Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ripped out ( carefully) the old electrics in my new to me Bullhead.... an old Acoms Techniplus 27Mhz radio set, MSC, Acoms AS7 servo and the "Power / Economy" switch thingy with 6 motor bullet connectors on the other side of it... hoping I won't need any of that stuff with my new electrics plan!

I'm guessing this Bullhead is an original one running with an MSC and the "Power/Economy" switch thing as the 2012Rere came with a Tamiya TEU106 ESC which didn't have that?? ( guessing!)

2 hours ago, S-PCS said:

Did you open any boxes? :D

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Or any box's?

Haha

Nope, I was sooo tempted though. 

Addlestone Model Centre was the shop.

Ampro servo mount

I replaced my ghetto mod with the am-pro version in blue to match the chassis. 

Polished the suspension stays and fitted some rising fighter suspension. Blue to match the orv chassis. Release dates 16 years apart yet the plastics are an exact colour match (I doubt these parts are original release either).

Sure Mad Cap ones would be period correct but they are not pocket correct!

Ampro servo mount

• Like 4

Made the keel bulb mould mark 2.  Hopefully this one works better.  I made the plaster of paris much more runny and the first half smoothed out nicely.  Forgot to put the little sticks in though to make it line up with the top half, luckily remembered in time so was able to drill some holes and put nails in which should work fine.  The key word is should.  Expect a post tomorrow saying "went to the hardware store and bought more plaster of paris"

Actually went to the hardware store today too.  Bought one of these

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/craftright-tool-safe-case-465x360x175mm_p05810252

I've been wanting something to carry my Tx to the track as I've never really liked having such a critical and expensive part floating around in the car.  This one takes my MT4S and Jamie's 3PV so my wife won't mind the expense.

Been playing with the tank chassis too, waiting on my crimp tool before I can get it going properly (holding wires into plugs isn't a long term solution).  Just need to know if I should run a battery pack per ESC and if this affects the rx, or run a single battery pack and use a Y lead to be able to connect to each ESC.  Any ideas?

• Like 2

Not so happy with myself today, for the first time in more then 2 months a had a little time to drive one of my cars, so I took my new build boomerang to the beach, after one minute it makes a terrible niose like it was eating gears, not happy I went  home to investigate what was wrong, at first I tought mayby the pinion was loose,.

So I pulled out the motor and everything was good, then I I took the front gearbox off and tear it appart and found the problem, it was me being real stupid, I forget the E2 part that hold the gear in place, the  gear is toast and the gearbox to:angry:

This never happened to me before I build alot of rc and alot of rebuids, I feel a little bit dumb.

IMG_7019.JPG

IMG_7020.JPG

• Sad 3

Too bad about the gears. I had the same thing when I took a Mantray to the beach. Sand had entered the rear gearbox, destroying the gears. That also ended things quickly that day.

I wish I had a beach close by to do more driving. Now it is just the street and grass, but sometimes that really gets old...

3 hours ago, Ray_ve said:

Too bad about the gears. I had the same thing when I took a Mantray to the beach. Sand had entered the rear gearbox, destroying the gears. That also ended things quickly that day.

I wish I had a beach close by to do more driving. Now it is just the street and grass, but sometimes that really gets old...

The beach is 10 minutes driving from my home, 95% of the time I run my cars on the beach because its where i live the only wide open space to drive, and have some nice dunes, the other 5% I run on asphalt but the open space is limited here, I wish I had some big forest here.

well, today I sold my Losi 1:24, wasnt to easy as it is a fun car... but it helped to sign off 1 item on my Tamiya wish list.

well... not completely, it is a 58444 Body shell with matching wheels. Was not to cheap either.. but the sale of a Losi made it affordable, as I was looking out for this Abarth Asetto Corse a long long time. Now it can go along with my Abarth 1000TCR.

