Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And my own little RC job for the day... some LED’s for my M03 Suzuki Swift

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Haha awesome job on extending the height, does it wobble much?

Chrck out the pain I went through trying to mount a similar van style body on my WT01

the wobble is MOSTLY removed by  using the gorilla glue in the joints along with the almost rigid plastic spacers. I have used these or similar from back in the day under and over my shells mounting points to reduce stress on the lexen. It also helps reduce the wobble in any post by fixing it to its mate. I could also add more in X form with a few screws to the back ones which would really help. Front as they are so short are defo better.

I just wanted to get it done so the good lady can see it when she gets back from St John night as its her ambulance idea I am trying to realise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baddon said:

mmmmmm. went to extend the body mounts on my WT-01 to find the post extenders are for a larger diameter post........

So bracing required, some Gorilla Glue and some more bracing. Cut some bracing from a celebrations plastic tin. added the gorilla glue and this is what I ended up with after posts trimmed to height I need them for wheels to clear the body.....just.

extended posts.jpeg

extended posts1.jpeg

extended posts2.jpeg

My apologies for suggesting the body post extenders. I thought they were universal.

My bigwig was delivered this morning and I wasn't going to touch it until this weekend but as I looked through the build manual the next thing I knew I was building it! And after my Schumacher cat xls and associated RC10 re-re builds at the end of the summer last year this was an absolute dream to build :)! (The cat would test the patient's of a saint and the angels who were with him!) You can't beat a tamiya for an almost guaranteed enjoyable build:wub:!. 

20180124_002230.jpg

• Like 2

Well..... the big purge is starting.

If you guys remember I was laid off last year and while it was fun not having to work every day I'm starting to list some cars off on ebay. Also, since my wife has taken a job too my mother has decided to move in and "help"...... so that means no more office/man cave. Ive spent the last two days figuring out what I'm really ok with selling and started taking pics all while moving things out of my office and into other parts of the house. Here's an example.

Before

25991549228_ebc30b7dcf_b.jpg

After

28085505849_ebac659563_b.jpg

The Wild WIlly body is my original from my SWB which is next in queue to be worked on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, moffman said:

My bigwig was delivered this morning and I wasn't going to touch it until this weekend but as I looked through the build manual the next thing I knew I was building it! And after my Schumacher cat xls and associated RC10 re-re builds at the end of the summer last year this was an absolute dream to build :)! (The cat would test the patient's of a saint and the angels who were with him!) You can't beat a tamiya for an almost guaranteed enjoyable build:wub:!. 

20180124_002230.jpg

I have gone the opposite way, started with the Cat and will then look at the BigWig and Egress, the Cat is slowly killing my desire for all things RC, then I have to make the big decision if I am going to build this or leave it new in the box

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

21 minutes ago, OOZZEE said:

I have gone the opposite way, started with the Cat and will then look at the BigWig and Egress, the Cat is slowly killing my desire for all things RC, then I have to make the big decision if I am going to build this or leave it new in the box

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

I always stopped and stared at the Yokomo ad for that car in RC Car Action.  What a beautiful car!  Not sure I could build it either.

Edited by tamiya3speed

Today I realized that I shouldn't have built a DT-03T differential using Tamiya Differential Putty.  :o  I feel like a moron.  SMH!  Live and learn.

01.23.2018-20.52.png

Any suggestions on how to clean up the plastic diff housing and the metal bevel gears?

6 minutes ago, Effigy3 said:

Today I realized that I shouldn't have built a DT-03T differential using Tamiya Differential Putty.  :o  I feel like a moron.  SMH!  Live and learn.

01.23.2018-20.52.png

Any suggestions on how to clean up the plastic diff housing and the metal bevel gears?

Well at least you have kept me from making the same mistake, been wondering what might happen if I used that stuff. I would try an ultrasonic cleaner, so a trip to Harbor Freight is in your future. Lol, you are welcome.

21 minutes ago, Effigy3 said:

01.23.2018-20.52.png

That looks way too stiff for Aqroshot.  I'm hoping that Tamiya putty would be stiff enough for 11-pound Juggernaut.  What do you think?  

would break and clutch cleaner (cleans most anything) do any damage to the plastic?

On 22/01/2018 at 7:50 PM, mman2005 said:

Hey Wooders. Where did you find the CR598 rx please? 

Some more listed on eBay. 

Same seller,

Ebay # 263456129585

• Thanks 1

Chucked in a bid on a Speed Passion Reventon Pro ESC with a couple of minutes to go.

Didn't expect it to be highest bid, then when it was I expected to be outbid.

Ended up winning!

So now I'll have an ESC for a race car, also a Speed Passion 6.5T motor I won the other day, but no car to put them in yet.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Some more listed on eBay. 

Same seller,

Ebay # 263456129585

Now that I've got my Futaba radio, and a few receivers for it, I'll have a few CR598 spare in the coming days.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Juggular said:

That looks way too stiff for Aqroshot.  I'm hoping that Tamiya putty would be stiff enough for 11-pound Juggernaut.  What do you think? 

Oh yeah.  It is.  I'm going to redo the diff with AW grease but I need to figure out how to get the putty off!

10 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Well at least you have kept me from making the same mistake, been wondering what might happen if I used that stuff. I would try an ultrasonic cleaner, so a trip to Harbor Freight is in your future. Lol, you are welcome.

It's awesome in the front diff of my CC-01 but not so much for the DT-03T.  I woke up this morning and had an epiphany.  What if I soak the bevel gears in acetone and used acetone and a toothbrush on the diff housing?  Would that damage anything?

