Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not today but Saturday and Sunday, went racing.  My parents wanted to have my son for the weekend and my wife had 2 assignments due (she's studying this year) so I could go to 2 race meets. 

The onroad was a mixed bag.  The club has combined onroad and offroad (onroad with bumps!) into one night so it is really really long.  So long that I haven't stayed for the finals yet, as each round takes about 2 1/2 hours so its just so much waiting around and then getting home at 11pm.  But the F1 is going really well, I'm now comfortably mid pack and actually not far off second.  First is about 2 laps ahead though, he is a 16yo machine.  The TA07 isn't at all well behaved and I'm having real problems getting it to handle at all.  I have met someone with a lot of experience who is going to help me out which is great.  The club is a bit funny, they have a core of people who take it and themselves far too seriously and get angry, then a bunch of really nice people.  They are trialling outdoor onroad in a couple of weeks and I think the TA07 will be more at home on asphalt.  I compared it to an old carbon fibre car and there is night and day between them.  The TA07 is so flexible, which makes me think it isn't a carpet car without a whole lot of upgrades, which aren't worth it.

If anyone has some tips to make the TA07 behave on carpet then they would be gratefully received!  Its stock but has swaybars and spring kit.  Not to name names but @qatmix@GooneyBird@Saito spring to mind...

Sunday was a great day out.  That was my offroad track and there was a huge turnout so about 60 - 70 cars over 10 heats.  There were 14 in 2wd stock and I qualified 7th and came 6th (I think) so was pretty happy.  Of 13 in 4wd stock I qualified 5th but came 6th in the final and am annoyed with myself as I thought one of the usual front runners was lapping me so let him past, turns out he had come off and I was actually ahead.  My transponder somehow came loose after lap 3, but luckily I knew where I came as 3 of us were vying for 4th - 6th so while the points won't show 6th place I don't care as I'm only worried about how I'm going.  I had done some work on both cars (stuff people apparently do all the time like rebuild shocks, tighten things etc) so both cars were on form.

I have also proven to myself that I can now cope with the cars, my lap times are consistent and I barely need marshalling anymore so the new motor/esc for the 4wd will be ordered as soon as the finance committee signs off (which I think will be after the 12th when the credit card is paid off, big month last month a my 1:1 turned 3 and needed a new warranty)

So overall a great weekend and 3 of the 4 cars are going great.  I guess there will always be one...

• Like 4

Well it was a rubbish bank holiday weekend for me and the family. We were all due to travel to the in laws for them to look after our 3 boys and let me and the wife have a date night (food drinks and cinema) Only for some idiot to smash into the back of my parked car outside our door on early Saturday morning. 😪☹️, Luckily everything was calm and she instantly accepted liability. So just waiting for a hire car (will be here today) and then wait for my car to be uplifted to the bodyshop. So kinda ruined our whole weekend plans.

But hey, nothing we can do about it now tbh. But on an R/C front, looking forward to getting the decals on the Laguna and the wheels fitted etc this week :)

James.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Had a quick blast with the Lunchbox again, hopefully a few more cars by the end of the day!

8cSgIU6.jpg

• Like 7

Picked up the Tamiya 51000 servo saver from the local collection point. 18 days after it was supposedly sent. Big company that were next to useless to deal with. Won’t be using again. 

Can at least finally get the girls DT03 back running in one form or another. 

• Like 1

I managed to get back out and drive one of my Nikko monster trucks. This was the second time I've been able to test my new GS spec (That's @Granddad Stinky spec!) gearbox! GS made some alterations with his lathe so that I could replace the crappy plastic bearings with proper metal ones. The front carriers have bearings now too. It runs much smoother now and the battery life is better too. Even the gearbox sounds smoother whilst still maintaining it's characteristic whine. And perhaps best of all, I don't have to worry about dirt getting inside the plastic bearings and grinding the metal parts away any more! 

3Ws5DUb.jpg

Great fun to drive, it's far from sophisticated and doesn't like fast corners on grippy surfaces but it's great for bouncing around on dirt and grass etc. It does a bit better on road when I use it with a lexan shell but I wanted to go full old school today!

The Tamiya sport tuned motor seems to make a decent match for it although I've used a 20T Trinity in the past which turned it into a real rocket but the handling on tarmac etc became even more precarious! 

This was the RWD version. Next step is to get bearings working on the front gearbox of the 4WD version!

I'll add a video to the youtubed thread later on.

• Like 2

Ordered my new motor/esc combo for my Lazer, its the Orca B32 blinky spec ESC and 17.5T Blitreme motor which gets great reviews.  I think I've discussed it with my wife already, hopefully she thinks the same.  I got an email saying that they were placing this months order for stuff so if I want it then I had to pay today, so had to make an executive decision...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Managed to squeeze in some Tamiya time in between decorating.

Sunday: attempted to run the M04 but suffered the intermittent go / no go issue with my TL01 chassis. Tried two rx and two ESC to no avail. Disappointed 3 yr old.

Monday: Finished the black on the Bowler body. Much happier, Think I am rid of any translucency.

Swapped the M04 motor for a second hand silver can and tried out my first trigger/wheel tx - a cheap Carson from Tamico. Success!

Fitted the 2002 body. It rubbed on the rear arch when running so I trimmed it and the rubbing noise stopped. It was determined not to stay on the chassis, however, my homebrew rear mounts weren’t strong enough and the front would then pop off. Think I might drill the body and revert to regular posts...

