Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My Opel Ascona 400 got its first run:

118g9y9.jpg

33xddoz.jpg

Unfortunately, few photos were taken as it was at night, but that left the focus open for driving. The car was refitted with an old set of Opel Ascona/Audi Quattro wheels and tires; hence their significant yellowing compared to the painted wheels I had previously prepared.

It seems the WR-02C is well-suited to loose dirt and possibly gravel. The car can be steered easily with the throttle, powering through corners where a Lancia Rally would spin. It was quite tame on the unprepared surfaces I ran it on tonight, inspiring confidence. It was predictably twitchy on high-grip pavement and brick, with its high centre of gravity, but it was tremendously agile. The longer wheelbase definitely curbed its tendency to pull wheelies, though the rear end would squat in an exaggerated manner when the throttle was pushed!

As this car retained the stock Honda City Turbo gearing and motor, it was painfully slow at top speed, but the acceleration is more important for drifting and control on dirt. Rally cars are rarely tuned for top-end performance, anyway... It does help to keep out of trouble while I sort out a proper bumper!

In the end, nothing broke - even after I managed to roll it over on the dirt - and I returned from the run quite pleased with its performance. The stock WR-02C is great on batteries; hence I did not have time to give the Lancia pictured below a run:

256ejwh.jpg

A race between these two competitors would be intriguing! The Lancia has the far-superior top-end speed and an edge on pavement performance, but the Ascona 400 is incredibly promising on loose dirt and has excellent agility...

• Like 9

Ran my Honda City Turbo on it's first 2s lipo...... it didn't seem much faster than on the 6cell Nimh.

I will GPS them today to find out for sure.

7 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Ran my Honda City Turbo on it's first 2s lipo...... it didn't seem much faster than on the 6cell Nimh.

I will GPS them today to find out for sure.

It might be 1-2 mph faster. That extra .2 volts does get you much, but it does help. It's the extra run time and lack of punch drop off that makes LiPos great. 

10 minutes ago, Theibault said:

It might be 1-2 mph faster. That extra .2 volts does get you much, but it does help. It's the extra run time and lack of punch drop off that makes LiPos great. 

That sounds about right.... today was a failure as my 3.7v 200Mah lipo powering my SKYRC GPS has failed to hold a charge.... no GPS until I get a new battery from somewhere ;p

18 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Finally finished and fixed thanks to Zuban

image.jpeg

Looks good!  Interesting combination of tires you're using there.  What surface do you plan on running it on?

18 minutes ago, Effigy3 said:

Looks good!  Interesting combination of tires you're using there.  What surface do you plan on running it on?

Thanks,, basically all around which i know those front jconcepts wont last to long but by my house there is a park where the dirt is perfect for them. I need to order another set of front rims and find a decent 4wd front all around tire. If you know any let me know thanks

19 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Finally finished and fixed thanks to Zuban

image.jpeg

Looks good. Your left rear tires tread is the wrong way. ;)

Finished the decalling of the Burns Brushless conversion. A vinyl cutter is a wondrous thing.

paper_template.jpg

illustrator.jpg

removed_vinyl.jpg

first_vinyl.jpg

finished.jpg

• Like 9

So....

So much for classic VW war paint. I'd been planning something along the lines of what the old 16v GTi Golfs used to wear in the BTCC and Stanic Group N championships. 

But,as I've said before,I'm something of an animist. I feel that,as a model builder,all you do is release the spirit of the model. The T25 had ideas of its own. The white base coat wasn't taking well. In part annoyance,part desperation I decided to go for an overall French blue. After the first powder coat,it kind looked like a blue sky with broken cirrus cloud. 

It looked so cool! All a couple of light,random over sprays with midnight blue...

3 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Thanks,, basically all around which i know those front jconcepts wont last to long but by my house there is a park where the dirt is perfect for them. I need to order another set of front rims and find a decent 4wd front all around tire. If you know any let me know thanks

What are they, Dirt Webs?  If so, they're a track oriented tread that might not grab much at all in loose dirt or grass.  You're mainly a basher right?  Pro-Line Blockades would make for a good dirt/grass tire but might wear fast on pavement/asphalt.  You could also try AKA Impacts.  If it were me I'd give Hole Shots a try at all 4 corners.  They're a really good all round tire.  Should have better grip than the Dirt Hawgs but better wear characteristics on hard surfaces than the Blockades.

The Dirt Hawgs are a decent all-rounder that sacrifices off road grip for wear life on hard surfaces but they don't make them in a 4WD front size which leaves you in a bit of a pickle for a matching front.  :( 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2016 at 7:54 PM, Grumpy pants said:

Oh and I collected my Blitzer from Andy who dealt with the final setting up for me.

Thanky up buddy, I appreciate it.

Simon

No Problem.  Let me know if you need anything else.

On 23/8/2015 at 9:04 PM, Blitz Supra said:

Today i have painted my Dyna Blaster Body.

blasterc9sec.jpg

What about this red?

Max

• Like 1

Paid import tax on my dog bones - finally. My 4 piggy-back shocks coming all the way from .AU land, which I assume is a much bigger package, and a lot more expensive, not to mention heavier, sailed right through customs.. *facepalm*

Decaled my Wraith

A42E3809-8920-4EB4-B99A-242D27DA334E_zps

Then wired up the front 4 LEDs to run off the receivers unused power socket, just need to extend the wires to the rear LEDs.

21498017-7005-4F29-A450-B4CA3533044E_zps

That'll help remind me when I've left the ESC on! Tried to keep it as neat as possible 😬

C35B527F-DF6F-4722-ABE0-324CF4B9566B_zps

Once I'm happy it doesn't foul anything I'll cable wrap and tie it in place.

• Like 4

Installed some dampers and dog bones (:

ELm3aBq.jpg

608fRif.jpg

I might make a new motor plate moving the rear wheels a couple of mms back, as the springs almost touch the upper arms.

Edited by Flerbizky
Added a shot from the front
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Flerbizky said:

Installed some dampers and dog bones (:

ELm3aBq.jpg

I might make a new motor plate moving the rear wheels a couple of mms back, as the springs almost touch the upper arms.

Are the arms on ball studs, can they be shimmed towards the motor, that would move it away from the spring 

1 hour ago, Roasty said:

Are the arms on ball studs, can they be shimmed towards the motor, that would move it away from the spring 

Unfortunately not. That was my first thought too. But on the right, the upper is already touching the clutch cover (barely). I could go Dremel on the upright, but do I really want to do that? If it looks like it'll be a problem, I'll make a new motor plate. Have already done one when I replaced the transmission, and it's really not a big job. 3-4 hours tops I think.

• Like 1

Not anything Tamiya today but did a bit more on my capri today, fitted a few engine bits - carb, manifold, dizzy etc etc

not a good photo but it was late😉

WP_20160803_20_16_08_Pro.jpg

• Like 7