Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Got my stitches removed. I still have another week and a half before I'm allowed to pick up anything more than 5 lbs, so I can't drive my cars :angry:

20180320_174847.jpeg

4 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Got my stitches removed. I still have another week and a half before I'm allowed to pick up anything more than 5 lbs, so I can't drive my cars :angry:

What happened there Biz?  

They changed my battery...literally:D I have an implant that detects seizures and sends electrical pulses to try to stop them. It looks worse than it really is, but I'm not allowed to do much until it fully heals. I just want to go drive my cars!

I was hoping for "Airborne 7700kv Hornet on 5S got me, man!"  But a battery in the skull is cool too. 

3000 years from now... "scholars debate that our ancestors had a bionic man in the early 21st century."  

10 days isn't long, take it easy for now.  

9 hours ago, Biz73 said:

They changed my battery...literally:D I have an implant that detects seizures and sends electrical pulses to try to stop them. It looks worse than it really is, but I'm not allowed to do much until it fully heals. I just want to go drive my cars!

You should have said you bought a Clod Buster and didn't tell the wife!  -lol  But seriously, glad you are ok. We need all the Tamiya guys around here we can get.

• Like 1

It's fun to tell people I had my battery changed, that or I had a brain transplant, it's funny. It looks ugly, but it's basically just a cut, all the gnarly stuff was done 3 years ago when they put the implant in. That's why it's so frustrating, I feel fine, but I'm not allowed to do squat. I got a Spektrum AVC compatible rx the day after and I still haven't gotten to see what it's like driving with it.

No time for healing, I've got toys to play with! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

replaced the two remaining suspension arms and the front bumper plus the thingy that attach's to the rear of the gearbox(what i use to pick it up with and carry)  on my top-force. so the celica gt-four front bumper is up for sale know.

and made/converted 2 fuel tanks that where in the mfu kits for my grand hauler as i could not find any that are the size i need.

Changed the connectors on most of my NiMH packs from Tamiya to XT60. Also made a few adapter leads as I didn't get round to changing all of the ESC plugs yet.

Since I had a responsibility free afternoon I decided to take a couple of cars out. Unfortunately just as I got back from dropping the wee one off at nursery the heavens opened. I sat cursing it for a couple of minutes and decided that since I had been looking forward to it for a few days now I was going out regardless of the weather. The only small concession was instead of taking the bigwig out I left it at home and took the Scx10ii (my cc-01 is currently awaiting a new bodyshell and esc but I'm sure you guys can forgive me for not using any tamiyas.)  

I started off going to the grounds of the almost abandoned hospital right on my doorstep, but it wasn't brilliant because there's loads of dog walkers etc use the grounds now and it's covered in dog poo.

So I left and went down to the local park because they have some nice walks etc. I ended up spending a really enjoyable couple of hours wandering around the various paths and had a rather nice conversation with a couple of members of the model engineering society who took a real interest in the truck and were really impressed by the engineering, scale looks and performance of it prompting one of them to comment that it's not like the "normal" rc cars that they occasionally see tearing around the park and it was more of a proper off-road vehicle but in miniature form. 

After that I found a great bit slightly away from the main park area that had every type of terrain a scaler could want to play in so I spent about an hour climbing rocks, driving through mud pits, fording deep puddles and climbing hills. By this time I realised that I couldn't really feel my fingers and it was getting close to time to get back to collect the wee one so I headed back to the car as I was heading back to the car a couple of teenagers appeared and decided to hurl abuse my way which I ignored and just continued walking (I don't understand why some people feel the need to act like that to anyone doing something slightly different and harming no one). 

It was a great day and since the wee one's in nursery again on Friday I'll be doing it again (hopefully sans abuse this time) 

• Like 6

Starting building new workbench by 1st dismembering a Amish roll-top desk. Going to using the base cabinets and tabletop and everything else is getting tossed. Desk is nice and deep with it being of the roll-top variety. Going to leave the bottom oak and paint worktop gold. 

