Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 hours ago, novicelad said:

Made this video

Awesome, 'Lad  ;)

7 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Backing your first color with silver makes the paint look more vibrant. If I were to back the first color with black, it would have a darker look to it. The silver brings the color out more. The only reason why I used two different silvers is because that's what I had on hand. I prefer to use Bright Silver as I feel that it brings the color out that much more than regular Silver, but I ran out. I back the silver with black to keep light reflecting through the body. It also makes the car look more realistic when looking through the windows. For an example, see the last pic of my post with the Celica. The inside is black, and you cannot see the body color or silver through the windows. 

When I sprayed just the translucent red on the TransAm, the body looked reddish pink and very see-through. If I would have backed that with black, the red would have been very dark, but putting the bright silver before the black allowed the metal flake of the silver to really change the paint and make it look the way it does in the photos. 

As for technique, I aim for 3 even light coats on the first color, achieving full coverage by the 3rd coat. The first coat should look very light and see through. The second coat will fill the color in a little more, and the 3rd coat should give an even color across the whole body. When I spray the first coat, I wait for the paint to flash off before applying the next. You can tell when it's ready for the next coat because it will not look like glossy wet paint. It'll have a matte dull look to the paint. That's when I apply the next coat.

When I move onto silver, I go for 2 coats. It doesn't take much to fill the car in with silver. I also let the paint flash before adding another coat.

When I get to black, I try to spray evenly until everything is black. At this point, you just want full coverage without runs. 

Amazing info mate, thank you so much, very informative.

• Like 1

I charged a battery and actually ran my Top Force properly :)

After building it last month the weather has been so shocking that it's only had a quick blast up the road until today, when I took it out and have given it a proper shake down run. It goes pretty well.

• Like 4

Ive said i wont buy anymore cars this year, and try not to spend any 'family' cash on them either, but last night (so not what i did today...) i sold my winter set of alloys for a car a sold in November, and had rc parts ordered before the guy had loaded them in his car! 😂

Should be able to make headway with the DT03, fast & furious 7, dodge charger,beach runner kind of thing!! 👍 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Deceided and to swop the frp parts on my original Top-force. I found the storage box it is in.  Then I noticed a few of the other bits in need of replacing.... Both front hubs and the rear gearbox plus I want to change the arms also. So on the shop again. Also found my original manta-ray also. noticed that the front re-re shock tower is bigger than the original it as a extra stock hole/mount.

IMG_20180221_141842.jpg

IMG_20180221_141904.jpg

IMG_20180221_162225.jpg

IMG_20180221_162321.jpg

IMG_20180221_162306.jpg

IMG_20180221_162208.jpg

IMG_20180221_163542.jpg

IMG_20180221_163635.jpg

• Like 3

Got the Top Force down off the top of the wardrobe to make a start. 

Sorted the bits out. Phone rang. Youngest sick at school. Put bits away. 

I’ll start it eventually 😁

When I do, would people be interested in a build of this one? I know there’s still plenty of builds messed up by photobuckets silliness but is there any interest in something like this that’s not still readily (relatively) available?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

When I do, would people be interested in a build of this one? I know there’s still plenty of builds messed up by photobuckets silliness but is there any interest in something like this that’s not still readily (relatively) available?

Yup love a build thread!😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

+1 for a build thread here too. I think they are worthwhile even if there are already loads for that model as everyone has a different take. I wish I had done one for my TA07 even though Effigy did a great one that provides an awesome reference for the model, but I enjoyed doing the TRF102 build thread so much. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

+1 for a build thread here too. I think they are worthwhile even if there are already loads for that model as everyone has a different take. I wish I had done one for my TA07 even though Effigy did a great one that provides an awesome reference for the model, but I enjoyed doing the TRF102 build thread so much. 

Yep everyone should do a build thread for every build is what I say... knowledge is power and all that! I would love to see some build threads on all my cars as I’d like to see any tips and pitfalls to look out for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, novicelad said:

Yup love a build thread!😁

25 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

15 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Yep everyone should do a build thread for every build is what I say... knowledge is power and all that! I would love to see some build threads on all my cars as I’d like to see any tips and pitfalls to look out for.

Well I’ll be photo’ing it anyway for myself so I’ll sort a build out too I guess. Probably be much slower than the DT03 ended up being mind but this is my little side project with the DT the main car for now that the kids bash. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

Not Tamiya but finished off building this today

HtMrs8BU2HIBSuaTW7ZukSo7n8J56oKpKDAAFFs4

That looks great.  What colour is it, I might have to "borrow" that one...

Did that wing come pre-cut or is your superpower cutting out fiddly things perfectly?  If it is then it would be worth shipping mine over!

6 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

That looks great.  What colour is it, I might have to "borrow" that one...

Did that wing come pre-cut or is your superpower cutting out fiddly things perfectly?  If it is then it would be worth shipping mine over!

Wing came pre-cut - thankfully :)

The colour is PS-39 (I think. It's Translucent Light Blue anyway) backed with PS-12 Silver.

I really like the colour, but this paint job isn't perfect, there are a couple of places where I was a bit heavy handed with the blue, but it will do for a starter racing shell.

• Like 1

We went and bashed this on the beach. First decent run since going brushless and the new shell.

It was a good laugh :D

Ended with a snapped driveshaft though :( New ones ordered without the plastic ends.

IMG_20180221_163435889.jpg

IMG_20180221_163411370.jpg

IMG_20180221_161128676_BURST000_COVER.jp

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

So close!

I'd be interested to see you build it up with all the bling bits :)

• Like 1

Just finished painting my 1/8 Kyosho Inferno GT2 body 

D94A7235-550F-4247-8B54-CAF2F247E3E5.jpeg

• Like 1

Continued with my TA02 Calsonic Skyline rebuild...

TA02 gearbox rebuild

TA02 rebuild

I installed a fresh set of gears in both ends and rebuilt the shocks - properly this time! I hadn't touched them since the original build back in 1993. I must have been tired or in a hurry to drive it as three of them were missing the internal spacers!

I was't sure what shock oil to use - I went with the thickest I have - 40wt Team Associated. The springs are stock but still have fluro orange paint on them from back in the day.

The wheels have been borrowed off a Subaru WRX TL01 kit a mate gave me. I plan to get some white TE37 wheels to go with the Calsonic body later on.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Phil5556 said:

So close!

I'd be interested to see you build it up with all the bling bits :)

‘All the bling bits’

Not so sure about that 😂 

Replaced the threaded rear axel on my TNX then thought I would give it a run on fully charged batteries and its insane, too fast for the little road outside my house. Wish I was filming I crashed it into my bins knocked them all flying :D

• Haha 4

Started testing this little lot. Quite surprised how many small differences there are between apparently identical versions of servos & packaging etc...

40425181551_9d6e223623_b.jpg40425181401_6dcf0b0374_b.jpg26554141668_775fa84c06_b.jpg

• Like 3

Finally got all the bits to build up my TB Evolution.

Do I do build thread or has there been one done already?.

Sven

IMG_20180222_220007.jpg

IMG_20180222_215928.jpg

• Like 7

Awesome looking car  @Peter_B, really crisp and tidy, nice work. :)

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:57 PM, Peter_B said:

The colour is PS-39 (I think. It's Translucent Light Blue anyway) backed with PS-12 Silver.

Seeing this comment about the translucent, and seeing @Kingfisher comments and awesome shells, I presume the point of the translucent is to deliberately mix / match with a backing colour like a silver or a gold? Is this better than, or different to, a metallic paint, such as a PS-16 Metallic Blue?