Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 9/6/2016 at 7:39 PM, ChrisRx718 said:

Updated my TL01 project thread:

How did the TA03F drift car go?  I have a TA03R-S that I was thinking of selling or mayyybe converting to a standard F drift car.

1 hour ago, firefoxussr said:

How did the TA03F drift car go?  I have a TA03R-S that I was thinking of selling or mayyybe converting to a standard F drift car.

Build thread here:

It was very expensive - I was fortunate to have a lot of NOS parts to hand. It's glorious though, and it does get the ocassional run. The ball diffs are a bit of a problem though, as they seem to always need adjusting / tightening whenever I next go to use it. I wish I'd used standard gear diffs!

The hardest part with any TA03 build these days is the B-parts, either a front or rear gearbox depending on whether you're building an R or an F model. Hard to find!

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Build thread here:

It was very expensive - I was fortunate to have a lot of NOS parts to hand. It's glorious though, and it does get the ocassional run. The ball diffs are a bit of a problem though, as they seem to always need adjusting / tightening whenever I next go to use it. I wish I'd used standard gear diffs!

The hardest part with any TA03 build these days is the B-parts, either a front or rear gearbox depending on whether you're building an R or an F model. Hard to find!

Wow thank you, you're build is awesome.  And I have no interest in building a drift car that doesn't accept a gen3 RX7 in front-engine config!  That's one of my favorite drift cars.  

• Like 1

Took my gulf liveried baja champ and wt01 monster beetle for a run out today. Set up my camera to get some footage as it was the first run for the baja champ after its refurb and modifications and first proper run for my monster beetle fitted with a new 4000kv brushless system. I was excited! :D The excitement soon came too an end when the screw attaching my servo horn to the servo fell out leaving it with no steering. I thought, on to the monster beetle. I got it ready, checked the steering which worked fine, pushed the stick to go forward, annnnd, nothing! :wacko: It didn't go in reverse either. I checked what I thought was everything. It worked fine on a quick run in the garden but this was meant to be the full throttle no holds barred run. So one car that goes forward and backward but won't turn and another that will turn but won't go forward or backward. Brilliant! Disappointed I drove home.

At home I looked at the beetle and then checked the transmitter and there's a toggle switch at the top of the transmitter and it had flicked into the wrong position, doh! I forgot to check that. So two little things cut my run time down to about 4 minutes. At least I got a taste of how it used to be in the 80's. All that preparation for about 4 minutes run time :(:lol:

• Like 2

I finally finished the CRZ body today.  As the first body shell I've done in a couple of decades it was basically just for learning.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist though, so a few mistakes are still a bit annoying.

The paint job has one or two issues.  The body stripe near the front grille had some black paint seep into the masking, and some paint peeled when I pulled off one window mask.  I also backed the stripe with white, but because I didn't do the whole shell, the interior is white at the back but black on the sides.  I didn't remember that would be an issue until I had peeled the masks off.

The decals were a nightmare.  There are too many curves and angles for many of them to fit correctly.  Soapy water helped position them but things like window trims bubble over gaps no matter what and some are just too big even after generous trimming.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the result, and I am now thinking of ideas for the next body.

CRZ%20finished.jpg

Things I have learned that other beginners might find helpful:

1) Spray thin paint coats.

2) No really. Spray thinner paint coats than you think and take your time.

3) Tamiya Polycarbonate Body Cleaner and a cotton bud works great for removing spots of cured PS paint.

4) When peeling window masks run your knife around the edges first, so the paint doesn't lift.

• Like 5

Had a great quite Moments and started the Work...:)

29524579476_525ed47f9d_z.jpg

And there she is Standing proudly and Sexy! ;)

29524575956_9886c80133_z.jpg

28935522083_66de5c2a18_z.jpg

29524583606_aca1d54554_z.jpg

Cheers

• Like 14

I've annoyed a parts supplier into shipping my XV driveshafts & spacers which are MIA, so I can drive the XV again.  It was going to be 'late September' until the other parts came in, delaying the shipping.  Which means whenever the other parts make it!

