Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not today but just yesterday I got to clean & reorganize my lil workbench outside :D

coleccion-botellas-perfumes-dior-armani-yves-saintl-givenchy-D_NQ_NP_941028-MLC27407266409_052018-F.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Been tinkering with my TXT-2.

Replaced the shocks that came on it with a set of TXT-2 aluminium shocks.

r-12UgRl9nHhA2ERr72cnoL2TAsfwbSqNB6mEOhl

Mounted a single Speed Passion 13.5 MMM brushless motor and covered the other motor mount hole with a lexan cover from eBay.

JeQm3P8zrKgArv5WoyudD4YuxSz51ukZweoMN3R-

Next job is to mount the rest of the electrics but I need a couple of servo extensions as the leads on the servos aren't long enough to reach.

• Like 5

Not today but last night at the track I managed to reverse the battery connections on my Grasshopper 2 and fry the tble-02 esc so after a quick rummage through my pit box I found an old hobbywing 1060 and an 18 tooth tamiya pinion. In a moment of "what's the worst that could happen?" I installed the mint technigold that I'd earmarked for the bigwig and threw it down on the track. I gave it a squirt of power and it simultaneously spun the rear wheels and lifted the front end. Now the grasshopper isn't exactly the best handling car tamiya has ever produced and the combination of lipo power and technigold motor kinda overwhelmed the chassis and made it a bit of a handful around the tight indoor track but I think it's going to be an absolute hoot to throw around a nice empty field. 

• Haha 2

My metal roof rack/fog bar came in today! Super duper happy!

Going to cut the mounting points off, since they don't fit. But black zip ties will secure it perfectly. Need to wire it up to the Rx when I get back home this evening. 

32a013f98ac656e1c4cc1961dea91b53.jpg
8d7f8ddd6de75ee6a7e18f1a96971bca.jpg

• Like 3

Told Mrs SCN that I was going out to do some work on the "rockery" that I've been building and proceeded to test out my project cc-01 on the rocks just to see what work I still have to do. 

20180522_203959crop.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Been tinkering with my TXT-2.

Replaced the shocks that came on it with a set of TXT-2 aluminium shocks.

r-12UgRl9nHhA2ERr72cnoL2TAsfwbSqNB6mEOhl

Mounted a single Speed Passion 13.5 MMM brushless motor and covered the other motor mount hole with a lexan cover from eBay.

JeQm3P8zrKgArv5WoyudD4YuxSz51ukZweoMN3R-

Next job is to mount the rest of the electrics but I need a couple of servo extensions as the leads on the servos aren't long enough to reach.

Have you driven it yet? How is the torque and top end with the 13.5? I would like to go brushless eventually

28 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

Have you driven it yet? How is the torque and top end with the 13.5? I would like to go brushless eventually

No not yet. It didn't have a motor until today and I still need to solder up the motor connectors and fitva battery connector to the ESC. As well as mount servos, ESC and receiver.

All being well i'll be able to get the bulk of that done tomorrow, then I'll just be waiting for some servo extensions to arrive.

Finally got my DT03 back up and running. It's been a right saga. 3300 mAh nimh battery now has quite short run times with the 8.5 motor. Decided to dip my toe in the lipo pond. Got that and immediately fried the hobbywing copy eBay special ESC. *****s! Got a refund though which is good. Bought sensorless ESC because I'm an idiot. Finally got a Quicrun bl120 sensored ESC which the lovely people at modelsport put some wires and a plug on for me. Hooked it all up today and plugged in the lipo. No fires! That's a start. Quick run in the garden. Wheelies! Lipo really is quite a step from nimh. 

Popped to local park and low and behold freshly mowed with piles of dry cut grass all over. Cue hilarious spraying of grass cuttings everywhere and general hooning about. Lovely.

20180522_195725

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NWarty said:

My metal roof rack/fog bar came in today! Super duper happy!

Going to cut the mounting points off, since they don't fit. But black zip ties will secure it perfectly. Need to wire it up to the Rx when I get back home this evening. 