15 minutes ago, Supercoolnothing said:

Since I had a responsibility free afternoon I decided to take a couple of cars out. Unfortunately just as I got back from dropping the wee one off at nursery the heavens opened. I sat cursing it for a couple of minutes and decided that since I had been looking forward to it for a few days now I was going out regardless of the weather. The only small concession was instead of taking the bigwig out I left it at home and took the Scx10ii (my cc-01 is currently awaiting a new bodyshell and esc but I'm sure you guys can forgive me for not using any tamiyas.)  

I started off going to the grounds of the almost abandoned hospital right on my doorstep, but it wasn't brilliant because there's loads of dog walkers etc use the grounds now and it's covered in dog poo.

So I left and went down to the local park because they have some nice walks etc. I ended up spending a really enjoyable couple of hours wandering around the various paths and had a rather nice conversation with a couple of members of the model engineering society who took a real interest in the truck and were really impressed by the engineering, scale looks and performance of it prompting one of them to comment that it's not like the "normal" rc cars that they occasionally see tearing around the park and it was more of a proper off-road vehicle but in miniature form. 

After that I found a great bit slightly away from the main park area that had every type of terrain a scaler could want to play in so I spent about an hour climbing rocks, driving through mud pits, fording deep puddles and climbing hills. By this time I realised that I couldn't really feel my fingers and it was getting close to time to get back to collect the wee one so I headed back to the car as I was heading back to the car a couple of teenagers appeared and decided to hurl abuse my way which I ignored and just continued walking (I don't understand why some people feel the need to act like that to anyone doing something slightly different and harming no one). 

It was a great day and since the wee one's in nursery again on Friday I'll be doing it again (hopefully sans abuse this time) 

Just grab them round the neck and tell them to **** off, it works dont squeeze too hard though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novicelad said:

Just grab them round the neck and tell them to **** off, it works dont squeeze too hard though

Little oiks don’t know they’re born do they! Glad it didn’t diminish your fun and hopefully they trod in a doggy doo doo round the corner.

2 hours ago, novicelad said:

Just had a bit of fun over the field, done a speed run too

The TNX is looking bada**. Have you had a chance to run it somewhere with more lumps, bumps, and dirt mounds? I'm curious about how it takes the rough stuff.

It would definitely be scary to have that beast flying at you! Just the thought makes my ankles hurt, haha.

5 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

The TNX is looking bada**. Have you had a chance to run it somewhere with more lumps, bumps, and dirt mounds? I'm curious about how it takes the rough stuff.

It would definitely be scary to have that beast flying at you! Just the thought makes my ankles hurt, haha.

Haha yeah there was a couple of moments when I had to jump out of the way the handling isnt great, hopefully if we get some nice weather will get it to the bmx track down the road!

• Like 1

Had some fun in the snow with my Clodbuster until one front wheel fell off, then it was dinner time 🙂

• Like 1

Took the opportunity of a few spare moments to review progress on my Bowler shell.

Used my new reamer to enlarge the pilot holes I’d made in the bonnet months ago.

Cut down the extended rear mounts to their proper height.

Positioned the body to mark up points for reaming  the rear body holes.

Realised why I’d stalled all those months back - body post holes in the bonnet are in the wrong place!

Reamed the rear body holes.

Reamed new front body holes.

Trimmed the front bumper and wings down to look more like reference photos from the internet.

Aside from a little trimming / sanding, the body is ready for washing and masking. 

Though the extra holes in the bonnet may become *ahem* vents.

This one certainly won’t be perfect but it is my first ever shell on my first r/c so I mustn’t let the mistakes put me off. 

• Like 1

Today:

Put the baby to bed

Set up the kitchen table with work mat, tools, and current build, set out with all the parts and hop ups in the right place on the table. About to start build... 

Baby starts crying as he can’t get to sleep. 

Attend to baby. 

Put RC build, tools and workmat away again in cupboard, two hours later.

Think about next available build opportunity, perhaps in early 2019....

Write this....

(but I love him so much he’s forgiven! :) )

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Today:

Put the baby to bed

Set up the kitchen table with work mat, tools, and current build, set out with all the parts and hop ups in the right place on the table. About to start build... 

Baby starts crying as he can’t get to sleep. 

