Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, Juggular said:

Stayed up all night to build Alfa Romeo chassis.

Nice. But I hope you've had some rest now, as you have a body shell to do  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Put some new wheels on my Top Force, I think they match the colour scheme quite well.

66lPzta9jWCTHZxwhbyXb-5_UOQA2w3wcuFJ0s0j

-SUSqsDCqnu4-t1Jo-EATnFokVLSL4eKUdeMig58

• Like 14

Installed my savox servo in my DF02, since I am awaiting a 9T brushless setup, I took out the servo holder wirh esc stay, in order to fit the esc behind the servo, for myself always a problem on the df02, to fit the electronics, the low profile servo is really small. Also changed the ball connectors on the turn buckles. Since one was coming off all the time. New CVA shocks are on its way also.

cant wait. But I thought a diff rebuild wouldnt be to hard since I need to change the main prop shaft to aluminium. 

24xh1ee.jpg

• Like 5

Finished a holiday build

190-FD1-B8-55-FF-4-A22-85-C2-388-A03-D96

Pleasantly surprised by how good this looks. Lots of fun been had with my boys driving it round the gravel garden. I put a dirt tuned motor in it, but perhaps the torque tuned would have been enough.

Also finished off my Gmade GS02 BOM

CE85-EF3-E-EE3-F-4-F78-96-FA-DDE80-A09-C

Very popular with my 3.5 year old, he really enjoys the torque and the drag brake to keep it under control 😀

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Took my boys out with their cars. After 5 minutes the Lunchbox stops dead.

A quick on-site investigation determines the cheap Hobbyking waterproof servo is the fault. With that unplugged the rest of the system works fine.

Ordered an Alturn as a replacement

I've really not been very keen on Dean's plugs but they're the most common type.  I can't use the Tamiya favorite Molex plug because they're prone to melting/burning up under the amps of modern battery systems.  I use bullet connectors on my race rigs but not my bashers, although it may come to that.  I decided to give the Castle connectors a try.  I really like how they're designed.  So far the only drawback is the 4mm sized plug works with wire gauge up to 13 (it's an oddity but that's a Castle gauge so I suppose it makes sense.)  All my Duratrax LiPo stick packs have 12 gauge wire, and the plug will not fit.  Soooo close.  :(  Plan B is to use 4mm bullet - Castle connector extension until all my Dean's connector batteries need to be replaced then I guess I'll convert over to 4mm bullet on racers and bashers.  I suppose I could try the 6mm Castle connectors but that seems like overkill to me.

10.22.2018-09.13.png

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

Took my boys out with their cars. After 5 minutes the Lunchbox stops dead.

A quick on-site investigation determines the cheap Hobbyking waterproof servo is the fault. With that unplugged the rest of the system works fine.

Ordered an Alturn as a replacement

I've never trusted cheap servos.  In the long run a few more dollars spent on a good one saves money and frustration.

Casualty number 2 of the day...

After the Lunchbox broke down both boys took turns with the Mad Bull which ran great.

Until I noticed it was sitting a bit funny (well more funny than a Mad Bull usually does). On closer inspection the lower eye of one of the front shocks has snapped.

Fortunately I have a couple of spare front shocks so once time allows that will be an easy fix.

I am still impressed by the Mad Bull, it takes loads of punishment and looks great when you get it on the right terrain.

About time Tamiya released a Mad Bull 2 that sorts out some of the issues!

• Like 1

This is what I did today.

I planned on creating my own ESC and servo tray. The Tamiya trays are not enough and they are expensive. I bought a carbon fiber sheet (200mm x 300mm x 2mm) for $20 shipped. Turned out the way I had planned. First pic shows the plan I did last week.

P1140665 edit.jpg

P1140681.JPG

P1140682.JPG

P1140683.JPG

P1140684.JPG

P1140685.JPG

P1140686.JPG

P1140687.JPG

P1140689.JPG

P1140690.JPG

P1140688.JPG

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Casualty number 2 of the day...

After the Lunchbox broke down both boys took turns with the Mad Bull which ran great.

Until I noticed it was sitting a bit funny (well more funny than a Mad Bull usually does). On closer inspection the lower eye of one of the front shocks has snapped.

Fortunately I have a couple of spare front shocks so once time allows that will be an easy fix.

I am still impressed by the Mad Bull, it takes loads of punishment and looks great when you get it on the right terrain.

About time Tamiya released a Mad Bull 2 that sorts out some of the issues!

Been running a Mad bull on 2s 4600kv for a while, crazy fast. only bust the steering post from the chassis and had new wheel hexes, but it has taken serious abuse.  Parts are cheap as well, great basher.

3 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Traded a rock crawler for a new built never run ff03 pro with many extras.

IMG_0111

Oh You'll enjoy the build. Nice to see you have aluminum suspension rockers, carbon fiber stiffener and shock tower. I'm about to make the CF stiffener today.

Went to the LHS and picked up most of the materials for a boat build.  This is a Racing Sparrow, a 750mm yacht, I found an ebook for $12 which has step by step instructions as everything is scratch built.  Its balsa planking with fibreglass over top and then working out how to make the masts, keel etc.  Should be fun

https://flic.kr/p/29yS5oE

The website for the yacht is www.racingsparrow.co.nz

Will be starting the build tonight and no doubt miss summer as I think they take about 100hours.

