Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:33 PM, i_am_scarecrow said:

That looks awesome! Where did you find the repro shell?

An eBay seller in Japan, I had to ask for postage costs, it worked out around £35 and came with the Japanese 'Sonic the Hedgehog' decal set haha.. needless to say I didn't use those stickers other than the 'Camel' as the MCI Racing set didn't have them.

I'll find the seller if you like, my brother bought a 1/10 Jordan 191 shell too for his F104W and it's turned out pretty good.

• Like 1

Got my old TRG front spoiler this afternoon, since this is a conversion from a F103 I did not have this spoiler on this F104 front end. Wheels couldnt turn properly.

needed to cut a little bit of the spoiler, not produ of it.

but my whole idea was that this looks more like a Formula 3 from the millenium years 2000, not like a real F1 😃

narrow width, wide body, smaller, less dramatic spoilers. I dont know, do people see what I see 😁

More bodies are to come, me and a friend from our club, have dedicated this hobby to F1s, he has also a standard f103 and I found him days ago a F104 pro v2, and I am thinking to buy the lower chassis plate and upper deck from the aniversary edition and diferent t bar, I could build a standard f103 from all the parts I have left from this one, since on this every thing was changes from the F103GT motor mount, front arms F104, carbon rear axle, F104 diff, 0.4 spur, TRF spring, other TRF blue parts... I mean such a waste of money but I get another F103 out of it. So there will be realistic F1 builds. 😎

FC8A4EBB-F0CA-49F6-9188-F93E80A34A86.jpeg

E357D9E1-1534-4672-A5D5-CAC628C69BAA.jpeg

• Like 1

Here is my Dancing Rider I have just finished except for painting Willy.  I am going to paint the helmet the same color as the body, Spatzstik candy root beer.  I installed front led lights and the rear red lights flash.  I put on a pair of hpi vintage rear wheels and tires.  If I decide to use those I will paint the front wheel to match as close as I can. 

2018-06-28_12-08-592018-06-28_12-11-462018-06-28_12-11-262018-06-28_12-10-43

2018-06-28_12-11-03

• Like 4

Soldered and wired in the replacement speedo for the K1. Made a connector with a Deans plug so that I don't short this one! 

DSC_0033.JPG

• Like 4

Good choice, I also prefer deans connector.

I found out that I soldered the motor wires and esc on my DF-02, the wrong way around. Lucky this does not occur as damage, the motor is turning the other way around.

How would I know... well the LRP Runner Plus Revers esc keeps the motor spining for a certain amount of time in reverse. Thats what happens when the car is going forward. :o :rolleyes:

• Confused 1

So grease and ESCs turned up. The sharp eyed amongst you will have noticed the lower arm on the DF-02 in my last post is on back to front, probably because I was messing around spacing them out and trying to get the U clip back in.

So I pulled the whole lot off and re-assembled and this time arms, washers and clip all went together first time! result!

If you recall, the DF-02 had gash dampers, so I bought the DT-03 ho up kit (also listed for the DF-02) and the result was... well, awful. The front springs were so weak there was no rebound whatsoever and the back was also way too soft. On the back I ended up using all the spring spacers I could lay my hands on and used the innermost lower mount:

TTljKztl.jpg

On the front rather more drastic action was needed. The original front dampers were the fake type that are filled with goo and have no piston inside, they had the original rear springs on them, so I reinstalled those springs: 

aNvefiRl.jpg

Looks a bit naff, but I at least have some suspension now. Pretty sure this car was original an RTR s it had a Tamiya servo. I added a flysky fs-gr3c receiver and etronix ESC and the car runs.. Not sure the motor is that great - I actually had it smoking when I first got the car going, but seems to have settled down. I know the previous owner just threw the motor in it to sell, I had to fit bullet connectors to it, so pretty sure its just whatever he had laying around.

The car has 2.2" wheels on it, the tyres were partially glued (not very well) and inside it had foams that were sopping wet. Hot water released the glue but the tyres seem a bit big for the wheels and the "sidewall" is very soft, in the second picture below I pulled the tyre off by just pushing a little with my thumb. You can mount the tyre with two fingers by just pushing the wheel in to the tyre - they are very loose and unsurprisingly come off pretty quickly if you drive the car on grass, gravel or tarmac. Not sure if I should get new tyres or wheels or both ? Are 2.2" tyres standard widths ? All a bit new to me..

tBY3EDol.jpg

uU4NHfBl.jpg

The Monster Beetle is also up and running, the tyres slip inside the wheels terribly, so they need gluing, I think I will try the elastic band trick first. Anyone got an original or re-re body they want rid of ? the green clashes with the red chassis a bit!

Same receiver & esc as the DF-02. I avoided the Hobbywing 1060 that I've used before because they are a bit stingy on the wire lengths, which meant it'd be quite a stretch in the MB for the motor, the switch would have to go somewhere off and they don't provide mounting holes in the switch either. Shame, because I think the 1060 is a great little ESC. The Etronix has a mountable switch and the wires are much longer but the ESC itself is quite big. Anyway, here it is:

NEkfPvul.jpg

• Like 2

Cast my votes for the Retro Competition on the main site. Tough choosing, really good entries. Good luck to all who put in 👍🏻

On 6/27/2018 at 6:49 PM, Matt_G40 said:

An eBay seller in Japan, I had to ask for postage costs, it worked out around £35 and came with the Japanese 'Sonic the Hedgehog' decal set haha.. needless to say I didn't use those stickers other than the 'Camel' as the MCI Racing set didn't have them.

