Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Got the electrics sorted so gave the TRF211 3GL it's first proper run.

Tamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown. First proper run. Electrics install sorted.Tamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown. First proper run. Electrics install sorted.

Loving this. I built 85% of one back in March and got postponed due to time pressures - that and not being able to decide on or find two shorty packs and the front wheels modification or not. Solid build though. Classic @ThunderDragonCy colour scheme to boot!

22 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Sounds great. How did the chassis tuning go with the 1/8th scale? Got it dialed in? I am a huge fan of the track days I have been going to. The volume of running you get and the carefree nature of not having to worry about dogs/other people/small children in the area you are running in is just ace. You can really dial in your car, get some advice. I can't imagine the pressure of a race day would bring out the same. I think tracks should do more of these. It's way less intimidating than racing. 

I didn't do any tuning other than got more tyres. I have a really good base setup so its just track time that I need. It was great without the pressure of racing, I was able to try different lines and focus on one part of the track for a while, so just cruise 3/4 of the track and try and get the lines right to get through a certain section quickly. It means you aren't concentrating the whole time so you can put more effort into certain parts. I went from barely clearing some jumps and being slow around certain parts to being much faster. Hopefully next time I can bring it all together and shave a few seconds off my times.

Nitro is so different to 17.5T blinky in that you need to get on the gas sooner as there is a bit of lag as the rpm increase, and you need to use brakes or risk jumping off the track entirely. My 10th buggies I'm pretty much full throttle the whole way with the occassional bit where I lift off.

6 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Loving this. I built 85% of one back in March and got postponed due to time pressures - that and not being able to decide on or find two shorty packs and the front wheels modification or not. Solid build though. Classic @ThunderDragonCy colour scheme to boot!

Thanks dude! You should get yours finished. If it's anything like my DN01 or this it will SUCH a pleasure to drive. I wouldn't worry about the front hex conversion. I have one on this because the front end was 2nd hand off eBay, but because everything else I have it bearing it's actually a pain. Had to buy some new front wheels when I have spare tamiya ones lying around. 

As for batteries, get a shorty Lipo like mine instead of the weird twin battery option. A guy on TRF Off Road has installed a shorty crossways in his stock 211. He was the one who told me to do mine! Here's a pic. You just put it on the stiffening ribs. 

TRF211 stock with sideways Lipo shorty

The battery plate just flexes down over the battery and holds it in place. I don't even have the foam on the edges like this guy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I didn't do any tuning other than got more tyres. I have a really good base setup so its just track time that I need. It was great without the pressure of racing, I was able to try different lines and focus on one part of the track for a while, so just cruise 3/4 of the track and try and get the lines right to get through a certain section quickly. It means you aren't concentrating the whole time so you can put more effort into certain parts. I went from barely clearing some jumps and being slow around certain parts to being much faster. Hopefully next time I can bring it all together and shave a few seconds off my times.

Nitro is so different to 17.5T blinky in that you need to get on the gas sooner as there is a bit of lag as the rpm increase, and you need to use brakes or risk jumping off the track entirely. My 10th buggies I'm pretty much full throttle the whole way with the occassional bit where I lift off.

Thanks for the tip on practising. I know what you mean about the concentration required to lap flat out over and over. I have a track day next Saturday so I will give this technique a go. Definitely need to practice my jumps. 

• Like 1

Not Tamiya but the indoor RC got a run, at my son’s instigation!

DB0235F7-AE84-459D-88C0-62AEAE07D1D0.jpg

The McLaren looks good but doesn’t run well, McQueen is a great little car!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Yeah, I haven't seen any front susp arms on Evilbay, what spare there are, are pricey, that much is true.

$29.95 US $$ & 13.90 US $$ Plus 10% GST , Evilbay in the US . It's a bugggeerrrrrrrrr we got that GST now . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, matman said:

$29.95 US $$ & 13.90 US $$ Plus 10% GST , Evilbay in the US . It's a bugggeerrrrrrrrr we got that GST now . 

Yeah this sounds about right. Boy we sure do get badworded.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Stings enough buying these rare pieces.

Now the Federal government are hitting us with GST...

What do we get, 0.30c in the dollar return? (in WA)

Double sting.

12 minutes ago, Falcon#5 said:

Stings enough buying these rare pieces.

Now the Federal government are hitting us with GST...

What do we get, 0.30c in the dollar return? (in WA)

Double sting.