• Like 5

Argghhhh me hearty, shiver me timbers you land lubber, pieces of eight... suppose you’ll be getting a parrot for your shoulder next Jono, who’s a pretty boy then... squawk!

Good luck with the scratch build I hope it gets completed before Xmas... no pressure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Went to the LHS and picked up most of the materials for a boat build.  This is a Racing Sparrow, a 750mm yacht, I found an ebook for $12 which has step by step instructions as everything is scratch built.  Its balsa planking with fibreglass over top and then working out how to make the masts, keel etc.  Should be fun

https://flic.kr/p/29yS5oE

The website for the yacht is www.racingsparrow.co.nz

Will be starting the build tonight and no doubt miss summer as I think they take about 100hours.

I keep forgetting it's summer there!  I remember seeing $800 Tamiya yachts...  Sounds like a fun project.  

I've been thinking about converting a 270mm gunboat into RC to run in pools. 

Below is the same exact boat, but much larger in scale -- about 530mm.  I don't want something that big (and expensive).   

A propeller and a rudder would be the simplest.  280 motor and 3.7v.  But I want to use one motor to take in the water and shoot out in twin water jet.  Maybe have an internal sliding gate to block the path of one nozzle at a time, if that's possible.  Or an internal rudder to block some water one direction.  That way, a slow reverse run would be possible too, unlike the bigger RTR version.  At this stage, I'm just daydreaming.  Summer is far away for me.  

MI2mN2t.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Been running a Mad bull on 2s 4600kv for a while, crazy fast. only bust the steering post from the chassis and had new wheel hexes, but it has taken serious abuse.  Parts are cheap as well, great basher.

I got a Fighter Buggy RX, a DT01, over 20years of abuse with brushed motors. Seeing now that it could handle a 2s brushless, makes me want to upgrade it.

• Haha 1

Today I worked on the rear deck stiffener and motor wire stopper using the same 2mm CF board.

The documentation is here:

P1140699.JPG

P1140700.JPG

• Like 2

Another exhaust tip appears on my F104GTmini build. Hopefully a Mazda MX5 will fit. I missed the wheelbase for 3,5mm. How annoying. Instead of 225mm I got now 228,5-229mm.

309hmol.jpg2v2i5bs.jpg

maybe I’ll pick a Rcon comical E190 merc or e30 bmw since they can go from 210-225mm, I mean they look strange anyway, so 1-2mm off front and rear wont be that noticable.

2i1oww0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I got a Fighter Buggy RX, a DT01, over 20years of abuse with brushed motors. Seeing now that it could handle a 2s brushless, makes me want to upgrade it.

I think the hexes only stripped because the wheel nuts were loosening, so I would recommend new wheel nuts, other than that, it's bullet-proof, so many cartwheels, so little damage. :) 

10 hours ago, Juggular said:

I keep forgetting it's summer there!  I remember seeing $800 Tamiya yachts...  Sounds like a fun project.  

Below is the same exact boat, but much larger in scale -- about 530mm.  I don't want something that big (and expensive).   

A propeller and a rudder would be the simplest.  280 motor and 3.7v.  But I want to use one motor to take in the water and shoot out in twin water jet.  Maybe have an internal sliding gate to block the path of one nozzle at a time, if that's possible.  Or an internal rudder to block some water one direction.  That way, a slow reverse run would be possible too, unlike the bigger RTR version.  At this stage, I'm just daydreaming.  Summer is far away for me.  

MI2mN2t.jpg

I had thought of getting one of those RTR gun boats and making it look like the river patrol boat in Apocalypse Now.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Argghhhh me hearty, shiver me timbers you land lubber, pieces of eight... suppose you’ll be getting a parrot for your shoulder next Jono, who’s a pretty boy then... squawk!

Good luck with the scratch build I hope it gets completed before Xmas... no pressure.

Thanks, I now have a childrens book about pirates stuck in my head. Have you read the Tiny Travellers books?

While possible to finish by Christmas I don't really want to, the reason I don't have a Top Force is the build will be over in a few hours.

11 hours ago, Juggular said:

MI2mN2t.jpg

You could make one, the monohull powerboat I made first could have the detailed deck added...no idea how you woukd do the jet propulsion other than buy one though.

I plan to document this build, anyone interested in a build thread?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Thanks, I now have a childrens book about pirates stuck in my head. Have you read the Tiny Travellers books?

I plan to document this build, anyone interested in a build thread?

Or Sunk! with Penguin Blue.

Build thread? Yes, please!

• Like 1

Yes ofcourse @Jonathon Gillham threads are what this is all about.

Today  ran my Orange Gallardo.... on a stock XB TL01 chassis with XB electrics... a MSC and a Tamiya Steerwheel 27Mhz radio... and it all worked flawlessly..... this must be how it was done back in the day.... I'm about to rip out these electrics and they will soon be for sale in the sales section, just wanted to show them all working here.

c8s8goi.jpg

tlKZx8d.jpg

pYDsvGp.jpg

pNNzgRD.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Yes ofcourse @Jonathon Gillham threads are what this is all about.

Today  ran my Orange Gallardo.... on a stock XB TL01 chassis with XB electrics... a MSC and a Tamiya Steerwheel 27Mhz radio... and it all worked flawlessly..... this must be how it was done back in the day.... I'm about to rip out these electrics and they will soon be for sale in the sales section, just wanted to show them all working here.

c8s8goi.jpg

tlKZx8d.jpg

pYDsvGp.jpg

It's orange, I love it!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1