in the same time on ebay a real 58444 NIB kit appeard on ebay... but I could not justify to pay 200€ including shipping for a M05 kit as I have the M05ver2. Not that I was not tempted, I even asked and got a price quote on 160 + 19€ shipping instead of 198€. but this was cheaper trust me. 

now I need a M07 but really. :) 

286z313.jpg

next up... I have bids for my TA05 so it could be possible that we see a M06 Alfa Giulia GTA 1600 next on order :D

• Like 8

5 hours ago, dannymulder said:

Not so happy with myself today, for the first time in more then 2 months a had a little time to drive one of my cars, so I took my new build boomerang to the beach, after one minute it makes a terrible niose like it was eating gears, not happy I went  home to investigate what was wrong, at first I tought mayby the pinion was loose,.

So I pulled out the motor and everything was good, then I I took the front gearbox off and tear it appart and found the problem, it was me being real stupid, I forget the E2 part that hold the gear in place, the  gear is toast and the gearbox to:angry:

This never happened to me before I build alot of rc and alot of rebuids, I feel a little bit dumb.

IMG_7019.JPG

IMG_7020.JPG

It happens to the best of us.  

On my 1991 Toyota Tercel (Corsa or Soluna, similar to Paseo), I took out the passenger seat to carry something big.  After putting back the chair, there was a bolt left over... 

I still don't know where that bolt came from.  You are ahead of me since you know what went wrong. 

• Haha 2

A short run with my Defender in the snow.  First time out with my driver installed and new paint scheme. 

46183223045_fcc47068ed_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

33221689718_d7819ac29f_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

33221677568_76d821e021_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

32155023327_0006811376_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

I still want to swap out the wheels for a more traditional steel wheel you'd find on a Land Rover and slightly smaller tires.

• Like 11

Hit a bump in my NIP M04 Gilulia build My metal bags were for the M04L, not the M04M, so I have the wrong kingpins.

I might have to utilise some used ones from my stash until I can replace with some new ones - a pack is only £1.89 from Modelsport so I can tack them on to  my next big electronics order.

But that is going to have to wait for a while...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Hit a bump in my NIP M04 Gilulia build My metal bags were for the M04L, not the M04M, so I have the wrong kingpins.

That's strange. The kingpins should be the same in both. Do you have pics? 

20 minutes ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

That's strange. The kingpins should be the same in both. Do you have pics? 

I think they use different hubs

M04L 

51238 F sprue for hubs

530E2ED5-AB34-44F1-A5A8-4745A8836888.png

MO4M

50736 B sprue for hubs

868ED098-7EDE-4603-A71C-736B6D20685D.png

14 hours ago, Juggular said:

It happens to the best of us.  

On my 1991 Toyota Tercel (Corsa or Soluna, similar to Paseo), I took out the passenger seat to carry something big.  After putting back the chair, there was a bolt left over... 

I still don't know where that bolt came from.  You are ahead of me since you know what went wrong. 

once when rebuilding a Mk1 golf engine, I put the head gasket on upside down. This mean no oil ended up going to the cam etc.

of course I didn't work that out until I am stuck in traffic, looking at engine turning over and realising the cam has seized.

Luckily even after seizing the head, no real damage was done.

I cannot say that is the only dumb thing I've done on a car :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Found the best set of wheels in my stash to suit this Nissan GTIR

e9ZR1Cs.jpg

Vyl4pBt.jpg

the wheels look great with the shell and will look great with the spokes painted white

• Like 1

3D printed shock towers for the Dual Hunter, to go with the shocks the previous owner installed. ^_^
The chassis sits lower now. Much better because the shocks were too long for the original mounting points, causing the chassis to sit way too high.

QUddVI4.jpg

Wish the ESC was here, as it is beautiful weather outside. But our Chinese friends are not quitte back from their holidays. So a bit more patience for now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

M04L 

51238 F sprue for hubs

MO4M

50736 B sprue for hubs

The 50882 kingpins look similar to the Low Friction versions. What's strange is that in the two M04L kits I've bought neither had this kingpin, both had the 2090009 step screw. Do they both have the same diameter step?

edit: Nevermind. I've just looked up 50882 and they're the TA04 kingpins which are 0.5mm smaller in diameter.

