Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It looks nice, gizard! I am curious to hear about how the remote-switch lights got working.

I unearthed my Lancia 037 Rally:

s10shv.jpg

fmt4xl.jpg

Quite why I never ran this car more than once is something of a minor tragedy. I simply ran out of places to run it, I guess - and time, too. I do need to be especially careful when transporting this car anywhere.

At least it looks all there, both mechanically and on the surface:

161c9km.jpg

I forgot how hard I had worked on this car:

243s379.jpg

I would build another one, but I lost my job last week :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

17 minutes ago, Grastens said:

I would build another one, but I lost my job last week :(

Grastens, hang in there buddy!  After 15 years with the same company I lost mine in May of this year and it's taken a long time to not feel bitter about it.  But, what I can say is the sun will continue to rise and there will continue to be opportunities out there.  (And, your model is still as impressive as ever!)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I had my friend TB04 blocks in hand,  they are included in the kit and I find Tamiya ones heavier and possible more robust then te Yeah racing, they are really lightweight. Hey, for 99cents for how much I paid for them, they do their job very well. 

As from my expirience alu parts from 3racing and Yeah racing are great, I would avoid GPM for touring cars as their parts are non better then original parts (except the fact they are aluminium), I dont know, but Exotek looks also very nice, I have seen lots of exotek parts on t2shop.de for your TA07. 

Exotek make excellent stuff. I have some of their upgrades on my Ultima and heaps of people at my offroad club swear by them. Give them a go if they have something you want

• Like 1

Indeed - Exotek gear is top-of-the-line. Not cheap, but very well made. I use their adjusters and shock parts on my F104V2 Pro.

Today was a clear out day.

Enough space and money now to look at a high end scale truck.

Time to watch reviews on the Axiel and Gmade stuff...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Grastens said:

It looks nice, gizard! I am curious to hear about how the remote-switch lights got working.

Just one of these from HK:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-receiver-controlled-switch-1.html?___store=en_us

using a spare channel on the remote - then a bunch of 5mm LED's with the correct Resistor for each pair of LEDs - there are 4 at the front and two at the rear.

On 30 November 2018 at 12:34 PM, Blista said:

A nearby model shop caught fire and now an auctioneer is selling everything off, so I've just been looking through a few online listings for smoke/water damaged Tamiya kits.  They're selling PS paint in lots too.  That could be where the real bargains are.  I'm trying not to get my hopes up of scoring a good deal because kits can go for oddly high prices in NZ.  Now that I think about it, I shouldn't be advertising this.  Forget I said anything...  :ph34r:

And i'm heading to NZ for X-mas too . May have to look as well :D ... 

• Like 1

A momentous weekend here.

Firstly, non momentous but satisfying all the same, finished off lightly detailing an old Lunchie I had for a chap on the forum. It was already painted, although used, so I just detailed up a few bits and gave it a general tidy up before it goes to it's new home:

before:

IMG_0690IMG_0692IMG_0691

and after:

IMG_0734IMG_0733IMG_0732IMG_0735

In more momentous news, my dearly departed and recently rediscovered Astute took a significant step towards running again. After getting it stripped and cleaned I made a list of everything that I needed and hit the web. Amazingly I managed to track down just about everything and the postman kindly dropped off the key parts - the diff housings - Saturday morning. So the rebuild began.

Parts used were:

brand new diff housings

brand new diff internals (amazed I found them)

brand new plastic gear set (amazed I found them too)

brand new E parts tree

new bearings throughout

brand new front and rear tyres

new set of countersunk screws

brand new set of Hi-Caps - just because! :)

I had to plastic weld the rear hub carriers where they had split or broken and they are holding up nicely, but I may get a set of 3D printed replacements just to look a bit better.

IMG_0730IMG_0729IMG_0728IMG_0727IMG_0726

I'm still missing one or two screws, so they are next to order, but the big dilemma now is what to do with the radio gear - do I put the original manual speed controller set up back in, or go with a ESC? :wacko:

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Exotek make excellent stuff. I have some of their upgrades on my Ultima and heaps of people at my offroad club swear by them. Give them a go if they have something you want

I have an Exotek slipper eliminator on myTRF 201 and TRF 211.  I have other bits and bobs from them as well, like the aluminum nuts for the battery holder

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

I'm still missing one or two screws, so they are next to order, but the big dilemma now is what to do with the radio gear - do I put the original manual speed controller set up back in, or go with a ESC? :wacko:

This is the Egress springs ? What do you thing about this springs ? I search medium springs for my Hi Cap dampers on my Madcap. I have got soft and hard springs bit not medium. 

As parts for the blazing star came rolling in, I started stripping and cleaning as it is a very simple chassis.

The car came in as a complete roller in standard form, but the list of parts and upgrades to get it in the right shape is becoming quite extensive :o

-Ball bearings

-Receiver, ESC, servo

-aluminium steering rack upgrade, to get rid of the free play

-Aluminium motor mount and propshaft kit.

