Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

What colour is that? Its stunning!

Ta muchly. As per instructions PS 16 (three light coats till fairly solid against a back light) backed with two coats of silver. Supplied with really good masks but I've already had to customise a rear window sticker as I put on the original misaligned.. I'll smoke the rear window to match the others however. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grotty Otty said:

Ta muchly. As per instructions PS 16 (three light coats till fairly solid against a back light) backed with two coats of silver. Supplied with really good masks but I've already had to customise a rear window sticker as I put on the original misaligned.. I'll smoke the rear window to match the others however. 

Thankyou - it must be the silver that gives it the depth of colour. I have used ps-16 before but backed with white and it didnt look anywhere near as nice as that. I am going to be building an avante  shortly and painting it ps-16 so will try and get some tins of ps silver too.

49 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Thankyou - it must be the silver that gives it the depth of colour. I have used ps-16 before but backed with white and it didnt look anywhere near as nice as that. I am going to be building an avante  shortly and painting it ps-16 so will try and get some tins of ps silver too.

I did my Avante exactly as I did this one then backed the silver with black. Pic in this thread. 

Fitted some alloy front knuckles to my TB03

pF3ZPdu.jpg

And tightened up the rear ball diff to stop it squeeling as it was too loose... test run soon.

hX3LRHe.jpg

5jmaeLT.jpg

• Like 3

Got the brushless setup installed in my TF runner and changed steering servo.  Just wanted to test run the car before I take it apart for a rebuild. Result

IMG_20180829_132500_zpsi372r0c5.jpg

Will need to change some parts during the rebuild 😜

I have a lpr 8.5t motor, but I must say that I'm not satisfied with it, it will have to go into another car. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Asterion build: Steps 22 to 26 completed. No photos in the middle as I had my four year old helper on my lap. 

DE198F69-432D-41AE-8084-6B668FCE37AC.jpg

• Like 6

Ordered a few bits. Mini Spike 2" fronts for the Thunder Dragon, steel pinion for Ultra G and some 400cst shock oil. Had a play with the 3 gear laydown gearbox design I have on CAD for the TRF211 tub. I think it's ready, but need to get hold of some 201/211 steering parts and some small bore shock bodies before going ahead. They are proving hard to track down for sensible money and I don't really want to strip the DN01 to build this. Also had a quick look at putting together an extra DT03 from all my parts leftover from my current 03, but handful of parts cost more than a whole kit. Bit annoying as if would be nice to use these spares without ending up with another massive pile of spares.

The never ending quest for bits eh?!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Asterion build: Steps 22 to 26 completed. No photos in the middle as I had my four year old helper on my lap. 

DE198F69-432D-41AE-8084-6B668FCE37AC.jpg

4 steps completed with a laptop helper, good going, mine would’ve lost all the screws on the floor with her constant fiddling and stuck pages 12-13 together with the tyre glue :(

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

And the chassis is nearly complete -

E831ABC8-8E59-4C0C-A9EE-D2BA876C5562.jpg

Added a 1060 ESC from my stash. Forgot the servo so assembled the mounts and part screwed them to the chassis. Needs rear body mounts and the battery door screwed in and that is about it!

Wheels are a little wobbly. Why are the wheels on all my cars wobbly?

• Like 5

Went to my LHS today to buy some balsa wood.  The shop that I have been scathing of in the past as they are nothing like they were back in the 90s.  I may have been a bit unfair after today's experience.  They had a really helpful guy who knew all about balsa modelling so gave me a lot of help, and it turns out he races at my onroad club too, but indoors whereas I run outdoors.  And he races a TRF419 so is clearly cool.

Picked up 3 sheets of balsa and the dope stuff that waterproofs it and some glue.  If the boat actually works then I'll order the propshaft, rudders etc to go with it.  I still need to resize the plans, they are just a bit small at the moment which doesn't matter, it just means scaling down other measurements, or resizing them which just means using my photocopier to make them slightly larger.

I also need to work out whether I can just run a TBLE-02S and 540 type motor, or whether I need to order boat stuff.

