Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So tonight I thought I would swap over the drive shafts, I think I am gonna keep the new chassis as a spare and update when old chassis has died! 

Didn't get lots of pics of the swap over as was keen to get it done, had to swap the drive cups over from the difs. 

X72Fiwa.jpg

NKw93qK.jpg

CFnQb1g.jpg

• Like 2

Today I fitted the front and rear gear box to my manta ray chassis. 

I started this build so my original to me manta ray doesn't get destroyed by me or my Son!

The build so far consists of....

Plastic gears

DF02 universals

Ball diff in the rear

Steel prop shaft

Top force suspension towers 

Schumacher small bore shocks

Top Force Evo turnbuckle set

The pic shows the standard manta ray tub chassis, I have a Top Force set up on the way but intend fitting a FibreLyte chassis eventually. Not sure on the electronics yet, don't want to go wild as I have other cars for that.

PS... the shocks will need proper spacers, I have reversed Top Force ones fitted at the monet! 

PPS...I have a new racecraft body coming, not sure how to paint it....fluro??

20180907_183745(1).thumb.jpg.1457bf513f09d4cee8fd20b4797461b7.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Surly by the law of averages you will have a dry day by now ;).

Or perhaps it may be worth your with building an RC Hovercraft alongside the boat then you have all weather scenario's covered?

You'd think wouldn't you. The forecast is great but I'm expecting to wake up to rain as usual.

Now you're talking, I actually saw a real hovercraft the other day. I live pretty close to the airport and it was one of their rescue ones doing a training run, that got me thinking...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I decided to change the body mounts on the TNX to proline style mounts, so here are the results.

Before

nHb9SlH.jpg

CfEhrVS.jpg

I drilled out the new mounts to snugly fit the mounting points at the right hight.

Did this for all four corners

l4WrZ8M.jpg

Mounted back on with wide headed screws

OXPr5Kk.jpg

a1TtNXN.jpg

Then put in the mounting screws

A7P81Ju.jpg

And the result a very solid fitting shell well unexpectedly happy

xjMWoYR.jpg

t9b2f6Y.jpg

• Like 6

Messed around with my XV-01 for a change.  I trimmed the front and rear splitters/air dam since a rally car wouldn't have these things.  It also keeps the nose from catching over obstacles.

29602310377_9bbacc7e99_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

29602309827_3ee8fa04f7_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

30670044348_9f3cb80849_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Then I decided I wanted to take the auxiliary lights off for the time being.  The mounts for them are metal and weigh a lot.  The front mounted motor on this car is already nose heavy so the lights don't help.  I'll probably find a different set that don't weigh as much.  I'm trying to get this car setup as user friendly as possible so I'm simplifying things.

• Like 8

Have prepped the buggies for tomorrow. I'm embarrassed to admit butbthe Ultima was filthy, hadn't come out of its box since last race day, which as you know from my constant moaning was months ago. Took an hour just to clean since I felt guilty so did a better than usual job. It had a decent service before the last meeting so just needed a clean. I pretty much just looked at the Lazer as I had cleaned it to sort the ESC out.

Done some work on the boat too. Unfortunately the waterproofing dope reacted with the filler so had to scrape most of that off and redo it. Once the dope is dry the filler doesn't react with it. I've got a few weeks to finish the hull since I ordered all the hardware from banggood which takes weeks to get here. Not long after I found one of my usual local online stores sells boat buidling stuff for really reasonable prices, good to know. It will be ready to paint in a day or so, depending on how pedantic I get.

A fantastic day here, cooked bbq breakfast which meant a beer before midday, life is good. Hard decision tonight though, watch the All Blacks thrash Argentina or the Warriors in their playoff which will be close. Or the Warriors will get thrashed.

• Like 2

Had a little bit of success with my new TT02, got it driving straight under power and no sudden movements from the servo so it didn't dart off unexpectedly anymore.

However the car park I found had speed bump which I just couldn't resist jumping..... despite the nose down attitude it was showing on the approach from medium speed...... hence one higher speed jump and the resulting roll over broke the rear gear box top cover in two places...... where the shock tower attaches both areas have snapped off,  aswell a crack at the rear of the same case,  and also lost a rear dog bone to boot..... I'll be looking for spare parts now!

0uKXXTl.jpg

LstCVsQ.jpg

KI3d4lb.jpg

Wtp2ExT.jpg

MNHmLAz.jpg

Maybe the stronger than stock  FRP rear shock tower caused this to break here, who knows.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Finished the Subaru body for my TT-02R, not perfect but really happy how it came out. First full set of lights I've installed as well. 

DSC_0018

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Had a little bit of success with my new TT02, got it driving straight under power and no sudden movements from the servo so it didn't dart off unexpectedly anymore.

However the car park I found had speed bump which I just couldn't resist jumping..... despite the nose down attitude it was showing on the approach from medium speed...... hence one higher speed jump and the resulting roll over broke the rear gear box top cover in two places...... where the shock tower attaches both areas have snapped off,  aswell a crack at the rear of the same case,  and also lost a rear dog bone to boot..... I'll be looking for spare parts now!

