Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Added the last 3 decals to my 1998 Laguna around the windscreen scuttle panel. And also painted a set of wheels for my 1997 Laguna in TS44 Brilliant Blue.

IMG_20180516_172723.jpg

James.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Added the last 3 decals to my 1998 Laguna around the windscreen scuttle panel. And also painted a set of wheels for my 1997 Laguna in TS44 Brilliant Blue.

IMG_20180516_172723.jpg

James.

Looks spot on James👍 

Takes me back to the good old days of BTCC especially the RS500's.

Not a big fan of FWD so I always routed for the BMW's in the 90's

I remember being at Donington park when Tiff Needle punted Nige into a bridge😯

• Like 1

Been flat chat lately, but had a quick spin around the garden with the Blitzer before switching to night shift :)

http://CldTaCK.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I converted my short course truck to brushless and gave it a try in a parking lot down the street, it moves. It definitely amplifies the issues of the stock tires. When I hit the brakes and turned to slide the back end around it spun a full 360, a couple of times almost 540! I don't want to wear down the tread on my Duratrax Sixpacks, so I will probably get some street tires soon. I haven't even played with timing or punch settings yet, and I've got 2 more teeth to go up as far as pinions. I'm going to have some experimenting to do :D

• Like 1

Bought myself a rtr Avante 2001, with box and extra parts :) This is great for now I can replace the lid on my nib avante 2001 to one in much better condition and now I have another 2001, to build into a black special :) 

• Like 2

Played with the set up of the T3-01. Extended the forks to show 20mm of stanchion so that they sag ever so slightly under the trikes own weight and have little / no pre load on them. Also placed a shim under the top crown to remove all the vertical movement but still allow full unrestricted movement. Now much more stable over tarmac / driveway ripples and long sweepers. Have to break harder to tighten its line now (probably as its wheelbase is now longer) so may shorten a couple of mm's further. If it becomes to stiff again I'll cut the springs to suit. 

DSC_0017.JPG

• Like 1

Have popped this up previously, new to this forum malarkey wasn't sure how to direct you to it! I've also managed to source the correct balance board to charge the Tamiya LiFE battery. Once that arrives I'll pop a link up to it as no where that sells the battery can supply the correct lead! 🤪 

DSC_0016.JPG

• Like 4

Been working on a 419xr conversion for my 17.5t blinky indoor racer. After 6 months of racing I had just got the car on pace so I hope it isn't a backwards step in the short term! 

20180518_114622

Overall I'm impressed with the upgrades, just wish the conversion kit wasn't so pricey!  Most of the changes are subtle but the chassis are visibly very different (XR left, X right), the only modification I've done is the swapping of the carbon centre brace for a friction damper after reading The RC Racer article it seemed the way to go on higher grip surfaces.

20180518_114901

@qatmix  Thanks again for the advice, can't wait to try it out! 

• Like 2

I few months back I swapped out the 13.5T motor in my TT-02 Suzuki SX4 rally because I felt it was overpowered.  I picked up a 21.5T Trinity D3.5 motor off a deal I found on eBay.  Yes, the off angle blue wire drives me batty but the wire isn't long enough to solder on in the same direction as the other 2.  :(

I got to run it about today at lunch and I think 21.5T is just about perfect!

05.18.2018-14.58.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Been doing some rc stuff handelig. Got all the boxes down from the loft, a bit more than I could remember, preparing for moving houses tomorrow. Also had a look at what is going to be my new mancave, and I do realize now that all my stuff just won’t fit into that room. What’s cool about the room is that it’s a kitchen so I do have water and ventilation, which I know will be handy.  The whole kitchen will be taken down and new work bench and shelf’s will be mounted  

824E0B76-B691-403B-B55B-F135E03B0514_zps

16C73A49-D2F2-4847-909C-2AB24405AC88_zps

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Re-glued a set of tires/wheels for my ECX Torment. Apparently silicone only works as a tire glue when running fairly mild motors, my tire flew off within 60 feet of taking off with the new 3600kv brushless motor!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Got everything ready to go to the track for a few laps with my son, which included putting the electronics back in the Lazer and charging 5 batteries, only for it to start raining and get heavier the closer we got. There were too many puddles to run the cars even when the rain stopped. So I'm hoping tomorrow clears up so I can run the cars rather than having to storage charge the batteries.

• Sad 2

50 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Got everything ready to go to the track for a few laps with my son, which included putting the electronics back in the Lazer and charging 5 batteries, only for it to start raining and get heavier the closer we got. There were too many puddles to run the cars even when the rain stopped. So I'm hoping tomorrow clears up so I can run the cars rather than having to storage charge the batteries.

That’s a shame. Perhaps the club could invest in some tennis court ‘squeegees’ where my son plays they have some 6 foot long ones on small wheels with a sack barrow type handle on that can be pushed along to clear the court quickly after a down pour so play can continue. Works really well. 

Edit- Would only work on hard surface though, expect you were planning off road fun !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

That’s a shame. Perhaps the club could invest in some tennis court ‘squeegees’ where my son plays they have some 6 foot long ones on small wheels with a sack barrow type handle on that can be pushed along to clear the court quickly after a down pour so play can continue. Works really well. 

Edit- Would only work on hard surface though, expect you were planning off road fun !!