The XV is my primary car now due to versatile ground clearance.   The rest of my cars are GRP-bottomed and low to the ground.

• Like 1

I spent money on RC cars...

A new Porsche 40th anniversary ( still preorder) and a crashed tamiya on ebay

tamiya.jpg

could be a Manta Ray? with an older futaba ESC.. any chance to understand if she's vintage or re-re?

• Like 2

Spent the afternoon doing the free upgrades to my Maverick Scout. Stripping the diffs for lubrication,and sorting out the steering tomorrow 

• Like 1

My Unimog 3rd channel LED on/off switch stopped working earlier - it turned out to be one of the power wires had broken off the micro-switch. So I had to re-solder it. After that I decided to clean up the front shocks as they appear to have leaked a little - I topped them up with Losi 20wt silicone oil and screwed the caps on a bit tighter.

It took a real bashing today at a 7 year olds birthday party too.

Installed a wicked fast new servo into my TRF-201 racer and updated my build thread on it as well.  Wish me luck in the races tomorrow!  It's the final race in the 5 race summer series.  I'm shooting for the bump from the B-main to the A in 2WD stock buggy sportsman class.  (crosses fingers)

09.09.2016-20.56.png

• Like 3

For the first time ever with a new kit, I started trimming and painting the body of my RM01 before I've put a tool on the chassis build

• Like 4

Painted and decal'd another body :) Today was the Wingers turn :cheer: Yes I still have to rebuild the chassis, I hope to get on to it before some special wheels arrive for it ;)

bcwwb.jpg

bcwwb1.jpg

bcwwb2.jpg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, kirk13 said:

Spent the afternoon doing the free upgrades to my Maverick Scout. Stripping the diffs for lubrication,and sorting out the steering tomorrow 

I love my maverick scout kirk. I did most of the free mods and put them in a build thread. So many things you can do to them for free to further improve them further. They're fantastic straight out of the box I found though. Still one or two things I want to do to mine, one being buying an axial ladder chassis and completing the transformation from crawler to scaler. Think radshape do a ladder chassis for these too.

Here's my little maverick scout mod thread.

1 hour ago, Terz1 said:

I love my maverick scout kirk. I did most of the free mods and put them in a build thread. So many things you can do to them for free to further improve them further. They're fantastic straight out of the box I found though. Still one or two things I want to do to mine, one being buying an axial ladder chassis and completing the transformation from crawler to scaler. Think radshape do a ladder chassis for these too.

Here's my little maverick scout mod thread.

Thanks for the link,but I had it bookmarked already :D

Your thread,and Mr Crispy's have been a big help and inspiration!

I had a look at the Radshape chassis,but I'm kind of in two minds about going fully down the scaler route🤔

• Like 1

:lol: Great you already had it. Yes mr crispy has done a lot to the scout too. Spoke to him a lot when I was doing mine. I have to admit the £80 price tag is stopping me pulling the trigger on the radshape chassis. I think an axial one is actually cheaper. No doubting the quality of axial stuff so it might be the way to go for me.

Good luck with the rest of your mods. :D Love to see some pics of how you get on with it if you have time.

On a cheeky weekend family break at Camber Sands... and what with the sandy beach and the dunes it would've been rude not to take a car or two 😉

My 5 year old son is loving the WT01 based monster truck I built him, he's getting good at controlling it too. 

7F69B553-472F-4AA0-9E74-88AABC5C3918_zps

I even managed to get my wife interested in RC for 2 mins!

F89C16FC-12A5-4C5A-A30F-AA7E74A2B84E_zps

My old TL01B Baja Bug handled it well, it deserves the thorough strip down and cleaning it'll be getting when we're back home. 

DA6395C2-798B-447C-9E2C-09FC1D2F734A_zps

We stayed well away from the sea water so I'm hoping I won't find any rusty bearings... fingers crossed 😬

409E1ED0-3F07-4378-932C-CD759DD90B6D_zps

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ian_Gsi16V said:

Blitzer got a run and took a vid..

And Finished with a crash :lol: Love it ^_^

• Like 1