The M04 was pretty zippy and I was unfamiliar with the controls. I ran out of talent fairly quickly and ran into a concrete block but it looks like the servo saver did its job. It will mean stripping the front end to find out. <sigh>

Popped the rx into my TL01 Bowler chassis and ran it on the lawn (mowed last week). Now that WAS fun! Really looking forward to getting the body on now. Was about to head inside, ran the car back to my feet and a wheel fell off!

Note to self: check wheel nuts before running.

11 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

I managed to get back out and drive one of my Nikko monster trucks. This was the second time I've been able to test my new GS spec (That's @Granddad Stinky spec!) gearbox! GS made some alterations with his lathe so that I could replace the crappy plastic bearings with proper metal ones. The front carriers have bearings now too. It runs much smoother now and the battery life is better too. Even the gearbox sounds smoother whilst still maintaining it's characteristic whine. And perhaps best of all, I don't have to worry about dirt getting inside the plastic bearings and grinding the metal parts away any more! 

3Ws5DUb.jpg

Great fun to drive, it's far from sophisticated and doesn't like fast corners on grippy surfaces but it's great for bouncing around on dirt and grass etc. It does a bit better on road when I use it with a lexan shell but I wanted to go full old school today!

The Tamiya sport tuned motor seems to make a decent match for it although I've used a 20T Trinity in the past which turned it into a real rocket but the handling on tarmac etc became even more precarious! 

This was the RWD version. Next step is to get bearings working on the front gearbox of the 4WD version!

I'll add a video to the youtubed thread later on.

Looks excellent fun, subscribed to your channel too! 

6 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Ordered my new motor/esc combo for my Lazer, its the Orca B32 blinky spec ESC and 17.5T Blitreme motor which gets great reviews.  I think I've discussed it with my wife already, hopefully she thinks the same.  I got an email saying that they were placing this months order for stuff so if I want it then I had to pay today, so had to make an executive decision...

Quoting myself to update. It turns out I had discussed with my wife, I owned up and its all good!

• Like 2

On 5/4/2018 at 1:36 PM, Peter_B said:

Sabre needs a propshaft, the correct front, upper wishbones - it has some adjustable, presumably third party, ones on there now. It could also do with a new body.

Please post a pic of the upper arms once you have them off. Quite curious to see how they’re fashioned. 

Charging a LiPo battery for the first time. It's on 'balance' charge and it's under my desk right now and I'm a bit scared!

Also completely cured my Thunder Dragon's seemingly terminal oversteer/dorifto by switching to the newly released Schumacher Mini Spike Yellows to the rear of the car. 2" to fit the Egress wheels. 

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Charging a LiPo battery for the first time. It's on 'balance' charge and it's under my desk right now and I'm a bit scared!

LiPo charged absolutely fine. Plugged it into the car and the ESC fried immediately. One of those cheap knock off 120A Hobbywing copies off ebay, but had been good as gold on 8.4V NiMH. Literally plugged the battery in and the ESC fried itself. What the badword? It's only a 55C 2S LiPo. Nothing mental. Started a complaint on ebay to the seller. Only had it three weeks, and it's supposed to run 3S LiPo. 

Just ordered a pukka Hobbywing EZRUN 60A ESC from Modelsport.

• Like 1

Tried, again, to solder wires to a brushless motor. I hear any idiot can solder, but I'm not your average idiot:angry: My hands shake so bad I can't hold the iron and solder steadily on a small wire to tin it. Brain surgery and prescription meds suck! I guess I have to call my step-dad to see if he can solder these up for me. I want to break things right now, so I'm not doing anything with my cars:lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Tried, again, to solder wires to a brushless motor. I hear any idiot can solder, but I'm not your average idiot:angry: My hands shake so bad I can't hold the iron and solder steadily on a small wire to tin it. Brain surgery and prescription meds suck! I guess I have to call my step-dad to see if he can solder these up for me. I want to break things right now, so I'm not doing anything with my cars:lol:

Try a "third hand"

291-01.jpg

• Like 2

I've got 1. It won't feed the solder into where I need it. I try as hard as I can to hold the solder steady, but the tip of it is just bouncing around. I've always been able to do a little research and figure out how to do anything I needed, this wouldn't have been an issue 3.5 years ago. It's frustrating, but I just have to accept that I need help with certain things.

When I work on cars, I have to use my other hand to guide the screwdriver tip into the screw head. My hands shake, it is what it is.

Had a few hours today so I installed the electronics on my re re top force and put the wheels on. Seems quick with the 7.5 brushless. Now just need to cut the body, paint and decal it.

Then finished putting back together my 959 after cleaning and re greasing. Just need to install electronics. Then work on the body.

• Like 2

Took updated photos of the fleet. I need to add the Bigwig, re-painted GHII and re-painted Midnight Pumpkin to my showroom.

VvBYllU.jpg

I45E4of.jpg

zwr8BYN.jpg

• Like 8

Slowly getting there with my Dancing Rider.. Quick loop of the house proves its ace! Really good fun, unlike anything else to drive :D

DSC_0015.JPG

• Like 2

Ended up bin diving. Got home from work and my neighbour was having a clear out. Noticed this sat on the top and asked if I could have it. After a quick look I think it's a mighty bull. Are you guys able to confirm? If its not any idea what it is or what shells would fit? Would like to fix up for my lad. Looks like it's hardly been run. 

20180510_203343

• Like 2