-TA-01 full plastic gear set to get rid of the aluminium gears in the rear gearbox.

-Steel pinion gear

And I’m still missing the servo posts and servo saver! <_< Aaaaaaargh

6 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

A momentous weekend here.

Firstly, non momentous but satisfying all the same, finished off lightly detailing an old Lunchie I had for a chap on the forum. It was already painted, although used, so I just detailed up a few bits and gave it a general tidy up before it goes to it's new home:

before:

IMG_0690IMG_0692IMG_0691

and after:

IMG_0734IMG_0733IMG_0732IMG_0735

In more momentous news, my dearly departed and recently rediscovered Astute took a significant step towards running again. After getting it stripped and cleaned I made a list of everything that I needed and hit the web. Amazingly I managed to track down just about everything and the postman kindly dropped off the key parts - the diff housings - Saturday morning. So the rebuild began.

Parts used were:

brand new diff housings

brand new E parts tree

new bearings throughout

I had to plastic weld the rear hub carriers where they had split or broken and they are holding up nicely, but I may get a set of 3D printed replacements just to look a bit better.

A CPR unit is definitely required 😉

14 hours ago, Kaminagayuchi said:

This is the Egress springs ? What do you thing about this springs ? I search medium springs for my Hi Cap dampers on my Madcap. I have got soft and hard springs bit not medium. 

Hi, yes these are. Hard to say as it's still not a runner, but they seem about right to me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, svenb said:

A CPR unit is definitely required 😉

haha - you know that was my first thought too ;)

I'm not saying no just yet - if one turned up.........

I finally figured out a good way to add headlights to my MK1 Golf body.  I just used some light buckets from a set of rally spot lights I had and bored out the headlight area in the grill.  The lip on the buckets fits perfectly snug and just about snaps into the opening in the grill.  I yellowed the headlight lens's and now I just have to wire them up.

45267075295_4c2c230ccd_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

46128860162_915d134cce_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

46128854172_5f3a4e46ec_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

the entire front end has seen some hard front end hits at full speed, but it still doesn't look too bad.

45455912874_b754c222c0_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2018 at 8:50 PM, jonboy1 said:

Parts used were:

brand new diff housings

brand new E parts tree

new bearings throughout

IMG_0730IMG_0729IMG_0728IMG_0727

I miss my Astute. A friend begged me to give it to him (in 2007). Since I had stopped from RC, I decided to let go (for free) and sold my other on-road cars (HPI Pro4 & Tamiya TA04R) as well. My friend promised that he would keep it and run it again. I even asked him to show me when the build is finished. But I found out that he sold it and made money out of it. Had I known he would do that, I should have just kept it. 

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I miss my Astute. A friend begged me to give it to him (in 2007). Since I had stopped from RC, I decided to let go (for free) and sold my other on-road cars (HPI Pro4 & Tamiya TA04R) as well. My friend promised that he would keep it and run it again. I even asked him to show me when the build is finished. But I found out that he sold it and made money out of it. Had I known he would do that, I should have just kept it. 

I hope he is no longer considered a friend! :o

• Like 3

Pre ordered the top cat after swearing I would never build another classic schumacher cat again after my XLS tried my patient's and fought me every page i turned in the build manual🤔 (sorry I just love em)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

I hope he is no longer considered a friend! :o

Still is my friend, not so close though but he will remain as is after what he had done. The Pro4 also went to him although I sold it very cheap. My Pro4 was the kit to have at that time because I had installed all the genuine hop-up parts available for it. There were no aftermarket parts for it back then so I had almost spend double on that kit. He also promised to keep it and run/race it. But, like the Astute, he sold it too.

• Sad 1

Late night maintenance on my boys' Blitzers while listening to hair bands and having Falcon flashbacks. It's therapeutic, I swear. Installed a new servo saver in the one on the left and a new steering knuckle and rear shock tower in the one on the right.

20181204_234131_resized.thumb.jpg.f2c865c29d0c5251c0a33e23a9112211.jpg 20181203_232228_resized.thumb.jpg.1ba747311ad373f319c277cbcd74b626.jpg

• Like 3

So finished this today. Decals not completely right, but very glad to add it to the collection. 

20181205_161429.jpg

hundd0.jpgwa5bmg.jpg

lunchy went brushless, a OCDAY 9T 4370kV sistem is fitted with a 7,2V LRP 5000mah nimh battery. Maybe I will leave it like this. Havent tested it.

went for a test drive earlier today, this isnhow I got the idea for burshless 💡 with silvercan and 7,4V Nosram Lipo 55C 3800mah saddle pack fitted on top location above rear shocks. Nice steady wheelies, I am curious about brushless wheelies now. :) with the heavy nimh in the lowest location.

10441l5.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/3/2018 at 12:50 PM, jonboy1 said:

What a lucky chap..!  ;):D