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

M04L 

51238 F sprue for hubs

MO4M

50736 B sprue for hubs

This was a similar problem to mine, I tried to install M05RA uprights on a M03 and... I didnt have the king pins. Ended up ruining the RA uprights with a 3mm drill... guess what, the hole is the same size as the bolt. What a fail... did work something out with TA05 bushings for rhe C hubs... ended up the end ordering new RA fron uprights and adequate king pins. At least I have now spare C hubs and uprights :)

will install tem later today.

Today a much beter day then yesterday, with some nice weather I punished my wt-01 for one hour, do big jumps and drive it like a maniac, with some little mods this car is real tough. 

I have it for 3 years now and it never breaks, people say a mad bull is tough I killed a mad bull and trow it away in the bin, the mad bull body is weak, I broke the gear case in half, broke the rear rims and the front shock tower, and after some running you get a terrible play in the front arms from a worn out chassis.

IMG_20190215_140132.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dannymulder said:

Today a much beter day then yesterday, with some nice weather I punished my wt-01 for one hour, do big jumps and drive it like a maniac, with some little mods this car is real tough. 

Nice terrain, I really need to take my Dual Hunter there too! Can I ask what type of batteries you use in yours?

Ran the Blazing star today, it runs well. Very happy with all its upgrades but I still need to get a stickpack-shaped lipo.

• Like 1

I used  yuki brainergy 4000 mah lipo's but after 3 years old now 1 has puffed the case open and the other one is not the best anymore, but they have a lot of cycles on them and the fit perfect in al the tamiya cars.
Now I run the turnigy nanotech 25c 4200mah, I bought them real cheap for 18 euro but they do not fit whitout some moding, I have grind the chassis with a dremel to fit those, now they fit, and I have a spare chassis.

what I have done to the chassis is aluminum shocktower hubs and knuckles, gmade shocks, turnbuckles, chassis brace to support the front shocktower because I have bend it once, and a home made servo mount from a clothing hook that bolds on both sides of the chassis, hardened front and rear axle.

I running Square high speed gears with 23 pinion and a hobbywing Quikrun 3654 3800kv motor and esc.
the only thing a had with the car was with the brushless motor I keep breaking the stock dogbones, now I am running for a long time hpi bullet dogbones in mine and they are a lot stronger then the tamiya ones , there is no wear on them and they do not break.

IMG_7021.JPG

IMG_7025.JPG

IMG_7026.JPG

IMG_7030.JPG

• Like 2

Raced around with my M06L 911GT2, my niece is quite entertained by it.  I nicknamed it 'bumble bee' as it is yellow and 'mr. car' is reserved for the XV01 BRZ.

And I bought something... after having difficulty acquiring one in 2016, I present to you an uncut F40 shell which I intend to make runners from!

s-l1600.jpg

note: this one appears to be the same as the group C version but is intended for the TG10R and does not have the wing/spoiler and mirror parts tree.  If anyone has one they could part with, I will pay and praise you.

• Like 3

Finished painting the Zakspeed body, only need to unmask and apply decals now... 

I think I'll be building more touring cars for a while. 

DSC_2459.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, firefoxussr said:

Raced around with my M06L 911GT2, my niece is quite entertained by it.  I nicknamed it 'bumble bee' as it is yellow and 'mr. car' is reserved for the XV01 BRZ.

And I bought something... after having difficulty acquiring one in 2016, I present to you an uncut F40 shell which I intend to make runners from!

s-l1600.jpg

note: this one appears to be the same as the group C version but is intended for the TG10R and does not have the wing/spoiler and mirror parts tree.  If anyone has one they could part with, I will pay and praise you.

does this mean you are going to do some vac forming soon? :D

• Haha 1