Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 3/6/2018 at 4:50 PM, novicelad said:

Spent a bit of time in the garage as my wife was doing her crafty soft toy making. I fixed my sons mad bull by re soldering on a motor wire, then turned my attention to my TNX wanted to make a wheelie bar thing. The old bumper was broken and looked ideal this is what I came up with its a prototype if it works will secure it better, but it seemed perfect! When I test it it will probably just snap off but will see

QEKFXmu.jpg

OT9fFCF.jpg

kARGIr4.jpg

I wonder if little wheels on the bar might prevent the bar from snapping. Even some tubing. To prevent the wheelie bar from grabbing the ground surface... The old bumper doesn't look out of place, by the way.  

21 minutes ago, Juggular said:

I wonder if little wheels on the bar might prevent the bar from snapping. Even some tubing. To prevent the wheelie bar from grabbing the ground surface... The old bumper doesn't look out of place, by the way.  

I was thinking some titanium bolts for special effects 😁

• Haha 1

2018-03-08_07-37-13

Actually ran my rc car instead of tinkering with it or talking on the internet about it 😉

First time in months on buggy wheels. Popped the street tyres on for a blast in the road outside the house. Was fun. Looks weird with buggy wheels now i am used to the Blitzer wheels!

• Like 2

Today I finally repainted Desmond (and included a brief rusting/weathering how-to) here:

i-nfDPkLw-XL.jpg

Jx

• Like 2

Well my wife was out and I've had a couple of beers (its Friday, beers start at 4 on Fridays) so I ordered 42281 and 53827 from rcjaz for my TA07.  It should have been included in the original order when I bought the cars but I did a rubbish job and didn't order anything like what I needed.  Had to add an order for diff oils and pulley and then still forgot to add the swaybars.

Now I need to not have anymore beers since I've said I'll run the Auckland marathon in October and am starting from a VERY low base, and supposed to be running 12km tomorrow.

I bet I have at least 1 if not 2 more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Today I have mostly screwed up the body for my Top Force by trying to paint when it is too cold.

Deceived by a bit of sunshine!

• Sad 4

16 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

Today I have mostly screwed up the body for my Top Force by trying to paint when it is too cold.

Deceived by a bit of sunshine!

Oh no! So frustrating after all the prep.

I’ve been gearing up to paint a shell next Friday, hoping it will be warm enough in the garage...

Just now, Badcrumble said:

Oh no! So frustrating after all the prep.

I’ve been gearing up to paint a shell next Friday, hoping it will be warm enough in the garage...

Yep. I'd been hoping to get the body, wing and undertray done today, as well as an undertray for my RC10.

Fortunately I only have space to paint one thing at a time so I didn't ruin more than the Top Force shell.

8 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Well my wife was out and I've had a couple of beers (its Friday, beers start at 4 on Fridays) so I ordered 42281 and 53827 from rcjaz for my TA07.  It should have been included in the original order when I bought the cars but I did a rubbish job and didn't order anything like what I needed.  Had to add an order for diff oils and pulley and then still forgot to add the swaybars.

Now I need to not have anymore beers since I've said I'll run the Auckland marathon in October and am starting from a VERY low base, and supposed to be running 12km tomorrow.

I bet I have at least 1 if not 2 more.

We all hate that part when we realise we forgot to add stuff to an overseas order!

As for the Msrathon good job, even the 12km Run would almost break me. 

Do you time yourself on these runs? I recently made a PB for my 5km at 24min 42 secs, a whole 10 seconds faster than my last years PB ( pathetic I know!)

I think my best for 10km was 54 minutes something but I’ve stopped those now and just do 5km twice a week ( oh, on a treadmill so that’s harder!)

5 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

We all hate that part when we realise we forgot to add stuff to an overseas order!

As for the Msrathon good job, even the 12km Run would almost break me. 

Do you time yourself on these runs? I recently made a PB for my 5km at 24min 42 secs, a whole 10 seconds faster than my last years PB ( pathetic I know!)

I think my best for 10km was 54 minutes something but I’ve stopped those now and just do 5km twice a week ( oh, on a treadmill so that’s harder!)

Haha it will break me! Did a very hilly 10 last week and it was rough.

Yep I have an old Garmin watch, a forerunner305. It works well but is on its way out so a new one is on the horizon.

