Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ran my 5200kv/7.5t motor in my DT03 for the first time. Melted the battery connector. Also very sudden break aways left and right. Can't think it is the diff so i might finally have to glue my tyres, which is dull. Ordered some Deans connectors. Also threw a couple of coats on this

2018-04-13_05-56-05

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Ran my 5200kv/7.5t motor in my DT03 for the first time. Melted the battery connector. Also very sudden break aways left and right. Can't think it is the diff so i might finally have to glue my tyres, which is dull. Ordered some Deans connectors. Also threw a couple of coats on this

2018-04-13_05-56-05

I nearly ended up in A&E when gluing on my dt03 tyres!

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, novicelad said:

I nearly ended up in A&E when gluing on my dt03 tyres!

your not alone their. i cant take a top of a glue bottle without glueing my fingers together:lol:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, topforcein said:

your not alone their. i cant take a top of a glue bottle without glueing my fingers together:lol:

Invest in a box of disposable gloves...:)

RC related but not your typical thing, but just wrote a grant application for our club looking for a grant to build a new race control. Most of the guys on the committee are practical tradie types, so its great that I can finally contribute something meaningful. Well, its got to be submitted etc yet, but you know.

Also just got a great deal on a Trinity Monster Max 21.5T motor off a fellow clubmember (different club). Brand new in box but has been tuned, its crazy, this motor has 25,500rpm on the motor analyser which is 3445kv from  21.5T motor at 7.4V! I wasn't going to but its about 40% off new price and has already been tuned, and now my TA07 is complete and will have the speed to compete with the best. Will probably continue with the Speed Passion for a couple more meets though and get the car setup dialed in. Oh I have bought from the member before and he is well regarded, so i trust what he says. Its this one

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-trinity-monster-max-roar-spec-brushless-motor-21.5t-tritep1507/p665697

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Invest in a box of disposable gloves...:)

know trust me on this them  make it worse i always keep a box of them in as its a habit from my valeting days and i will use them esp for painting;)

Fitted a handy silvercan to my wife’s M03 chassis. 16T pinion looked a bit far out but I didn’t have my M03 pinion stopper to hand so it will have to come back out again, just to make sure.

Realised I’m missing a couple of screws so stalled again when it came to installing the servo. 

Earlier in the evening I’d had a request for ‘steps’ in my son’s Octopod - like in Mummy’s dolls house. Out came the x-acto knife and cutting board and a cardboard ladder was duly fashioned.

So at least I have done something constructive!

Well today my wife got taken into hospital to be induced 2 weeks early. But so far no wee baby son #3 as yet. So I popped home to catch some sleep. But before I do goto bed I thought I would put some colour on the Laguna body.

So heated up the tin of Tamiya PS9 Green paint in some warm water. Masked the windows but left a sunstrip as I want it to match the body colour as per the real car. Heated up the body lightly using a warm/medium hot hairdrier heat and then done a misting coat to seal the paint masks. Then blasted it with the hairdrier again. Then coat #2 went on and again hairdrier, etc etc etc until coat 5 was done.

IMG_20180413_214852_1.jpg

IMG_20180413_214847.jpg

IMG_20180413_214905.jpg

Came out not bad, then removed the paint masks and also the overfilm. And boy is it glossy :) Awesome and the colour match is spot on for the real car (pics appear darker due to poor light)

IMG_20180413_220537.jpg

IMG_20180413_220524.jpg

So I might skip some sleep and apply some decals tonight. :)  Then throw some PC5 brush on polycarbonate paint on the outside window surrounds so that they appear more matte as they are far too glossy (which I knew they would be) but gives me a nice line to follow now, def worth the effort.

Real car reference paint colour,

renault_laguna_1998_images_3.jpg

James.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Good luck with the wee delivery @InsaneJim69

Misting to seal the masks... do tell?!

Thanks mate. :)

Just the usual. first coat should always be light around the masks (if its a single colour body of course) that way it helps seal the masks and avoid all bleeds. Although same goes for multiple colours too along each mask line. Then you end up with a super crisp line with not even a hint of a bleed.

James.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bearings cleaned out, re-lubed.  

You can blow on the gear (Konghead), and it turns.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Ok I’m going to say it... magnetic body posts?

Awesome car Norris, tyre decals look perfect too.

If there are no holes in the body or if there is sufficient room I always try to use stealth mounts, but on this the body sits too low on the front posts, and unlike the TT-02 I use for standard wheelbase cars, there's no bumper mounted post option. On this car you'd still have holes in the shell which the stickers don't cover.

I've experimented with velcro but it's to imprecise when I'm trying to get the body position so exact.

• Like 1

Located the missing screw (I’d bought a pack when I first got my TL01) I needed to mount the M03 servo. Just got it done and the rain came so a big rush to get all the RC gear back in the garage (and the washing in).

Small steps but I’m getting there. Rear axles, body mounts and fit the wheels and it will be done.

• Like 1

Love love love the color scheme

Done pulling tape. Any flaws between the blue and yellow will be covered up with red and white pinstriping.

0b5bd45cc7cf6095704e44811a8a1e05.jpg

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, NWarty said:

Done pulling tape. Any flaws between the blue and yellow will be covered up with red and white pinstriping.

Very nice! Please post a pic once complete

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NWarty said:

Yes yes YES! Love it

Finished the paint on my new TD shell today. Core RC neon carrot backed in white. The carrot was nice paint. Knight White wasn't so nice. Ok for a backing coat but i would avoid for a solid colour. Can't wait for the decals to arrive

2018-04-14_08-31-24

• Like 7

On 28/03/2018 at 8:35 PM, Bromley said:

Fitted a new Alturn servo in my TT-01 race truck. Much quicker and less slop in the steering now. Race night can't come round soon enough!

Bromley which Alturn servo was that? I just bought 3 of the Alturn AAS-700STD ones and something was odd about them. First one only had 1 small M3 3mm long screw in the pack which was too wide to go into the servo spline at all.

The second one I opened had 4 x M2 12mm thin screws which must be to mount the servo ears to servo stays... but these were only 2mm wide and yet we’re too small to fit in this servo spline ( just slid in and out) but did bite in the first servo spline ( so the two servos have different sized screw holes or badly machined).

I ain’t checked the third as I’m too miffed at these darned servo’s! I just wanted standard waterproof servo’s but these splines don’t take regular M3 screws be they machined or self tappers... the hole on top is too small.

GoolRC 3000kv motor and ESC arrived today finally!

Cleaning up the gearbox tonight and installing a full set of ball bearings. 

3f52eeb88d3b902085a2803ed974c253.jpg

• Like 5

Finally opened up the gearbox on my GrassHornet to coat the diff gears in anti wear grease. Probably do the same to the Midnight Pumpkin tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

I’m too miffed at these darned servo’s!

I got an Alturn high speed race servo for the novafox, mainly because they were cheap for their quoted speed of 0.09s. My futaba brushless race servo is quoted as 0.10s, and they were close to £100 new! 

Anyway, did a vid to show the difference.........🤔

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I got an Alturn high speed race servo for the novafox, mainly because they were cheap for their quoted speed of 0.09s. My futaba brushless race servo is quoted as 0.10s, and they were close to £100 new! 

Anyway, did a vid to show the difference.........🤔

Interesting video, a huge difference there.

I should do the same with my Lazer (Savox 1258TG) Ultima (Savox 1251MG) and TRF102 (Trackstar TS-D99X)

I haven't had any of the problems that Jason has had, but the Trackstar claimed numbers are better than the 1251MG but I reckon they're worse. The 1258TG is the best by far, but pricey unless you get lucky secondhand