Yep this is an outdoor dirt track, the best kind to race on. This club wouldn't have the money to spend on anything like that,  there are about 40 members who pay $50 per year and thats all their income. Its built and maintained by the members getting stuck in which works pretty well. Its worlds apart from my other club which has an amazing facility which is being improved all the time.

Fitted some new 1/2 inch offset Louise wheels and tyres to my Team Associated Trophy Rat Truck.... these widen the track from 285mm to 320mm, I might even be able to squeeze these under the extremely wide Proline Silverado Pro Touring shell which hefts in at 312mm wide!

4hcBAks.jpg

pQIICSD.jpg

• Like 8

14 hours ago, bjorklo said:

Been doing some rc stuff handelig. Got all the boxes down from the loft, a bit more than I could remember, preparing for moving houses tomorrow. Also had a look at what is going to be my new mancave, and I do realize now that all my stuff just won’t fit into that room. What’s cool about the room is that it’s a kitchen so I do have water and ventilation, which I know will be handy.  The whole kitchen will be taken down and new work bench and shelf’s will be mounted  

824E0B76-B691-403B-B55B-F135E03B0514_zps

16C73A49-D2F2-4847-909C-2AB24405AC88_zps

V jealous.You’ll have to do a build thread on it...! 

I don’t have a man cave, I wish I did.  I have a man table. Aka the kitchen table. 

I sometimes stand in hardware stores looking at all the storage equipment, and building a well organised man cave in my head. Is that weird? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Is that weird? 

If it is, then we are both weird 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I took my TL-01B/HBX Bonzer out. I wrecked the Bonzer a while back so made a hybrid out of that one and another one I already had. I had an absolutely great time chucking it about, kicking up dust etc. Got two packs through it and then the front gearbox started grinding like you wouldn't believe. Not sure what happened there! The chassis is a new Tamiya one and the gears were all Tamiya too. It's fully ballraced and I made sure the gear shafts were all firmly in place so it can't be that old problem of the shafts spinning and turning the holes they sit in oval.

I'll have to open her up and see what happened. 

No real biggie though, gears are cheap and I had a real blast with it today. It's one of those platforms that strikes a decent compromise between on road handling and off road ability. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, nowinaminute said:

I took my TL-01B/HBX Bonzer out. I wrecked the Bonzer a while back so made a hybrid out of that one and another one I already had. I had an absolutely great time chucking it about, kicking up dust etc. Got two packs through it and then the front gearbox started grinding like you wouldn't believe. Not sure what happened there! The chassis is a new Tamiya one and the gears were all Tamiya too. It's fully ballraced and I made sure the gear shafts were all firmly in place so it can't be that old problem of the shafts spinning and turning the holes they sit in oval.

I'll have to open her up and see what happened. 

No real biggie though, gears are cheap and I had a real blast with it today. It's one of those platforms that strikes a decent compromise between on road handling and off road ability. 

After experiencing the colossal Juggernaut 1 failure, I'm always wary of the bevel gears.  Since they are pot-metal gears, I wonder if Tamiya couldn't make spiral bevel gears just as easily for extra strength...

Whatever the case might be, I hope it's a minor problem!  

Steering servo and rods installed, some Novak and Oakley decals arrived 😊 

839fad3fe92f369519b2bd0dcef7b40c.jpg

97388c216ea542679755e51a65378696.jpg

17da87b7e84cdc2cc808c295889145d0.jpg

• Like 4

Had some practice on track today with my TT01 and M03. The TT01 is a great car but the little M is so much more fun!!! Plenty of battle scars on the beasties but the racing is always very close in our Tamiya class!

33066118_10155653304186158_8430607196697395200_n.jpg

• Like 2

Pulled all the running or almost running cars out and had a think about future directions. I need to cut down or use more.

I have another two WT-01s and a Cc01 stashed and unfinished and a Hornet and Rising Fighter in the loft as well

2018-05-20_03-58-11

My main problem is the big field we used to bash on is under dispute and the council no longer cut it short. The “land owner” cuts it occasionally but very rough so no good for driving on. I took my mower out to cut a track but it was still not great. I need a plan b and less cars

2018-05-20_03-59-33

• Like 1

Yesterday I took my GrassHornet to the park to run it and see what the temps of motor and esc felt like(don't have a temp gun). They stayed cool to the touch, which surprised me as I thought the motor would at least get warm. That was running a 20T pinion, so today I switched to a 21T pinion and ran it hard in grass and dirt with a whole lot of full throttle. It barely gets warm, but it's getting to powerful for the old suspension design to handle. Every bump in the grass sends the rear end bouncing around, making it difficult to keep it on track in the direction you want. The motor mount allows up to a 23T pinion, so at some point I will probably get a 22 & 23T, but for now I'm happy.

I have gone through half the tread of a pair of hornet tires in 2 days, I can see this brushless swap is going to cost me some cash in tires! 😈🤘

On 5/19/2018 at 2:45 PM, ALEXKYRIAK said:

V jealous.You’ll have to do a build thread on it...! 

I don’t have a man cave, I wish I did.  I have a man table. Aka the kitchen table. 

I sometimes stand in hardware stores looking at all the storage equipment, and building a well organised man cave in my head. Is that weird? 

There will be some pictures uploaded as I go along. 

No that is not weird, I do that all the time with how I want my garage to be :)