Going to change soon too .70 c as we are carring Eastern states :D  .  Not sure if it will go through or when .

1 minute ago, matman said:

Going to change soon too .70 c as we are carring Eastern states :D  .  Not sure if it will go through or when .

Even if it goes through, we're still getting stooged.

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

If only there was a 1/10 McLaren shell!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

If only, they only appear to licence to rubbish toys. I’ve seen a few in Debenhams and The Entertainer but they seem odd sizes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Thanks for the tip on practising. I know what you mean about the concentration required to lap flat out over and over. I have a track day next Saturday so I will give this technique a go. Definitely need to practice my jumps. 

I don't know if this is the best way to practice but when I've been at a track on my own I practice the same parts over and over. With others there you can't just stop and turn around to redo a part so this seemed to be closest to being able to. Good luck!

Great looking TRF211 too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spent a nice afternoon with my lads trailing in a forest nearby. I had waterproofed the reciever in the CC01 with Plastidip beforehand and had no issues at all with submersion in the stream we followed. The new Hobbywing 1080 worked a treat aswell.

Crawling Steckenshääferklamm

My lightly modified MF01X kept up very well though, need to change the box esc for something with a drag brake and waterproof everything. 

Crawling Steckenschääferklamm

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I spent a nice afternoon with my lads trailing in a forest nearby. I had waterproofed the reciever in the CC01 with Plastidip beforehand and had no issues at all with submersion in the stream we followed. The new Hobbywing 1080 worked a treat aswell.

Crawling Steckenshääferklamm

Glad the waterproofing worked out may I ask how exactly you applied the plastidip? Great looking truck btw.

I have a can of plastidip and have been meaning to waterproof some receivers... any special way you would recommend?

I’m planning on just hanging them up by string and spraying whilst spinning them?! ( I have short receiver extension leads so was going to plug them in and then plastidip around them, if that makes sense. Otherwise if you spray the receiver with the channel connectors exposed then they will get costed in plastidip too and you then can’t plug in your servo and esc?)

From a few days ago now, and I forgot to mention it, but while cleaning up and installing bearings in my Falcon I replaced the spur gear with one from a hornet.
The bearing seat on the Falcon one was damaged and a tad dodgy, and I couldn't re-assemble the gearbox without it all being too tight in there and not free spinning.
I checked the fit of the pinion to it and it all seems ok, runs freely, and the test run went ok.

Anyone else ever done this?

Ordered a CR-01 Rock Socker from Tamico. It's in their sale section and even with postage to the UK it was under £200! Cheapest I've ever seen them plus it gives a home to a whole set of spare electrics I have. Oh how we justify these things... 😉 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

Ordered a CR-01 Rock Socker from Tamico. It's in their sale section and even with postage to the UK it was under £200! Cheapest I've ever seen them plus it gives a home to a whole set of spare electrics I have. Oh how we justify these things... 😉 

Bargain (in my eyes), mine was a touch over that in the U.K. 

I was desperate to start it, then realised I hadn’t got the TS red for the wheels. Argh! In the queue for the New Year now...

• Like 1

Working on an addition to our backyard track. Going for a supercross feel. The borders (old fence boards) aren't permanent but they help me visualize it. I was able to do a test drive with a Blitzer and it's a little tight, but I think it will work a few tweaks. Picture taken from the roof when cleaning gutters :-)

20181014_094812_resized.thumb.jpg.b2da2310200b0a5442dcf05f035c5392.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I was desperate to start it, then realised I hadn’t got the TS red for the wheels.

Hadn't realised I needed that! ... Luckily I have some left over from the Beetle Build.. Probably run out by the third wheel however.. 

• Sad 1

ONE MILLION VIEWS!!

I just noticed a lot of zeros... Apparently "so what have you done today" got a million view.  lol... we are a bunch of curious people!  (or we are a "tight-knit community.")

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

I have a can of plastidip and have been meaning to waterproof some receivers... any special way you would recommend?

With the ESC and servo cables connected and the spare slots in the reciever filled with blu-tac I just actually dipped the whole thing into the can of Plastidip. Let it dry for a bit and then did it again. Worked fine for this outing, no problems at all, but this was a hobbyking reciever for about 6$ so I wasn't very worried. Of course that means I can't disconnect the cables from the reciever without restoring the Plastidip seal. I'll post a picture later if I can

8 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

Ordered a CR-01 Rock Socker from Tamico.😉

me too. can`t wait!

• Like 2