0uKXXTl.jpg

LstCVsQ.jpg

KI3d4lb.jpg

Wtp2ExT.jpg

MNHmLAz.jpg

Maybe the stronger than stock  FRP rear shock tower caused this to break here, who knows.

You are not alone on this one, and this made me think how many people breake something on a rc car all over earth :)

On my last TA05 IFS run, I broke  the right C hub and knuckle. Cant tell much about sway bar handling, since this happend, but first impressions were good, I need to play with it a bit.

will make an order soon, already have traced down all the bits for my TA05 and a bit for the F104GT mini build.

2vammuw.jpg

Did also glue Hudy Stardish rims with Pit Shimizu slick tires. Had a run with the xray and new tires on green asphalt, amazing handling, Cant wait to put a 6,5T or similar in it. 

American muscle, Dodge Stratus and my friends pontiac, a team associated TC5, both bushed on 2s lipo.

k1exw2.jpg23k53mc.jpg

The savox servo is great, best ever had. Fast smooth response in combination with the sanwa TX. Will probably go for a trackstar esc combo, once I decide and catch time for it.

• Like 2

@Fabia130vRS if I drove more often then it would surely result in more breakages, it’s a hard impulse to resist pushing cars and your driving skills to and past their limits... but I’m surprised this TT02 of mine broke like that as according to its reputation for being sturdy it should’ve brushed it off.

I guess it’s not meant to suffer many roll overs and I was just unlucky this time with the FRP shock tower in place.

I like the Pontiac shell, I have an unpainted one sitting in my cupboard waiting to be used ;)

Yep every time we break stuff it’s time to dig out the manual to identify the part and then hunt for replacement or research for upgrade.. all part of the fun ;)

• Like 2

Had a great day racing today.

The motor in the Lazer came off at 35deg so I could go up a pinion which made all the difference. For this first time with this track layout I could clear the double doubles as doubles and also the tabletop. That is a section of 3 jumps which in the past, and in the Ultima, I took the first doubles as singles then could take the next double if I got the inside line, and then had to take the tabletop really slow. I also cleared another double for the first time ever too, so the car is now as fast as the fastest in stock class. Frustratingly I was slower though as I was having to learn the best lines etc for the track, and finished up a lap down compared to my Ultima times which is much slower. Still got 6th I think so others must've been having a bad day too, fastest lap was about 44sec which is slow for 4wd stock buggy. I was kore consistent than the 5 drivers behind me.

The Ultima started off painful, it had no rear grip on some corners and no steering on others which is impossible to fix with setup. I changed rear tyres to less agressive ones and talked to another guy and got some tips on better lines. I dropped my fastest lap by 6secs, which was a reflection of how bad the first round was, and also how well the car was running by the end. I was 42sec and the fastest 2wd mod guys were 38sec so I'm pretty happy with that. Still got a lot to go but definitely made improvements throughout the day. Think I ended up 8th of 13 which isn't too bad.

The Trackstar motor in the Ultima is on its way out. It had an intermittent fault which I found was the B motor terminal, its loose. So now, do I try to fix it, put the other Trackstar motor in or upgrade to another Orca motor...I mentioned the faulty bit to my wife but not the upgrade bit...yet

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Today I finished the Dual Hunter I have had in pieces in a box for ages. While the chassis build was very simple, I needed the most time for the body. As I really hated the box art, I wanted to go for something different and after watching quite a few videos on body masking and painting by a guy named Hemistorm I did this:

Dual Hunter

Dual Hunter

Dual Hunter

I learnt quite a lot doing this:

Using liquid mask is great, but you need THICK coats, so it's easier to peel off afterwards.

Thinner coats of paint are better.

Really sharp xacto for cutting, but low pressure, or the lexan scratches easily!

Really happy with this bit:

Dual Hunter

• Like 11

It's been an unusually productive day for me. If you can consider bu**ering about with toy cars all day productive.  

I started out with my TL-0B MT that used to be an HBX Bonzer but has more Tamiya parts than HBX now. The last time I took it out one of the gears at the front started slipping. I was a little worried that a bearing had started spinning on the shaft, caused the shaft to heat up and melted the plastic a little so the whole shaft had shifted but there was no evidence of that. I think the issue may have been a combination of Tamiya and HBX grears with the very slightly difference tolerances causing a loose mesh. It's all back together now and seems to work fine.

Next I did a bit more work on the shell for my Nikko Midnight Crusher, the previous owner decided to spray gold and silver paint over it as a child so I'm now trying to get the stuff off without ruining the decals which are miraculously intact. These twin motor 1/10 Hulix trucks are rare as hens teeth here so I'm really trying to keep the looks of it intact even if I upgrade the running gear.

After I got bored of that I moved onto another Nikko 1/10 Hilux, this time a RWD Scorpion. Also hard to get hold of over here. I recently spotted a bargain so snapped it up. This one is in very good condition and just needed about an inch of dust cleaning off. Half a pack of poundland wet wipes later followed by a buff with microfiber cloth and it's looking great!