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, Superluminal said:

Today I attempted to apply the decals to my re re kyosho optima. I have ensentially turned 40 quids worth of decals into wrinkly bubbled rubbish.

I wish now that i had masked and painted the blue and yellow sections as i cant believe for a second its feasible to make a nice job of combining multiple decal pieces to form a solid colour.

Live and learn...

You are not alone.  I feel your pain.  I'm tempted to buy another body shell and paint it as you described.  The sticker sheet does have separate decals for the logo sponsor stickers - only trouble is finding a lexan paint color to match the boxart.  Tamiya PS paints don't quite match up. 

Disassembled, cleaned and reassembled better the rear ball diff of my Egress. A thread on here helped me realise that it wasnt normal behaviour to slip like that. Sooooo much better now. 

To compare, I got my Avante running. I don’t recall that having an issue, but that was worse! All the more confusing with the gear front and rear diffs. A bit of reading later, and I’ve the centre diff out for a service. I think I’d taken the ‘don’t over tighten’ instruction too literally. Much tighter now, and seemingly much better. 

Ready for a comparison run tomorrow, interested in seeing he jumping difference with the torque splitter in the Egress. 

Fitted the F104 wheels to the TRF102 to see how high it now sits. I need to drop about 5mm all around, which is obviously easy enough given the car was designed for these wheels. Now I know how thick the adapter needs to be to keep the F103 front end on it.

Also started cutting balsa. This is a project for my 5yo son so i'm trying to get him to do as much as possible. You can see how this ends with a sharp knife...

Jamie, put down the knife.

**reaches for something 

Sorry dad **eyes welling up

At least a tiny bit of blood made it seem like a big deal and he now doesn't pick up the knife until told to. And the plaster on my thumb made sticking pins in much easier (using pins to hold the templates onto the wood as can't be @#^÷$& finding the right weak contact adhesive despite that sounding amazing )

Only got a few pieces cut out tonight but you can at least see a boat shape (especially since some of them are actually the top of the boat). This will be a long project, I think it would be a nice 5 hour project if I did it myself.

• Like 3

Here's my Kyosho Optima Mid. I built it 30 years ago and it's never been disassembled. In fact I don't think it's ever been cleaned! It didn't see nearly as much action as my Falcon, but I don't think a single part has ever broken on it. Such a great car, the gold shocks and belt drive are my favorite things about it.The body is original and I'm sure I painted it black with leftover Falcon paint back in the day. I've decided to honor it with some fresh MCI decals and pin spike tires. Will probably drive it once or twice, but spare parts are hard to find and crazy expensive.

20180830_220221_resized.jpg.2b70ba48d770f34a68067ba7e012705d.jpg

20180831_001409_resized.thumb.jpg.23b797489a3d5580bdb386d2e7b9f2a0.jpg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Fitted the F104 wheels to the TRF102 to see how high it now sits. I need to drop about 5mm all around, which is obviously easy enough given the car was designed for these wheels. Now I know how thick the adapter needs to be to keep the F103 front end on it.

Also started cutting balsa. This is a project for my 5yo son so i'm trying to get him to do as much as possible. You can see how this ends with a sharp knife...

**reaches for something 

Sorry dad **eyes welling up

At least a tiny bit of blood made it seem like a big deal and he now doesn't pick up the knife until told to. And the plaster on my thumb made sticking pins in much easier (using pins to hold the templates onto the wood as can't be @#^÷$& finding the right weak contact adhesive despite that sounding amazing )

Only got a few pieces cut out tonight but you can at least see a boat shape (especially since some of them are actually the top of the boat). This will be a long project, I think it would be a nice 5 hour project if I did it myself.

Poor little tyke, I’m sure he learned a valuable lesson... that when Daddy says something 3 times it’s serious! ( You presumably didn’t give him the raised eyebrow 🤨 on the third instruction?!)

