Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fitted shiny new GPM Dampers.... However, must say I am a lil disappointed they didn't click straight onto the ball connectors like the originals... 😑

IMG_20170523_194749540.jpg

• Like 1

The M03 race car is 99% finished, just need to glue the tyres and drive the thing.

18685601_10154694680441158_597477965_n.j

I tried to hide as much wiring as I could too

18685437_10154694680291158_1092010708_n.

18741636_10154694680396158_26394153_n.jp

It's not massively obvious unless it's in direct light but the chassis has a nice little flip paint effect like the shell I'll be running on it

18718412_10154694680296158_1010085445_n.

• Like 5

Had a little blast with my Radio Shack "Extreme Machine" which is a rebranded Nikko Hawg/Thor type truck. It's essentially a monster truck version of the dictator chassis with dual motors and gearboxes on each end. Double wishbone up front and solid axle at the back. This particular model comes with 2 Mabuchi 540 motors so it was a bit of a beast in it's day. The stock circuitry varies wildly in Nikko made stuff, some are powerful and can handle upgraded motors, some are somewhat weak. This thing was like a new truck when I put a hobby grade ESC in it, turned into a real wheelie machine, in both directions! This truck is very much a work in progress but it has a lot of potential, it's one of those chassis Nikko used to make that was essentially on par with hobby grade stuff and just happened to be mass assembled on a production line. In fact, the manual as a fold out exploded diagram of all the parts which were all available to order from Radio Shack once upon a time. 

It goes pretty well considering it's just running two 27T silver cans, the pinions are only 8t (!!) but the wheels are huge so the top speed isn't too bad. I did consider faster motors or even brushless but to be honest, the top speed is already enough and it doesn't lack torque so I don't think much would be gained from it. Maybe when I fit oil dampers and modify the suspension I'll give it a go but for now it's just a good fun bouncy monster truck!

I didn't get a video today but here's one I made when I first tried it after converting the electronics to hobby grade:

• Like 1

I've got my Boomerang to rolling chassis stage

Need to add the ESC and receiver (want to borrow the receiver to try my Wild Dagger first). Also need to trim and fit the chassis cover and trim and paint the body.

I've fitted a set of ball races. Metal shielded inside the gearboxes and rubber shielded in the hubs.

It's also got re-release Hotshot prop shaft and prop shaft joints.

nRpVBiZCsSUoWoldRhhPcdZH458Jf3mhMBE2OhSi

• Like 4

5 hr hair service < hairdresser me > while laying coats of paint on mitsubishi pajero pick up. I plan to fit on the lunchbox chassis as too too short for orv :(

Since finishing on the Boomerang for the night, I've had the Wild Dagger on the table for a bit of a fettle.

I attached my Core RC receiver in place of the Acoms one that is in the car. First issue on powering up was that the servos weren't neutral. Popped the servo horns off, powered up to get them in their neutral positions and then reattached the servo horns.

The steering servo wasn't as easy as that sounds. It was a pig to remove for access to the servo horns. On the plus side, I found why the servo was so sloppy - the mounts were loose! Tightened those up, refitted and it seems much better.

Next issue was the manual speed controller. Load of rubbish - I either had full beans or nothing. Not too bothered as I'll fit an ESC anyway. For today I just wanted to see it move.

Last thing I found was one of the wheels turning freely in the tyre. When I bought it the guy included a spare new tyre. For some reason he'd fitted 3 new ones but not the 4th. It was that old tyre that was slipping so I swapped it with the spare.

It's back in the box now until I get chance to order the ESC, another receiver and a few other bits.

I like it though :D

IMG_20170524_231407.jpg

• Like 3

Decided to smash out the XV01 build tonight.  Everything went together quite smoothly.  Being similar in several ways to my FF03 helped.

Diffs seem a little bit leaky.  After reading some info about them they'll be getting redone at some point.