I then converted the shocks on my Kyosho Nexxt to oil dampers with the upgrade kit which only cost about £5! The only tricky part was getting the excess oil out, you're supposed to hold the shaft fully in while screwing the cap on but the shock seems to become watertight before all the excess oil can get out and as a result shaft rebounds heavily. After a few tries though it eventually came good and seemed to give a nice action. They work great, the ride is much more settled and it squats nicely when you do a drop test instead of bouncing back up. The only thing I'd change is slightly heavier oil in the rear. The rear springs are stronger because the motor is rear mounted but the piston discs and oil are the same for the front and rear. The rear springs could do with a little more taming although they are already a vast improvement.

I'm hoping to get a few more things done after tea, including gathering up all the random RC stuff littering my house and filing it all away in the appropriate storage aerea. I have random bags of bearings and motors and what not all over the place! Mostly stuff I've bought for projects but will end up ordering duplicates of when I can't find it unless I make an effort to sort it all out.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The motor in the Lazer came off at 35deg

Good grief! It would be hotter than that if you left the car in my in-laws living room for hour! Plenty of headroom there!

1 hour ago, nowinaminute said:

Good grief! It would be hotter than that if you left the car in my in-laws living room for hour! Plenty of headroom there!

You'd think eh, but 1 tooth bigger and it came off at 75deg. Its lucky I didn't have a size bigger or I would have skipped 2 teeth thinking I had a lot of headroom. Its funny how that happens, there definitely is a sweet spot. The same thing happened in my F1, its so light and the temp was about 50deg so I thought I had heaps of room, 1 tooth did it.

But I completely agree, 35 is like it hasn't done any work on a hot day

• Like 1

Went to my and my friends ''man cave'' garage, I have installed full new XB Tamiya gear from the M03m Suzuki to my 20 years old Tamiya DT-01 Fighter RX, it runs with ball bearings and 17T 0.8M Pinion on 3000nimh, could be a candidate for a new TBLE-02s esc and a brushless Tamiya 16T, that would be amazing, also I have orderd for this 2WD buggy a cheap $10 Gyro to try it out in off road conditions if it works with 27mhz, the servo is digital. The Fighter RX will get some driving since I got plenty off On road driving lately, the buggy guy in me is crazy for spin. :lol:

IMG_3648.jpg

But that is rather boring compared to what we did to my firends Tamiya F104v2, he is after some speed run results, and is going PANCAR over the F104 hah.

IMG_3651.jpg

IMG_3652.jpgIMG_3662.jpg

Waiting for pit shimizu rear 45mm tires and F103 front so the conversion could be fit to body properly. it runs 43T pinion and 104T spur on 3s with a 13,5T skyrc cheetah. 

• Like 1

finished off the Morris Minor body. The windows were a bit of a pain as no glue I used seemed to want to work, but managed to get them looking ok in the end.

IMG_0676.thumb.JPG.fbffa1573b710dab6a07554584f1c885.JPGIMG_0675.thumb.JPG.18a9d5eba1407f6ad198d5581b040fed.JPGIMG_0677.thumb.JPG.c3bfc3724aa65a92acada114e667ef08.JPG

• Like 7

also got the M38 chassis rebuilt. I bought it a while back as a resto project and have been polishing, cleaning and repairing bits but haven't got around to putting it all back together. Anyway, finally did - well pretty close - it needs a second resistor, the cover needs the crack repairing and the wiring could do with tidying.

This is how it started:

1950197170_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.327ebe684a29348c091d7e91c51b0a83.jpg349404349_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.1fe370c6ee0d56ce4090c9467546af10.jpg

This is how it looks now:

IMG_0674.thumb.JPG.20bbbf2fad8949fc88a0239541c084b9.JPG

• Like 6

Yesterday has a lunchtime breakout and gave the Grasshopper3 a run out with buggy wheels for a change. Been neglecting this a bit recently. 

20180911_132459

In the evening I started on seeing my 3 gear laydown gear case design for the TRF211 will actually work

Tamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attemptTamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attemptTamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attemptTamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attempt

Went together ok. Bit of fettling needed here and there but not a bad first effort. Need to figure out the shock tower and battery plate now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Spent a couple of hours with the guy who sold me the HB D817 getting it set up. I'm glad I did it with him rather than tried to do it all myself. I'm going to be relyong on him a lot over the next few months. First club day is next weekend, so only 10 days to wait to see how it goes.

Also picked up my sons new racer. A HB Racing D413 10th scale 4wd buggy. He doesn't know its coming so is in for a surprise tomorrow. I had told him that once he can get around a track I'd buy him a race car to come racing and he can't quite do it yet but this was a steal so couldn't pass it up. Its getting my old Trackstar motor/ESC and spare servo.

• Like 3

Yesterday actually, but whatever. I painted up the body on my Frog. Made a bit of a dogs breakfast of it.
It's going to be a runner anyway. The longer I went into the masking and painting process the more attractive the price of an expert built body was looking.

Oh well. This forum needs a worst paintjob thread.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

The longer I went into the masking and painting process the more attractive the price of an expert built body was looking.

Everytime I do a body shell!! 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1