This boat sounds mental.... in a good way, I’m sure some pics during the build won’t go amiss, and to keep it Tamiya related chuck a decal on the side... hull, aft, port side or Stern... try being more stern with the 5 year old and he won’t keep taking the shiver me timbers... I’m a land lubber you can tell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Poor little tyke, I’m sure he learned a valuable lesson... that when Daddy says something 3 times it’s serious! ( You presumably didn’t give him the raised eyebrow 🤨 on the third instruction?!)

This boat sounds mental.... in a good way, I’m sure some pics during the build won’t go amiss, and to keep it Tamiya related chuck a decal on the side... hull, aft, port side or Stern... try being more stern with the 5 year old and he won’t keep taking the shiver me timbers... I’m a land lubber you can tell.

I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible so will use car electronics, which means a TBLE-02S, that makes it a tamiya right? Maybe even a kit silvercan as well, so really it'll be a Boomerang since thats the likely donor car.

I'll get some pics along the way to prove Jamie did some of it and it wasn't just my project...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DrewZ said:

Here's my Kyosho Optima Mid. I built it 30 years ago and it's never been disassembled. In fact I don't think it's ever been cleaned! It didn't see nearly as much action as my Falcon, but I don't think a single part has ever broken on it. Such a great car, the gold shocks and belt drive are my favorite things about it.The body is original and I'm sure I painted it black with leftover Falcon paint back in the day. I've decided to honor it with some fresh MCI decals and pin spike tires. Will probably drive it once or twice, but spare parts are hard to find and crazy expensive.

20180830_220221_resized.jpg.2b70ba48d770f34a68067ba7e012705d.jpg

20180831_001409_resized.thumb.jpg.23b797489a3d5580bdb386d2e7b9f2a0.jpg

That looks brilliant with the decals on it! 

I don't know what constitutes a good Friday evening where you are, but this was pretty good for an hour of mine tonight!

2018-08-31_08-21-00

Couple of RC cars, big empty closed trimmed grass park, and a bag full of tools, springs, wheels and tyres. Happy days! 

Tried some different setups on Ultra G. Some stiffer front springs, but none worked as well as the really soft springs from the CVA kit. Food to know though. 

I got some Mini Spike 2" fronts for the Thunder Dragon. Should have done this ages ago. Much nicer to handle than any combination of trimmed Block I tried. Shame, as the blocks are awesome on loose surfaces. Popped some stiffer front springs (TRF501 medium yellow) on to calm the handling down and now it's just lovely. Can't wait to run these on track next month. There's another track day coming up soon. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

That looks brilliant with the decals on it! 

Thank you! So cool that MCI lets you swap colors when ordering decals. Still not 100% sure I like the white along side the rainbow, but I hope once the wheels are painted white again it should all come together.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrewZ said:

Thank you! So cool that MCI lets you swap colors when ordering decals. Still not 100% sure I like the white along side the rainbow, but I hope once the wheels are painted white again it should all come together.

Agreed. None of my cars have box art decals. They all have custom colours. Love messing around with them. 

7 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Couple of RC cars, big empty closed trimmed grass park, and a bag full of tools, springs, wheels and tyres.

Doesn't get much better than that!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I don't know what constitutes a good Friday evening where you are, but this was pretty good for an hour of mine tonight!

2018-08-31_08-21-00

Couple of RC cars, big empty closed trimmed grass park, and a bag full of tools, springs, wheels and tyres. Happy days! 

Tried some different setups on Ultra G. Some stiffer front springs, but none worked as well as the really soft springs from the CVA kit. Food to know though. 

I got some Mini Spike 2" fronts for the Thunder Dragon. Should have done this ages ago. Much nicer to handle than any combination of trimmed Block I tried. Shame, as the blocks are awesome on loose surfaces. Popped some stiffer front springs (TRF501 medium yellow) on to calm the handling down and now it's just lovely. Can't wait to run these on track next month. There's another track day coming up soon. 

Loving the orange in that light!! :wub:

29 minutes ago, mman2005 said:

Loving the orange in that light!! :wub:

Neon carrot! It is ace watching it whizz about at dusk. The neon Super G wheels on Ultra G pop pretty well too.