I'll find the seller if you like, my brother bought a 1/10 Jordan 191 shell too for his F104W and it's turned out pretty good.

Yes please matey!!!

Making a meal of step 12 of the Asterion build. Not helped by decidIng to shim KK3 and KK5 where they meet KK4. Hoping to finish this step and step 13 this evening.

6BD05328-78D8-4E17-893F-146D0DEECF75.th.

How does this photo display for you? Trying out a new hosting facility 😉

• Like 1

@Mark_C The kit springs for the DT03 are too soft for that so I am not surprised you have struggled with a 4wd. I can highly recommend 53927 DF03 setting spring set for getting the setup sorted. You get 3 sets of springs and I ended up using the others on some of my other cars as they fit any CVA mini/short set of shocks. 

• Like 1

Not much here today, mowed my track again. We've had a heap of rain lately so its nice and muddy, should be a laugh tomorrow if the rain stays away. Ordered diff oil and a new diff for the TA07 so I can have 2 rear diffs made up and can try out different weight oil back to back. Hopefully that is here before the next race meet.

My new touring car body is all ready to mask and paint as well, just need some warmer weather to paint in. I'm looking forward to this one, the Bittydesign MC10 is a cool looking body for a race blob

• Like 2

Fitted a mini voltmeter to the dash in my Scx10ii, now I can see the batteries condition at a glance and should avoid the risk of hitting the low voltage cutout. 

IMG-20180628-WA0018_PerfectlyClear.jpg

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Supercoolnothing said:

Fitted a mini voltmeter to the dash in my Scx10ii, now I can see the batteries condition at a glance and should avoid the risk of hitting the low voltage cutout. 

That's an awesome idea. A great fit for the interior. Tempting me to try that, as the cheap meters I use are a bit cumbersome.

23 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

That's an awesome idea. A great fit for the interior. Tempting me to try that, as the cheap meters I use are a bit cumbersome.

If I remember rightly the voltmeter was only a fiver on fleabay. I just marked up the size of the display on the rear of the interior, cut the hole and stuck it in place with hot glue. It's wired directly to the battery connection with a deans plug in the middle so if I ever have to completely remove the body for c g changing batteries etc it's not going to be a problem. 

• Like 1

Solderd the motor wires correct now and...

Did not have a DF02 antena holder.

tool one from the Tamiya F104 parts.

took a screw and took of the head from the screw and screwd the f104 antena holder on it.

looks legit and now I can say finally it is a RTR. :)

smwmlz.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Mark_C The kit springs for the DT03 are too soft for that so I am not surprised you have struggled with a 4wd. I can highly recommend 53927 DF03 setting spring set for getting the setup sorted. You get 3 sets of springs and I ended up using the others on some of my other cars as they fit any CVA mini/short set of shocks. 

Thanks, I see that kit on ebay for about £12 all in, might go that way. Any idea on tyre widths for 2.2" wheels ? are they all the same ?

2 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

Thanks, I see that kit on ebay for about £12 all in, might go that way. Any idea on tyre widths for 2.2" wheels ? are they all the same ?

Well worth it. I paid £16 for mine and still consider it good value. 

2.2" buggy tyres are standardised widths for rear and front, with front being a touch narrower. What surface do you generally run on?

Grass and gravel I guess. Its hard to show in photos but the tyres just seem too big, they just don't fit on the rims that well. I just found them (or similar) on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-5-Spoke-Green-Wheels-Full-Spike-Tyres-1-10th-4WD-Buggy-Car-RC-PRE-GLUED/302343572230?hash=item466514cb06:g:gIYAAOSwjk9ZOQ~E so 42mm and 34mm if I stick with those wheels I guess. 

Thanks, the rims have a fair bit of gravel rash anyway, so may replace them.

Got home from work last night and saw the konghead sitting there so decided to take it for a spin, the sport tuned in it started making that horrible sound that sounds like the brass bushings need oil, but it turns out its the brushes on the commutator arcing and bouncing, this motor isnt very old either...

So I took the 4000kv out of the wild one and chucked it in there... quick test at 9:30pm suggests I might need to glue the tyres :D

• Like 3

On 6/28/2018 at 12:33 AM, ncpantherfan71 said:

Here is my Dancing Rider I have just finished except for painting Willy.  I am going to paint the helmet the same color as the body, Spatzstik candy root beer.  I installed front led lights and the rear red lights flash.  I put on a pair of hpi vintage rear wheels and tires.  If I decide to use those I will paint the front wheel to match as close as I can. 

Oh, I'm loving that rear axle. At last a good-short axle to make a tractor!

Anybody knows if they are selling spares for the Dancin' Rider yet?

On 6/28/2018 at 8:06 PM, Grotty Otty said:

Soldered and wired in the replacement speedo for the K1. Made a connector with a Deans plug so that I don't short this one! 

DSC_0033.JPG

Do quite like the K2 (?) , although now really really tempted by the L1 🤔

KF2se with the leads cut to just reach.

Have done the same on the K1 with saddles, way to easy to plug in wrong when you're in a rush / talking etc.

Screenshot_20180626-012752

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grotty Otty said:

@Wooders28 Really like how much neater the install is with the correct length wire and plugs.. May have to re do mine 👍.. 

I've got the K1 with me, I'll take a pic and post that later.🖒

• Like 1