32a013f98ac656e1c4cc1961dea91b53.jpg
8d7f8ddd6de75ee6a7e18f1a96971bca.jpg

Looks great! If those grates on the lights just snap on, I would put a touch of super glue on them. I took my FAV to the park the other day, and the next morning that one of them had fallen off. I went back and searched the grass but couldn't find it. Now the my lightbar looks funny with one grate missing.

As well as tinkering with the TXT-2 today, this evening I spent just shy of 2 hours stripping down my, recently bought, Avante 2001.

It is filthy but fortunately most things seem ok. It needs a bumper but other than that it all seems ok.

A few screws are wrong - too long mainly - and a few are a bit mangled and were a struggle to get out.

I've got a stainless screw set for the Egress - couldn't find one for a 2001 - so hopefully that will provide the right size screws.

28 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

Looks great! If those grates on the lights just snap on, I would put a touch of super glue on them. I took my FAV to the park the other day, and the next morning that one of them had fallen off. I went back and searched the grass but couldn't find it. Now the my lightbar looks funny with one grate missing.

Biz,

Thanks! The entire cage is metal so it looks like they're soldered on, then a thick type of paint applied. It's a bit heavy, but no too concerned since it's pretty squat. But I probably need a little dab of super glue on the screws going into the light housings. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

Continued working on re-organazing my garage workshop.  I'm gaining, but still more work to do! 

Untitled by Joe, on Flickr

Untitled by Joe, on Flickr

PP Rat Bones and Thrasher decals. Right on B)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Finally got my DT03 back up and running. It's been a right saga. 3300 mAh nimh battery now has quite short run times with the 8.5 motor. Decided to dip my toe in the lipo pond. Got that and immediately fried the hobbywing copy eBay special ESC. *****s! Got a refund though which is good. Bought sensorless ESC because I'm an idiot. Finally got a Quicrun bl120 sensored ESC which the lovely people at modelsport put some wires and a plug on for me. Hooked it all up today and plugged in the lipo. No fires! That's a start. Quick run in the garden. Wheelies! Lipo really is quite a step from nimh. 

Popped to local park and low and behold freshly mowed with piles of dry cut grass all over. Cue hilarious spraying of grass cuttings everywhere and general hooning about. Lovely.

20180522_195725

Next step could be fitting some fine mesh over the top of that lovely new esc’s fan to stop grass getting in and blocking it which could overheat it eventually... the Mrs’s Stockings would do although it seems a waste!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Next step could be fitting some fine mesh over the top of that lovely new esc’s fan to stop grass getting in and blocking it which could overheat it eventually... the Mrs’s Stockings would do although it seems a waste!

Cheers. I got a couple of little bits in there so I will definitely find something to cover it. It's not a problem on the other shells I have because it will be more enclosed. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NWarty said:

PP Rat Bones and Thrasher decals. Right on B)

Good eye!  I like my skateboarding like I like my RC cars:  1980s style!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Bought sensorless ESC because I'm an idiot.

You're not alone.  I did the same thing a couple weeks ago.  Bought a 45 dollar Hobbywing ESC and didn't realize it was sensorless, which is useless to me. Oh well...

1 hour ago, 78Triumph said:

You're not alone.  I did the same thing a couple weeks ago.  Bought a 45 dollar Hobbywing ESC and didn't realize it was sensorless, which is useless to me. Oh well...

I am a double idiot because I soldered it before realising making it unreturnable. Modelsport were fine about swapping the unused one.

Anyone want a cheap EZRUN 60A SL ESC? I'm an idiot tax already applied 😉

4 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

Good eye!  I like my skateboarding like I like my RC cars:  1980s style!

Nice. I just got a Bones Brigade shirt several weeks ago. 

• Like 1

Some more work on the TXT-2 today.

I started out by swapping the random Traxxas servo that it came with and replacing it with one of the Trackstar servos I got for the job.

While I was at it I found that the steering knuckles were mounted upside down, on the wrong sides. When swapping them over I also found some washers missing from the top and bottom of each knuckle. I don't have any the right size and couldn't find any Tamiya ones anywhere so I've ordered some generic ones that I hope will fit.

