Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, GooneyBird said:

My end game, just so you know, with this car, is to have a retro '70s/'80s Le Mans-style Group C body on there. Just to annoy all the wedge-shaped Pro10s and 1/12th scale cars. ;)

I like the sound of that a little too much :D But at least you are not going all Group 6 (read: hard plastic as in the '70s) on them for now:

box_58006_01.jpg

(originals are expensive, but re-releases are kicking around online)

By the definition of the 24 Hours of LeMons (and I do mean LeMons), such a setup would be of "palpable effluence." And as a fan, I look forward to seeing what your setup will look like finished ;)

8 minutes ago, Grastens said:

I like the sound of that a little too much :D But at least you are not going all Group 6 (read: hard plastic as in the '70s) on them for now:

box_58006_01.jpg

(originals are expensive, but re-releases are kicking around online)

By the definition of the 24 Hours of LeMons (and I do mean LeMons), such a setup would be of "palpable effluence." And as a fan, I look forward to seeing what your setup will look like finished ;)

Oohhh, a LeMons-themed body shell! Something like a touring car body with a rubber chicken on it or whatever. 

And in terms of "finished setup", well, that's pretty much it, aside from a body shell (currently a horrendously painted hand-me-down...thing). That car consists of nothing more than an F104 rear pod, an F103 front suspension, and some electronics in the middle. No center shock, no roll tubes, nothing. 

the plot thickens :blink: .... the seller of my Active Hobby Lotus has an uncut body... perfect for mold-making :D:D

uncut-a210ss-body-lotus-exige_zpssq5vxgk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GooneyBird said:

Oohhh, a LeMons-themed body shell! Something like a touring car body with a rubber chicken on it or whatever. 

And in terms of "finished setup", well, that's pretty much it, aside from a body shell (currently a horrendously painted hand-me-down...thing). That car consists of nothing more than an F104 rear pod, an F103 front suspension, and some electronics in the middle. No center shock, no roll tubes, nothing. 

Oh yes :D

And having noticed the spartan nature of the car, I do mean the shell ;)

13 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Got some tyres off some Hornet wheels.... this was an effort.

FIMb4oB.jpg

IIRC, if you split the wheels the two halves just fall out of the tyre :)

Bit late now but something to remember when you put it back together :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ian_Gsi16V said:

IIRC, if you split the wheels the two halves just fall out of the tyre :)

Bit late now but something to remember when you put it back together :)

How do you mean split the wheels... the tyre has to stretch over the middle piece, this is the hard bit you are trying to make easier? Getting the front and rear pieces on/off are easy, its that central piece that's the pita.

So putting it back together I still have to stretch the tyre  over the central part.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Avante is back!" - Tamiya America, 2011

And so presently is mine, having been rebuilt over the past few days following a stripping-down of the main chassis and gearboxes and subsequent cleaning. Having finished much of the reassembly already, I started out today with some dried and clean shock absorbers:

20170209_161134.jpg

I was surprised none of the seals were visibly bad, as they all held oil and I was able to build them up - although some needed more tries than others. They are definitely used; notice the chewed-up bottom eyelet on one of the rears and the worn-off anodizing. They are tired, but functional:

20170209_172853.jpg

In the end, everything mostly needed a good cleaning, but I swapped out the SR300 receiver for a SR200WP just in case. The collars on the front dampers also came from a spare parts tree. Wiring was redone, and the cleaned gears received what was left of my scant ceramic grease supplies. How I fed the gearboxes with molybdenum grease before is astounding, as it now runs as smoothly as it has since it first ran, with the gearboxes definitely lower on friction with the thinner ceramic grease:

20170209_184933.jpg

There were fewer new parts than I wanted to put in (I have a cache of metal ball ends, for instance), with new parts being limited to swapped bearings, front and rear differentials (old ones will be rebuilt, most likely), shock collars, and receiver. Even the outdrives are the original pieces. But the whole thing, showing wear yet much fresher than usual, went back together, which is what I am happiest about:

20170209_185942.jpg

The wheels could use a scrub, though...

The resurrection of my Avante and my Photobucket account coincide with each other as Tinypic is inexplicably non-functional now. I am more excited about getting a run in with the RC car than giving the image-hosting site a proper spin, though!

Going through my old build records turned up a short-lived build journal. Within it were my first impressions of this special car when I got to take it on its first run. The memories of a ground-bound spaceship whistling past might be resurrected once I find a place to get it running...

• Like 1

LOTS!!!!!!

Finished my M05 body- for the M05 I want to keep.... still need to paint the wing and mirrors and get the wheels I want.

IMG_1152_zpsoklpo2uw.jpg

Finished Long Haul (well, need someone to make me some tiny decepticon decals and need to hit up the LHS for some black paint to do the grill and exhaust stacks)

IMG_1156_zpspqxvzqst.jpg

Polished this turd....... to get ready to list it on ebay (not really a turd, but the body was pretty jacked up so I made it work by using standard touring car wheels/tires and adding CVA shocks and bearings)

IMG_1150_zps0btgymso.jpg

IMG_1147_zpsjnpiu3it.jpg

And made more impulse buys.......2 cars and a vintage motor- BUT HEAR ME OUT!!!! Theyre too good a deal to pass up all from same seller in japan and he even has thrown in a surprise gift in the package.

and they are.... drum roll please........