All my pb's are from a few years ago. I used to do a 5km series (a pub ran it, $7 entry then you got a pint at the end!) so raced that distance a lot, best was 18:49 and i was still 5min off the front runners! Then didnt 'race' distances in the middle, but best 16km was 1:07 (fun last run on the taper before a marathon so super fit and also rested). My half marathon times are slow, used them as training runs or trying to help a mate break 2 hours. And my marathon times are slow as they are really hard, 3;59 is the best(the goal for that one was sub 4hrs, my son was 11months old at the time)

My last 2 eventa were the local 5km fun run i rqn with my son (he is 4 and ran kost of it) then the Rotorua marathon in 2014, so its been a long time between drinks for me.

Good job on improving the PB, I know a lot of people who run a lot, and evem do stuff like half ironman, and their 5km pb is around 27min. I reckon anything sub 5min/km is good going

• Like 1

Yeah the trouble with anything is chasing perfection and ultimately you are limited by so many other factors. I feel better knowing I can beat some iron men but then they can also swim which I can’t very well! Good luck with your training, some good running shoes will help a lot I found a brand called Hoka One One are very light and bouncy they helped me I think ( wife works for the company that owns that brand so discount applied). 

And respect to your son for doing a 5k Run ( mostly)... youth is wasted on the young ;)

• Like 1

It was a success. 11.5km in 1:05 so i'm pretty happy with that. Longest run since 2014. My dog did her longest too, 6.75km in 38min. I want to build her up to 10km as then I have a good running partner. She is a retreiver x cattle dog so built for it.

I run in Asic Nimbus, they are stupidly expensive but whenever I change I get injured. $290 a pair and can't get them online, but injuries are far worse than spending a bit more. I wait til I find them at the outlet store and buy a couple of pairs at a time, but sometimes have to pay full price. A marathon buildup uses 1.5 pairs so always have a couple to rotate them. All my gear is old now, this could prove an expensive year, lucky my RC spending is tailing off. Need a new watch, compression shorts x2, a few t shirts, shoes. A big tangent but the new watches look cool, things like sleep monitoring as well. I am really interested to see how things like a few beers, sugar, exercise or no exercise etc affect sleep.

That fun run was really fun, he was the only kid under about 8 who did it under his own steam, and he beat some of his friends mums who laughed about it but secretly a little bit of them died inside. He races his friends mums any chnace he gets, like if we see them on the way to preschool and both on bikes, Jamie usually wins. Of course when he went down the finishing chute he got heaps of cheers and a spot prize so hes hooked. I'll tske him to the xterra series this year, 5km - 7km trail runs.

Anyway, I've got 20mins to have a shower and get setup for the best day in a while. Final game of the Eng v NZ ODI series which is currently 2 all. Hope Rosco is fit to play. And prepping the buggies for the race meet tomorrow. And somehow my wife is ok with being a cricket/RC widow this weekend! Probably means shes a keeper 

11.5km in 1:05 is very good well done... I think that would be just about my limit! 

Those poor moms losing to a 4 year old lol... I’ve no idea how capable a 4 year old can be as my only reference is my 2 year old daughter who still runs like she is going to trip over any second lol.

Yikes those ASICS are expensive, my zhoka’s cost £150 out the shop compared to my normal £40 street wear ones.... still they are worth it and yes you do feel the difference if they support and prevent injuries.

Hmmm I saw the cricket listing on TV and it went on for hours..I just skipped to see that Man Utd V Liverpool is on st lunchtime so that’s my sport time booked... I only do football no cricket ;)

Today my Turnigy 2WD SCT Shocks needs building and If I have time I need to re look at the gearbox as it feels too stiff now it’s fitted... this darned £55 kit is frustrating me beyond belief.. will start the build thread when it’s finished and all organised. 

• Like 1

Before the Footy I managed to run my new XB Levant on 2s lipo... the first time I took it out the pinion gear worked loose as it wasn’t set properly from the box, but now it’s been loctited down and swapped for a RW 16t 0.6Mod one.

and my daughter liked it too.

• Like 7

Decided to do a little twist with the decals on my avante and it give me an excuse to try Mci racing to see what they are like and I must say I'm very impressed:) 

20180310_082506.jpg

• Like 9

My boy had his first real taste of Tamiya this afternoon, let him loose with my Wild Willy 2 in the back garden. I worked out how to turn the throttle down on my Tamco Tx but not before a few full throttle crashes resulting in the loss of my Active Hobby front bumper and a few battle scars! 