Attend to baby. 

Put RC build, tools and workmat away again in cupboard, two hours later.

Think about next available build opportunity, perhaps in early 2019....

Write this....

(but I love him so much he’s forgiven! :) )

Aw, I know what you mean. Got my gear out when the boy was playing brio trains. Fed him and me, bathed him, put him to bed and attacked the shell of the car I started in...2015?! 

Saturdays when Mrs BC was at work and he was napping used to give me 2 clear hours to play in the afternoon. Then he stopped napping...

...but now he’s started playing with RC!

The sun came out so i packed the Grasshopper3, Thunder Dragon and Grasshopper2 Ultra G in the van and gave them all a run before work. Just a nice day to be driving my cars. All running nicely, but Ultra G in particular is just such a fun little car. So happy with how it turned out.

Clipped the outer row of blocks off the Thunder Dragon front tyres and its made the balance much more friendly.

Also packed a bike ride in at lunchtime, so a very good day!

Took my HSP Bronto into work and gradually finished converting it to brushless in little 5 minute bursts when it was quiet.

Got it ready at about 4pm and took it out in the street for a quick test. The girl in the hairdressers next door ribbed me for being a big kid so I drove it towards her and stopped it about a meter away. Her response was to jump in the air and drop her cigarette :P I wasn't expecting that! I didn't even go that fast and pulled up a good distance from her so it was even funnier with that massive overreaction.

So after I got out of work, I braved the local playing fields, despite suffering from early onset man flu, for a quick "test flight" and it sure has some poke now! The motor is a 13.5T sensored Graupner/GM that I managed to get for next to nowt on ebay last year, cost me something stupid like £6. And the ESC is one of those £12 120A Hobbywing clones. It ran sweet as a nut. The top speed isn't insane on 2s but it's pretty good and the acceleration is great. 

The chassis was barely awake with the brushed motor so it was cool to see it leaning into corners and generally working a lot harder than before. It's more eager to take flight now too. It still owes me less than £100 even with the new motor and ESC. Might be some of the best VFM I've gotten out of an RC!

• Like 1

engaged on two fronts

HPI Venture FJ Cruiser, RTR but completely disassembled and reassembled, new tires, new link (SS and alu), new servo.

venture_127.jpg

Tamiya m-chassis m-07, being completed, lot of Tamiya and 3racing hop up

M07_072.jpg

in memory of Badboy

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Took my HSP Bronto into work and gradually finished converting it to brushless in little 5 minute bursts when it was quiet.

Got it ready at about 4pm and took it out in the street for a quick test. The girl in the hairdressers next door ribbed me for being a big kid so I drove it towards her and stopped it about a meter away. Her response was to jump in the air and drop her cigarette :P I wasn't expecting that! I didn't even go that fast and pulled up a good distance from her so it was even funnier with that massive overreaction.

So after I got out of work, I braved the local playing fields, despite suffering from early onset man flu, for a quick "test flight" and it sure has some poke now! The motor is a 13.5T sensored Graupner/GM that I managed to get for next to nowt on ebay last year, cost me something stupid like £6. And the ESC is one of those £12 120A Hobbywing clones. It ran sweet as a nut. The top speed isn't insane on 2s but it's pretty good and the acceleration is great. 

The chassis was barely awake with the brushed motor so it was cool to see it leaning into corners and generally working a lot harder than before. It's more eager to take flight now too. It still owes me less than £100 even with the new motor and ESC. Might be some of the best VFM I've gotten out of an RC!

I sort of wonder if I can get away with doing a bit of hobbytime at work, we have to take a 30 minute break at lunch where I mostly sit and look on the internet hmmmmmm

33 minutes ago, novicelad said:

I sort of wonder if I can get away with doing a bit of hobbytime at work, we have to take a 30 minute break at lunch where I mostly sit and look on the internet hmmmmmm

That's why I keep kit on my desk ;-).

Makes for good conversation too!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, novicelad said:

This.

I am meant to take two 30min breaks (normally only take one) and have wondered if I join the two, how much rc stuff I can get done at work, that I would never get the chance to do at home 😊