Car #99 in pretty dang good condition

skyline_zpsr2dxsqed.jpg

and oddly enough it looks like it's been merged with CAR #100 (see the top force body mount left on the chassis.....)

skyline4_zpsecxzb5ne.jpg

skyline8_zps8kgf2tv0.jpg

Then its Tam 58169 also in pretty good condition with a slew of mods

Mustang_zpsecotgzpy.jpg

Mustang3_zpshdntje8u.jpg

Mustang5_zpscgjovwzf.jpg

Mustang4_zpswch50bw0.jpg

And lastly a nice condition Dynatech 02H motor

Dynatech%2002H_zpsda7ghszl.jpg

Now to start selling stuff on ebay to recoup the funds I spent on this.... (really wasnt much but wasnt planned.....)

• Like 4

Looks like someone will be asking me about any TA series parts I might have still. Randy, what wheels are you after for that PINK MASHER??? I might have a set for you here. nice buys

14 minutes ago, Crash Cramer said:

Looks like someone will be asking me about any TA series parts I might have still. Randy, what wheels are you after for that PINK MASHER??? I might have a set for you here. nice buys

HPI m-series wheels which should by dyeable , or any yellow M series wheels you got :)

YELLOW??? Well, now you got me, I have chrome. HPI series, I had some skinny spoke HPI wheels, but they too were chrome.

1 minute ago, Crash Cramer said:

YELLOW??? Well, now you got me, I have chrome. HPI series, I had some skinny spoke HPI wheels, but they too were chrome.

lol yeah... you didnt strike me as someone who would own yellow wheels...... I was surprised you have nothing on the fighter buggy RX though.... lol Maybe something from a mad bull, rookie rabbit?

3 hours ago, iluvmud said:

Mustang_zpsecotgzpy.jpg

Mustang3_zpshdntje8u.jpg

Mustang5_zpscgjovwzf.jpg

Mustang4_zpswch50bw0.jpg

If you are interested in sell or trade on that TA-02 Mustang, I will be really interested. Great example!

ernieks

Poll:  If you had one how often would you update it ?

Could I have more choice than "several times a day", pls?

I set aside some RC time today. Set an achievable goal of my WW2 wheel conversion and adding some of the blong from my recent Banzai lucky bag purchase.

Before...

IMG_0132_zpsqyjcz15a.jpg~original

After...

IMG_0136_zpsi8u9tudg.jpg~original

You can't see the front upper links or motor guard in this pick and it is a poor angle for a decent view of the new nudge bars! The skid plate/nudge bars are a bit wonky as the plastic they attach to have had a fair few impacts (me and the previous owner!)

The upper links took a while to set up - at the suggested length, there was an awful lot of camber! 

Unfortunately, electrical gremlins meant no running. I need to re-release the instructions for my Tx - when I find them!

15 hours ago, iluvmud said:

Finished Long Haul (well, need someone to make me some tiny decepticon decals and need to hit up the LHS for some black paint to do the grill and exhaust stacks)

IMG_1156_zpspqxvzqst.jpg

I used these Decepticon stickers on my short course truck for racing, never had them come off. http://www.ebay.com/itm/G1-Decepticon-Symbol-Insignia-Logo-Sticker-Decal-Sheet/112199166882

Today I messed around with adding LEDs to my Lunchbox as headlights. I didn't realize that the receivers channel 3 doesn't do the switching on its own so I gutted an old steering servo and used the controller inside it to manage the on/off voltage for the lights. A little silicone to hold the LEDs in the buckets and we're off.

Now for the taillights, which will be interesting since the Lb shell has stickers for the taillights rather than any kind of real lens...

16 hours ago, ernieks said:

If you are interested in sell or trade on that TA-02 Mustang, I will be really interested. Great example!

ernieks

Pm me what you got to trade, I might bite!

Had some good weather today so I took the opportunity to paint a CRX shell and glued some wheels between coats.  I agonized over what colour combination to paint the shell.  I was set on metallic red on top with silver below but at the last second went white over gun metal.  If I can get the decals on without making a mess of it I have some wheels in mind and a cockpit set to complete the look.

JRT4t1b.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blista said:

Had some good weather today so I took the opportunity to paint a CRX shell and glued some wheels between coats.  I agonized over what colour combination to paint the shell.  I was set on metallic red on top with silver below but at the last second went white over gun metal.  If I can get the decals on without making a mess of it I have some wheels in mind and a cockpit set to complete the look.

JRT4t1b.jpg

Looking great, you ought to do the red one for the Japanese version of The Italian Job with your other two. Good to see another one or two and good luck with those blasted decals, I still remember doing mine. Sure wish I had known then that if you go by decal number in sequence from smallest number to larger number when wrapping windows and the like, it is going to go much smoothly rather than guess which ones layer over the other, a minor detail I don't recall the instructions pointed out, TamiyaManDan told me about that from a book he read that the decals are intended to be put on by sequence starting at #1 through to the last decal. I NEVER knew that, 30 plus years now!!!