With the throttle at 50% he enjoyed it much much more though I think the large twin stick Tx held him back.

Bodes well for the summer and the 55T Dual Hunter I have for him... Unless he's developed an attachment to the WW2!

• Like 2

On March 7, 2018 at 4:06 PM, Losi XXT-CR said:

Not really Tamiya related. But here is a 1/10th Tamiya to give a sense of scale. 

D2BA1E51-5AA9-4112-BDE1-41FFBD576E62.jpg

3DD8F89B-11C1-44CE-B4EE-44218123A851.jpg

Curious to hear how you get on with it. I've considered the XL several times, but held back because the stock dampers looked a bit puny. 

X-Maxx work....well, really just FINALLY figured out how to update the firmware on my 8s ESC to allow for RPM and Speedometer to work! Naturally, it's time to get ready to go to dinner so no time to just run it around. Plan on working on the ClodBuster this weekend with some new Crawford parts for steering. 

1 hour ago, frameskip said:

Curious to hear how you get on with it. I've considered the XL several times, but held back because the stock dampers looked a bit puny. 

Got to use it in anger today. And had a quick go yesterday with it too. 

On gravel and dusty concrete it understeers a lot and turns to snap over oversteer. Was feeling a little underwhelmed and couldn’t put the power down on these surfaces.

But today used it on grass and mud and it works way better. Much more at home. I wasn’t really catching air with it. But the shocks seemed fine to me. Soaked up the bumps no probs. 

Pretty good performance too on 2S and very controllable. Although possible to grip roll it. The extra ground clearance over a 1/10th buggy was very evident in rough grass. 

Also ran it on 3S which gives it an insane boost in performance. Even on wet muddy grass it would easily wheelie and very easy to get it tumbling due to the torque reaction of the motor lifting the front wheels. Top speed was massively increased. This is my first foray into 3S and I have to say I was quite staggered how it changed the performance. 

Sorry no vids though. But pleased and impressed so far. 

• Like 1

Finished putting up a new work surface in my “shop” downstairs.  5’ x 8’ x 24” deep.  This is going to be where all the RC action will be happening.  Tucked away in a nice quiet corner of the basement.

RoyTHj0.jpg

Needs more finishing touches, but the main attraction is done.

• Like 6

Went racing today, had a great day out in the sun. The club recently hosted the 8th scale north island champs and extended the track by 8m, so its huge. The tracks is looking amazing though and has been modelled on the ones thatnhold big comps, like the recnt worlds in China. A few guys from the club went there and came back with all these ideas.

Anyway, the 8th nationals were on this weekend so it was a very small meet compared to normal. My 2wd finally felt like it was working and I got third overall. Then 4th in 4wd as well, that wasnt as well behaved but consistency is definitely coming. I'm now kind of in a middle group where if I dont crash I am on the lead lap with the fast guys, but still 3sec per lap off the pace, or if i crash a bit then i get lapped but am ahead of the slow guys. There are a few like me so its good fun.

One problem is a lot of people have upgraded gear since last season so some cars can drive around me on the straight. My cheap trackstar gear may have met its match.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

One problem is a lot of people have upgraded gear since last season so some cars can drive around me on the straight. My cheap trackstar gear may have met its match.

Sounds like a good day out, our outdoors are starting soon, fingers crossed summer doesn't forget to arrive 🙄😂

Your wallet is going to take a hit, even second hand, good equipment isn't cheap.

• Haha 1

Went to Ayrshire's indoor RC track, brilliant day with fellow members @Supercoolnothing and @neowhizz 

Got my race car setup on one of those new fangled, setup boards, abdolute magic!

2018-03-11_08-37-22

Also managed to wheelie the full straight with the 15t firebolt equipped, novafox!! 👍 

(I'll post proof pics up ,once i can get them off my mate! 😁) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Sounds like a good day out, our outdoors are starting soon, fingers crossed summer doesn't forget to arrive 🙄😂

Your wallet is going to take a hit, even second hand, good equipment isn't cheap.

How many race meets do you have outdoors? Or is it a case of when you tge sun, or tge rain stops, the country downs tools and you all go do your thing?

Yep pretty much. I really like the look of the Maclan gear, but makes more sense to buy a combo...basically locally a top motor is $200, secondhand $80. Or a combo from amain for $350ish...maybe my birthday, but I was thinking a charger for my birthday...maybe 2 birthdays...