Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Started the build:

IMG_20180402_224748.jpg

Easily the best kit I've ever put together. Exquisite engineering yet surprisingly simple and elegant. Just awesome! :)

8 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Hotshot II

Has your Boomerang broken it's arms too? :( looks tad flat

Ordered shock oil, which I know sounds a pretty easy thing to do but man was it a mission.  Took ages to decide on the brand as no one had the full range in stock, then I did and then the shipping from RCMart was about a million dollars.  Then back to the drawing board and ended up getting Losi oils locally for a reasonable price for the set of 6.  Unfortunately its really expensive to get a single one, so will cross that bridge when I use up a bottle.

Now trying to distract myself so I don't keep checking the cricket, as every time I check we lose a wicket.  We need to bat out the final session with 4 wickets in hand.  I hope it works out for us like the last time England toured and Matt Prior kept Monty Panesaar off strike for the best part of an hour to secure the draw.  That would be karma, but I doubt it works like that.

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2018 at 12:07 AM, speedy_w_beans said:

I ordered a DN-01 Zahhak and a F104W Wolf WR1 from Tamiya USA today.  Both will be built and driven...  fast!  Both are at decent prices - $110 USD and $99 USD.  Cheap thrills...

Searching on "Zahhak," it's amazing this forum has talked about it periodically since 2010, and yet there are no build threads for it.  I'm thinking about doing a build thread to mirror @Effigy3's TRF201 build thread and try a speed run in @Jason1145's thread.

I do love my F103GT LM Nismo, but I've been wondering what it would be like if Tamiya had introduced a F104GT...  This is yet another semi-custom project percolating in the back of my head...

The DN01 and F104W arrived today, so I stared at the kit boxes for about 10 minutes before coming back to reality...  The clothes washer just died, so that's top priority now...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

The DN01 and F104W arrived today, so I stared at the kit boxes for about 10 minutes before coming back to reality...  The clothes washer just died, so that's top priority now...

Lucky the kits arrived before the washer died so you don't have to think about whether you order them after that expense!

This has probably been asked already, but are you doing a build thread on the DN01?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Congratulations, Speedy (on getting them before your washer went kaput.... Good one! Jonathon!) 

Knowing how meticulous Speedy is, you would not make the novice mistakes I made.  But [1] if you bought a slipper clutch, build that first.  It was rather difficult to get the black pin-stopper-rubber-ring off the counter gear and transfer it to another shaft.  

[2] The differential has some slop sideways.  I put 0.5mm shims on both sides of the differential (pic below), and there was still some slop. I test fitted a 3rd shim on one side only, and it had bound the diff.  So the total gap might be less than 1.5mm (maybe like 1.3mm).  Still, it felt big to me.  [3] The lower rear A-arms also have some gap -- 1 washer each helped (I don't mean one clothes-washer each, by the way).  You might be used to those shaft-holding-ball-thingies (pillow balls?). But they were new to me.  How they like to roll away from me!  It was particularly frustrating to add washers after everything was built (obviously).  

I hope the clothes washer situation gets sorted painlessly.  And have fun building it! (Zahhak, hopefully not your clothes washer-- I'm sure you could do it, but I'd assume that'd be less fun -- I bought a replacement belt for our clothes drier, but as soon as they were delivered, it stopped making horrible screeching noises...)  

BUe0Wx0.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, guys, for the tips and the warm wishes!

Sure, I'll do a build thread on the DN01.  It may be a few weeks before I get started as the clothes washer, car repair, and business travel are all in the way at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Devising a plan for my Runner Grasshopper II Super G which includes new power delivery system, color scheme and wheels/tires. 

It will be glorious :lol:

• Like 2

i found my lunchbox shell i stripped to re-paint a couple of years ago while i was looking for something in a cupboard a few days back so i got to work on it.

so i got back to flatting it and primed it with the wilko white primer(it don't say what type of paint is is on the can) as i wanted to see how it turn's out before i use it on my grand hauler shell. it went on great 

then to the yellow coat the first coat and no reaction:D then to the second coat and a few runs but nothing major and on the bonnet it reacted like i put sand on it.

again no biggie so i flatted the runs and the sand like reaction out and put on the third coat and have left it at that gonna leave it to go off over the next few days and then clear coat it over the weekend 

oh and i painted the shell while it was a typical april day i'e thunder/lightning rain and hail storm  and it as yet looks great.

• Like 1

Current plan for GHII Super G goodness:

- 3000kv/60A Brushless/ESC combo, most likely from GoolRC

- Five-spoke flat black buggy wheels

- Colors: Blue, Yellow, White 

- Decals: 1992 Williams FW14B (Mansells's steed)

- Window netting

- LED A-pillar side Running lights. Rear red LED "brake" light

• Like 1

9 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Thanks, guys, for the tips and the warm wishes!

Sure, I'll do a build thread on the DN01.  It may be a few weeks before I get started as the clothes washer, car repair, and business travel are all in the way at the moment.