I'd intended to fit the rear servo as well but realised I didn't have the servo arm. I'd thought the original servo had the right arm fitted and had obtained another to use at the rear. Turned out it wasn't the right one so I had to use the one I'd got, meaning I had to order another.

As I couldn't fit the rear servo I thought that, seeing as I'd found issues at the front, I would strip the rear down and check it so it was ready for when I can mount the servo. I found the exact same issues as the front, so swapped the knuckles the same way.

Then I soldered and mounted up the ESC and receiver. It turned out the lead from the front servo was long enough to reach the receiver. That meant I could take it for a drive :D

18 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

I have now, only slightly though.

I didn't have a fully charged pack but grabbed a part charged NiMH from my boys Lunchbox.

First impressions were:

it steers (front only) like an oil tanker.

It was also pretty slow but as I said it was a part charged battery (charged a couple of weeks ago at that). It's also a new ESC and I haven't done anything other than set the throttle range.

I only had a couple of minutes running as I was testing it in the street and, with the lack of steering, didn't want to get caught out if a car came along.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

Some more work on the TXT-2 today.

I started out by swapping the random Traxxas servo that it came with and replacing it with one of the Trackstar servos I got for the job.

While I was at it I found that the steering knuckles were mounted upside down, on the wrong sides. When swapping them over I also found some washers missing from the top and bottom of each knuckle. I don't have any the right size and couldn't find any Tamiya ones anywhere so I've ordered some generic ones that I hope will fit.

I'd intended to fit the rear servo as well but realised I didn't have the servo arm. I'd thought the original servo had the right arm fitted and had obtained another to use at the rear. Turned out it wasn't the right one so I had to use the one I'd got, meaning I had to order another.

As I couldn't fit the rear servo I thought that, seeing as I'd found issues at the front, I would strip the rear down and check it so it was ready for when I can mount the servo. I found the exact same issues as the front, so swapped the knuckles the same way.

Then I soldered and mounted up the ESC and receiver. It turned out the lead from the front servo was long enough to reach the receiver. That meant I could take it for a drive :D

I have now, only slightly though.

I didn't have a fully charged pack but grabbed a part charged NiMH from my boys Lunchbox.

First impressions were:

it steers (front only) like an oil tanker.

It was also pretty slow but as I said it was a part charged battery (charged a couple of weeks ago at that). It's also a new ESC and I haven't done anything other than set the throttle range.

I only had a couple of minutes running as I was testing it in the street and, with the lack of steering, didn't want to get caught out if a car came along.

I only have the front steering hooked up mostly because of high speed turns 4ws it may flip. The steering isnt as bad as tou say on mine, could it be a weak servo with not enough torque? I have a savox high torque metal gear in mine and does do the job. I think once i add clod tires it may be a problem though 

2 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

I only have the front steering hooked up mostly because of high speed turns 4ws it may flip. The steering isnt as bad as tou say on mine, could it be a weak servo with not enough torque? I have a savox high torque metal gear in mine and does do the job. I think once i add clod tires it may be a problem though 

The servo is rated at 21kg. Even if it doesn't quite reach that it shouldn't be too far off. So I don't think it's the servo.

It does have the Clod tyres and those heavy aluminium wheels probably don't help.

There are also some wheel alignment issues, the front toes in slightly and the rear toes out, that likely doesn't help either.

Hit the beach with my Nikko MT with Granddad Stinky spec gearbox.

For some reason the power seemed to fade away the longer I ran it, even though I put a big 550 motor in beforehand to cope with the tough conditons.

All was revealed when I went to pack up. You know that feeling when you're accustomed to the weight of something and then it doesn't weigh what you expect? I nearly fell over when I went to pick it up!

Each rear tyre was packed solid with sand and they're not exactly small tyres! It weighed twice what it usually does. No wonder the motor was struggling! 

I got some nice photos and video which I will post up later. Shame the top speed was down to about 1mph when I did the video but oh well! I thought it was unusually obedient to gravity!

Cracking on with Cat K2, what an absolute pleasure to build. The quality, fit and finish of the parts is exemplary. Hopefully do some more over the weekend. 

DSC_0022.JPG

• Like 7