The only real problem is the compartment for the receiver and ESC being annoyingly placed and sized (which I think anyone who has ever written about the XV01 has already mentioned).  I had to switch the ESC (Quicrun 1060) closer to reach the wires for the motor, and even then it only just reaches.  So with the receiver at the far end there's not much aerial sticking up.  Time to learn how to solder, or, just buy a brushless setup that reaches.

After bench testing I am surprised how quiet it sounds compared to my MF01X Jimny.

BbM9bsP.jpg

nOlzy6Q.jpg

The Subaru XV shell is a tight fit around the rally block tyres so some trimming might be in order.  A proper rally car body will eventually find it's way on there but I'm not painting anything else with the cold weather kicking in.

• Like 5

Attached the body to the chassis on my Scania R620.

Still need to work out where to position the MFU and Rx

and sort out the mile of wire and connectors.

• Like 1

Seeing the site will only let me upload pics of 64meg I can't post anymore pics of the truck build.

So while waiting for a new screw to turn up from the hobby company (5weeks) I got the rear diffs built and the gearbox built plus motor installed and then stripped the pinion gear so need anew one of them know also

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Since finishing on the Boomerang for the night, I've had the Wild Dagger on the table for a bit of a fettle.

I attached my Core RC receiver in place of the Acoms one that is in the car. First issue on powering up was that the servos weren't neutral. Popped the servo horns off, powered up to get them in their neutral positions and then reattached the servo horns.

The steering servo wasn't as easy as that sounds. It was a pig to remove for access to the servo horns. On the plus side, I found why the servo was so sloppy - the mounts were loose! Tightened those up, refitted and it seems much better.

Next issue was the manual speed controller. Load of rubbish - I either had full beans or nothing. Not too bothered as I'll fit an ESC anyway. For today I just wanted to see it move.

Last thing I found was one of the wheels turning freely in the tyre. When I bought it the guy included a spare new tyre. For some reason he'd fitted 3 new ones but not the 4th. It was that old tyre that was slipping so I swapped it with the spare.

It's back in the box now until I get chance to order the ESC, another receiver and a few other bits.

I like it though :D

I just got hold of a Twin Detonator for really cheap, I'm waiting for it to be delivered but it seems in pretty good nick, I will also be losing the MSC. I've wanted one of these trucks for a while now. I have an HBX Bonzer (TL01B clone) which has some fundamental similarities and I find it to be a pretty underrated chassis, some people look down on it because the chassis is descended from an on-road one but I find that actually gives it an advantage over certain terrains, on the right kind of ground it seems to stick to the terrain amazingly well even at quite high speeds rather than bouncing around like a more traditional monster chassis. I also have a few "Hobby Engine" monster trucks that seem to be heavily inspired by the WT-01 with twin motors and some other similarities, between the Bonzer and the Hobby engine trucks I have been really hankering after a WT-01 so I finally pulled the trigger.

Fitted the receiver and ESC into my Boomerang tonight.

Put a battery in and had a little drive round the room. All seems to work ok.

One slight issue is that my NiMH batteries seem to be a touch too long and put a bit of pressure on the battery stays.

Also cut out the rear wing, and reminded myself that I hate cutting lexan!

• Like 1

I splashed out and bought a dslr camera last weekend after a lifetime of point and shoots. I mainly bought it to take pics of my kids so I could chuck them on the wall (the pics, not the kids...) but got home from work before dark last night and ventured outside to take some pics. In doing so I grabbed my MAN truck and drove it for a bit and decided to take some pics as Mrs Berman wasnt home with the kids.

I would love to show you all a pic but will have to wait as my computer isn't assembled since we moved house, so I can't get them off the camera 😕

• Like 4

Installed a Modified RC 5B quick release roll cage on the Rovan Buggy.

I also installed a Voltage Watch on it to monitor the battery!

dEOsXGr.jpg

seiCa6o.jpg

F6iT7OP.jpg

bMD1wjS.jpg

mdwevO8.jpg

BfZxJ1A.jpg

vPWDWi0.jpg

YgWcdCL.jpg

Remote kill switch was my first purchase (before I bought my 5b actually).