1 hour ago, Effigy3 said:

It's awesome in the front diff of my CC-01 but not so much for the DT-03T.  I woke up this morning and had an epiphany.  What if I soak the bevel gears in acetone and used acetone and a toothbrush on the diff housing?  Would that damage anything?

what about good old wd-40 or nitro blast/cleaner

Got a bit closer to finishing my Holiday buggy. Just need to do the interior/driver and a few little bits..

iNSHwPq.jpg?1

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Chucked in a bid on a Speed Passion Reventon Pro ESC with a couple of minutes to go.

Didn't expect it to be highest bid, then when it was I expected to be outbid.

Ended up winning!

So now I'll have an ESC for a race car, also a Speed Passion 6.5T motor I won the other day, but no car to put them in yet.

So your re-entry to racing is with a 6.5T motor?  What class is that?

7 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

So your re-entry to racing is with a 6.5T motor?  What class is that?

My local club doesn't have classes other than 2wd, 4wd and trucks. I guess it might be classed as modified in other places.

Anyway, I didn't say I was returning to racing with a 6.5T motor, I just said I had a 6.5T motor :P

I'd probably start with a 13.5T or maybe 10.5T. But apparently most at the club run 10.5T down to 5.5T.

The 6.5T motor I have (well it's on the way) is a Speed Passion that was badly listed - was listed as a Spektrum 6.5T motor. I chucked in the opening bid and nobody bud against me. So I got it for £13. At that price it's handy to have on hand in case I feel the need for speed :)

3 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

My local club doesn't have classes other than 2wd, 4wd and trucks. I guess it might be classed as modified in other places.

Anyway, I didn't say I was returning to racing with a 6.5T motor, I just said I had a 6.5T motor :P

I'd probably start with a 13.5T or maybe 10.5T. But apparently most at the club run 10.5T down to 5.5T.

The 6.5T motor I have (well it's on the way) is a Speed Passion that was badly listed - was listed as a Spektrum 6.5T motor. I chucked in the opening bid and nobody bud against me. So I got it for £13. At that price it's handy to have on hand in case I feel the need for speed :)

Ahh that makes sense, I thought you were brave diving straight into mod class!  Is that because the clubs are smaller but there are more of them or something?  Over here it seems that each city/town has a club, so Auckland has 1.5m people and has 1 indoor club which does both on and off road 10th scale, 1 8th scale outdoor offroad club and then another club which doesn't have race days, just has the track available.  My outdoor offroad cub is actually another town, I think, about 50mins drive away.  Anyway, with so few clubs here it means that they run about 6 - 10 classes each race meet, allowing noobs like me to run in the slower blinky stock classes.

I guess it also means that the track layout will change each time and the motor choice may change with it, depending on how fast you need to go.

The other thing is, lap times don't actually change that much between stock and mod anyway, you could probably run 21.5T and with the right gearing and not be last.  I swear my Boomerang on a torque tuned was quicker one day than my race cars because it didn't land on its roof once.

4 hours ago, topforcein said:

what about good old wd-40 or nitro blast/cleaner

I don't have access to nitro cleaner but I can get a can of WD-40.  I didn't know that could be used as a parts cleaner.  Will it harm the plastic of the diff case?  I think the metal bevel gears will withstand just about anything I use.  I've considered gasoline or kerosine for them as well.

39 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The other thing is, lap times don't actually change that much between stock and mod anyway, you could probably run 21.5T and with the right gearing and not be last.  I swear my Boomerang on a torque tuned was quicker one day than my race cars because it didn't land on its roof once.

Sometimes slow and steady really does win the race!

47 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

I'd probably start with a 13.5T or maybe 10.5T.

If it were me, I'd get a DB-01RRR.  Put that SpeedPassion ESC you won and mate it to a 13.5T motor. 

ai18797594-210-thumb-tamiya-DB01RRR.jpg

I'm partial to the SpeedPassion v3.0 MMM series.  My track is pretty strict on configurations though.  4WD buggy Super Stock requires 13.5T motors.  That class has pretty much decimated the 4WD buggy mod class.  Most of the racers found 13.5T was pretty much perfect.  The mod motors were far too quick for the track.  As Jon Gil said, the lap times between the two were pretty much the same but the 13.5T cars spent more time on their wheels and experienced far fewer breakages thanks to slower speed crashes.

• Like 1

Sometimes slow and steady really does win the race!

If it were me, I'd get a DB-01RRR.  Put that SpeedPassion ESC you won and mate it to a 13.5T motor. 

ai18797594-210-thumb-tamiya-DB01RRR.jpg

I'm partial to the SpeedPassion v3.0 MMM series.  My track is pretty strict on configurations though.  4WD buggy Super Stock requires 13.5T motors.  That class has pretty much decimated the 4WD buggy mod class.  Most of the racers found 13.5T was pretty much perfect.  The mod motors were far too quick for the track.  As Jon Gil said, the lap times between the two were pretty much the same but the 13.5T cars spent more time on their wheels and experienced far fewer breakages thanks to slower speed crashes.

I have a 10.5 in my Daughters ( read as Mine 👍🏽) DB-01 RRR and it is an awesome buggy, much preferred it over the B44 series cars that I have, starting to show its age against the Associated B64 and can be a pain to work on, but it is a strong and reliable car for the average racer + its a Tamiya 

• Like 1

I don't have access to nitro cleaner but I can get a can of WD-40.  I didn't know that could be used as a parts cleaner.  Will it harm the plastic of the diff case?  I think the metal bevel gears will withstand just about anything I use.  I've considered gasoline or kerosine for them as well.

yeah it can.. you will be surprised on what that can be used for tbh .

the nitro cleaner is available in the usa click the link

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamite-Nitro-Force-Car-Cleaner/dp/B0006O51AO