanks Dorvack, yes it's good advice.

I shudder to think of some of the things I used to do years ago. I also open the top windows of the conservatory which gives me great airflow through the room, the wind blows in one side and out the other, it's an ideal setup for this.

Cheers

Nito.

Wow thats a great set up there mate, can we have some more shots of the spray booth? Also which Iwata airbrush is that?

:):):)

Thanks wood5tock.

It's the Iwata Kustom TH. It has a 0.5 needle/nozzle and the Kustom series comes with a larger paint bowl and the moisture filter as well as the snazzy case. It also has a fan pattern cap as well as a round pattern. To use the fan you need at least a 1.2cfm compressor. It's superb.

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=955

Cheers

Nito

Wow amazing booth nito. Like already mentioned you can't beat the right tools for the job. £800 isn't cheap but it's your hobby and you'll enjoy using it and will get amazing results as well as it being better for your health removing all those fumes.

I definately need to upgrade the crisp box spray booth now.

Thanks wood5tock. It's the Iwata Kustom TH. It has a 0.5 needle/nozzle and the Kustom series comes with a larger paint bowl and the moisture filter as well as the snazzy case. It also has a fan pattern cap as well as a round pattern. To use the fan you need at least a 1.2cfm compressor. It's superb. http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=955 CheersNito
Thanks for the info and the link, may well look at one if these in the future for block colouring :)
I definately need to upgrade the crisp box spray booth now.
Prawn Cocktail... :)
  • Like 1

First, checked the wheelbase on my custom 49400 Anniversary project...

DSC_0048.jpg

It was a bit of a heart-stopping moment not knowing if simply detracting 37mm from a standard wheelbase would just work, but it seems to have! Don't worry about the arches - this is just a rough cut for now.

Secondly I stickered-up the Super Fighter GR body which only arrived this afternoon. I haven't bothered painting it, since it is already gunmetal in colour it seemed kind of pointless. I did bother to do the small sections in matt black as per the instructions though, and made a start on the driver figure.

DSC_0047.jpg

And now I'm being summoned to bed because it's late and I'm going to be in a lot of trouble with the Mrs. Good job I have Valentine's day sorted this year eh?!

• Like 2

That super fighter is a good looking car, I'd love to convert one to monster spec!

The Super Fighter is indeed an attractive-looking kit. It is really nice to hear about the Super Fighter Cup, what that event is doing for Tamiya, and maybe even what it is doing for the hobby of RC cars in general.

I have done nothing as elaborate as organizing a one-make series; today I fitted Off-Roader tires to some wheels:

2q0r6aa.jpg

Given that it is the first hobby-related thing I did this year (besides give the Tamtech a 30-second drive), I am hoping the scent of fresh rubber on my hands may motivate me to get more done! Alas, it has been difficult on a student budget and now a student timeline...

I also ordered new Spektrum SR200 receivers, and forgot how weak the Canadian dollar was after the purchase :unsure:

That super fighter is a good looking car, I'd love to convert one to monster spec!

Indeed it is! I really wanted a basher buggy and could have got a Desert Gator for not much more but the lexan bodies don't do anything for me. Just waiting on some parts from Japan and Hong Kong and then the chassis will be put together.

• Like 1

If you ever wanted to, you could convert to monster spec for little more than a set of WR02 wheels/tyres and stub axles off a Mad Bull I suspect.

Like this pair of converted buggies!

med_gallery_28308_3741_231716.jpg

I recently bought a 3rd standard Hornet as a runner (which will be wearing white Montero wheels), but it was a toss up between the Hornet and the Super Fighter, the Super Fighter would be better suited, but the Hornet won because it was my first ever model and I desperately want to see how it goes in Monster guise having built two of them as shelf queens!

• Like 2

And now I'm being summoned to bed because it's late and I'm going to be in a lot of trouble with the Mrs.

Giving us a bit too much information there Reilluor! 😗

I've finally ordered the bearings for my Kyosho HOR motorcycle and I'm currently deliberating whether to add the chromed frame to my high grip tyres and alloy gearbox order with RCMart 😏

I needed a transport box for my Tamiya Volvo FH12 truck, and that's what I did. Got the idea from a German forum and replicate based on some photos.

15872509714_a552100cb5_c.jpg

16495064685_3392a89b25_c.jpg

16308799659_3fbe5979e4_c.jpg

• Like 1

Very neat. Can you get some foam padding to stop any lateral movement damaging the paintwork?

That's the idea. First I need to complete the box with a tray for the Transmitter, a box for extra battery, spares...plus sanding, etc.

Got the "realistic" lights working on my TT-01E. I used an arduino and some software I found on another forum, and it's got working indicators, break lights, and the lights are controllable from the transmitter..

• Like 1

Fell out my chair after seeing a Dynatech 02H go for £100 on eBay!

DSC_0054.jpg

Boom! Finished my custom chassis for the Porsche 934 project. Check out the steering lock you can get! I'll do a pproper write up when the body is finished.

• Like 9