A 14kg/30lb solid runaway at 75kph/40+ mph = possible jail time if it hits someone.

Fitted and setup a HK X-Car 120Amp speedo in my boys Hyper MiniST to replace the blown cheapo Chinese blue one from eBay. Seems to be OK on the bench, just need to check it's setup in software too.

Receiver the long awaited 10.5T Sensored Trackstar motor for the Neo-Scorcher. This turned up with some sticky glue like substance on the underside of the motor next to an endbell hole and vent hole. Wired it up and it stuttered a low speed and went slowly at full throttle, also got hot real quick (like after 10 seconds of running), DOA after a 10 day wait. Only the second DOA from hobbyking in lots of items ordered from them. Hopefully their warranty return process is as smooth as last time.

Carl.

Found the only place on the net that has 10 teeth pinion gear for the truck build and it just happened to be Tony's tamiya parts so orderd it today 

7 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

Just pulled the trigger on a grasshopper 2, I think Mrs SCN might kill me. It's been good knowing you all. 

You might kick me into life to start my GH2 build if you build thread it... or atleast finalise it here once built ;)

Today - glad I didn't bring an RC with me on my family holiday break with wifey and 14 month old daughter,  as this holiday camp on the South Coast is jam packed for the bank holiday and there is no where to safely run an RC, and getting sunburnt on first day is not cool... tomorrow it's the splash park, oh boy!

17 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

You might kick me into life to start my GH2 build if you build thread it... or atleast finalise it here once built 

I've got a couple of ideas floating around in my head for it, I can either go box art with correct sponsor repro decals (a little dull but reasonably simple) or camouflaged Mad Max style buggy with armour and extra fuel cells/stowage (this is my current favourite idea). I'm most likely going to be running it in the garden so I'm not going to go too mad with the power and I'll limit mods to the essentials like bearings and suspension although I have seen a couple of pics of one with subaru brat wheels and tyres fitted which is an option for tarmac running. 

After struggling, last night, to cut out my Boomerang wing using lexan scissors, I had a go at cutting the body with the score and snap method.

Worked like a champ! Wish I'd tried that years ago.

I even managed to mask the windows and trim with the knife. Didn't get around to painting though.

9 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

Just pulled the trigger on a grasshopper 2, I think Mrs SCN might kill me. It's been good knowing you all. 

We should go halvers on a P.O. box! 😆

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

I had a go at cutting the body with the score and snap method.

Worked like a champ! Wish I'd tried that years ago.

I read this after just buying lexan curved and straight scissors...

1 minute ago, Wooders28 said:

We should go halvers on a P.O. box! 😆

Normally I just get stuff delivered to my work but it's going to arrive on Tuesday and I'm off then and don't really want to schlep in to pick it up. I've been dropping subtle hints about how all my other cars are too hardcore for backyard bashing and something slower might be a bit of a better idea. So fingers crossed that'll do the trick. 

11 minutes ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I've been dropping subtle hints about how all my other cars are too hardcore for backyard bashing and something slower might be a bit of a better idea. So fingers crossed that'll do the trick. 

Good luck with that! 

To the wife, an rc car is an rc car the same as a pair of high heeled shoes is a pair of high heeled shoes to me..

To hard-core for backyard bashing?

Had the K1 out yesterday 

• Like 4

I had another blast with my Hobby converted Radio Shack Extreme Machine. So much fun! It sort of handles fairly well in some ways thanks to the front double wishbones but then the solid axle at the back keeps you on your feet! I can't wait to get some cheap oil shocks installed. I tried to get some video but it was so sunny I couldn't see my phone screen at all so I gave up and just got on with bashing after a while. Here's some rubbish video though:

• Like 1

Tonight I wad presented a bottle of glycerine by the wife.... i ask whats that for she said to work on you willy. And so I did 20170527_020856.thumb.jpg.51511e246f7b9b08dea862ee2242ba81.jpg

Tires look excellent 

• Like 5