Just throw a new silver can in the washer and she'll be good to go!  I wouldn't go for much hotter than a Sport or a Dirt Tuned motor though.  Those washing machine bearings can't handle that kind of torque.  You'll just end up overheating the WSC (washing speed control) or stipping the pinion.  :)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NWarty said:

Current plan for GHII Super G goodness:

- 3000kv/60A Brushless/ESC combo, most likely from GoolRC

I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy electronics from a company named GoolRC.  I just don't trust them.  :/

12 minutes ago, Effigy3 said:

I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy electronics from a company named GoolRC.  I just don't trust them.  :/

Funny you say that Eff, I thought the same thing just recently :P

I just ordered the front hex/bearing adapter hubs for the fronts and the 12x5mm for the rears. 

Just ordered myself one of these:

Screenshot_20180403-221416

I'm trying to justify it in the hope my lad will eventually use it for a scooter. I've loved the idea of one of these but could not justify the money on it for just jumping my tamiya, but at £27 delivered I had to bite :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have something similar, 2 single ramps that the Mrs found on one of those FB selling sites for £2 each bargain but the best ramps are tree roots or grassy banks.

6 hours ago, Effigy3 said:

Just throw a new silver can in the washer and she'll be good to go!  I wouldn't go for much hotter than a Sport or a Dirt Tuned motor though.  Those washing machine bearings can't handle that kind of torque.  You'll just end up overheating the WSC (washing speed control) or stipping the pinion.  :)

Careful its not a 4 slot johnson though, you won't be able to stop the washer skipping around the house

7 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

I have something similar, 2 single ramps that the Mrs found on one of those FB selling sites for £2 each bargain but the best ramps are tree roots or grassy banks.

Nice! Yeah I've been keeping an eye on fb for the past 12 months but nothing local. I know it would be the sort of thing to get chucked if people don't want any more. I find the ground clearance a bit low on my DI to use on grass, etc. My TD is better for that

I ordered up a Neo Scorcher sticker set from Tony's Tamiya Parts.  I didn't realize those things had been discontinued!  :o  My daughter doesn't drive her TT-02B so I'm going to turn it into a shelf queen.  The new body I ordered (a new replacement pink special body simply can't be found) arrived sans decal sheet. Delivery estimate claims April 9th.  From the UK to TX, US?  That's some pretty fast postal speed.  We'll see if that turns out to be accurate.

5 minutes ago, Effigy3 said:

That's some pretty fast postal speed.  We'll see if that turns out to be accurate.

I find it hilarious that shipping from the UK to the US is much faster than Canada. Lord, I can't stand waiting on stuff from Canukistan.  

Today I ordered a set of wheels and tires for the Super G. Black five spoke. Also ordered is the Goolrc motor and esc combo. Project is officially underway. 

continued the filling of gaps on the grand hauler shell.

and i noticed a spare dashboard on the tree so i.m having a go at converting the grand hauler to right hand drive (the right side ;))

also found a place that sell's house of colour paint about 15 mins from my house so gonna take a trip their on saturday to choose a a colour for the grand hauler plus from a conversation today the put it into rattle cans........bonus

I haven' been on in a while. So my today post may be a catch up.yesterday bought a Vanquish. Over the past few weeks I've restored 3 WW 58035 sold one and selling another 2 . 

• Like 1

A few days ago... installed electrics into my M04L.... a first time to use a Flysky GT2B radio thingy... it all set up pretty well but man the LED lights are blinding when you are trying to read the dials for trims!

2DOvS9x.jpg

fnIwQ3O.jpg

I2efFuq.jpg

A GoolRC combo..... waterproof 45A ESC and 3900Kv motor

C6PogOR.jpg

5fUGtpv.jpg

Will replace this for a waterproof servo at some point

v9uGywf.jpg

And this is too low! I need to trim it a bit and make it have just a lip at the front.

yJSVqZD.jpg

• Like 3

Jason, 

How do you like the GoolRC waterproff 45A ESC? I just ordered one with a GoolRC 3000kv brushless motor

7 minutes ago, NWarty said:

Jason, 

How do you like the GoolRC waterproff 45A ESC? I just ordered one with a GoolRC 3000kv brushless motor

They are absolutely fine on my 2s lipo’s I get a little bit of cogging on on slow start up but once rolling it’s fine and very responsive. The 3000kv might not even have any cogging as it’s a lower KV

The waterproof aspect is great too and I’ve soaked and rinsed them before with no issues. They seem to calibrate easily without a problem to a variety of radios ( maybe that’s the radios doing that lol)

There is a programme card for GoolESC’s but I think it’s only for their 60a and 120a so can’t use it on these 45a ESC’s.

Anyone know what the LVC cut offs are set to on these 45a ESC’s ( Suspect it’s 3.1v per cell like on my Gool 120a esc)

I never run them long enough to hit lvc and they are luckily always at around 3.8v when I stop - pure luck! I have an lvc alarm set to 3.4v incase 

Hope yours arrives soon.