Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today I assembled another ORV. I seem to have an obsession with these. 

ORVORV1

• Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 11:26 PM, Fabia130vRS said:

Went to our man cave to start building a lexan shaper.

Build steps 1 make a air box

pretty happy with the result. Cant wait for some real test.

I am keen to see how you have built/building this, any chance of a build thread?

• Like 1

Went to the track today. There was a practice day today and a 10th meet tomorrow. My son had a mixed day but was able to sort of get around a pretty difficult track. My 4wd was amazing, 2wd was typical painful 2wd which can either be awesome or awful it just depends.

Also ordered a SkyRC Toro120 amp ESC, RCMart are doing free shipping so USD68 shipped. The speedo in my Ultima is playing up, I could get it work by looking at it funny or dropping it from a big height...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

I am keen to see how you have built/building this, any chance of a build thread?

no unfortunately. It is a project of my friend and with me as a helper.

Basically this is how it works, make a small as possible box, best size would be the same as you will use the lexan panels. ours is even a bit small, 45cm wide with 65cm long and 10cm tall. make on the side a bigger hole for a very strong vaccum cleaner. we are using a 2000W industrial vaccum cleaner. We did seal the corners with hot glue. 

on the top, drill 3mm holes in 1cm distance. but I have heard, they cant be to big neither to small. neither can there be too much or too less.

So basically if anyone understands thermodynamic, should not be to hard to calculate :D

on the other hand, we bought a bathroom heating device... and found a box where the heater is mounted in, together with a heating fan, for good hot air circulation. and that should bassicaly heat the lexan we will put on a frame and then on the mold.

this is still a concept. we are still struggling to get a good mold. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Went to the track today. There was a practice day today and a 10th meet tomorrow. My son had a mixed day but was able to sort of get around a pretty difficult track. My 4wd was amazing, 2wd was typical painful 2wd which can either be awesome or awful it just depends.

Also ordered a SkyRC Toro120 amp ESC, RCMart are doing free shipping so USD68 shipped. The speedo in my Ultima is playing up, I could get it work by looking at it funny or dropping it from a big height...

I would like to know your thoughts on that esc. is it the one you can connect via bluetooth to your phone? as a program card.

6 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I would like to know your thoughts on that esc. is it the one you can connect via bluetooth to your phone? as a program card.

I have heard good things and a common theme from people who use them is that they can't fault them even compared to expensive brand name ESC. A lot of people at my club use these exclusively. 

There is a wifi module thing you can buy for extra which allows you to use your phone to program it, I don't have it as I know enough people who have it so will ask them to program it for me, basically turn the punch down for my 2wd. 

I expect it will do everything well but nothing amazing. I'm not amazing so it will be plenty good enough for me

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2019 at 7:39 PM, Jason1145 said:

Found the best set of wheels in my stash to suit this Nissan GTIR

e9ZR1Cs.jpg

Vyl4pBt.jpg

Chav tastic:-) just needs a dustbin exhaust hanging out the back at it will look like a real one.

• Haha 3

Retrofitted some XV-01 sway bars to a TT-02. Trying out similar spring rates front and rear with with a stiffer bar up front - previously had stiffer springs up front.

TcrOTDY.jpg

oIqtv4k.jpg

QvEuna5.jpg

Also gave it a quick speed run - not too bad for 2S

YI7SWK9.jpg

• Like 6

Ran out of space above the cabinets to put the cars, so put in a shelf to add more!

8w2pzsN.jpg

Still have the Marui Big Bear and Samurai if they ever get done, and a Clodbuster is on its way as we speak.

• Like 3

Put a Cat XLS wing on the back of my Dual Ridge as I think the kit one is hideous! Going to have to decant some paint to get into the end plates however. 

DSC_0009

Used the original mount merely extended away from the shock tower by longer screws and washers. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nbTMM said:

Retrofitted some XV-01 sway bars to a TT-02. Trying out similar spring rates front and rear with with a stiffer bar up front - previously had stiffer springs up front.

TcrOTDY.jpg

oIqtv4k.jpg

QvEuna5.jpg

Also gave it a quick speed run - not too bad for 2S

YI7SWK9.jpg

Nice TT02. Although I think it deserves a set of aluminum dampers like TRF or from Yeah Racing.

Have you seen the TT02 KR yet? The guy (from Germany) did a great custom job on his kit. He's also selling a CF upgrade set for the TTT02.

Check it here:

https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1025338-wtccs-tt-02-kr.html

71c4faed-8ebb-446c-8yofw8.jpeg

a32c7238-e05e-4f31-8kjk78.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep, quite impressive although I'm not sure it is completely in the spirit of TT-only racing to replace so much of the car. There's something satisfying about modding the standard TT02's goofy yet bombproof suspension to handle better while still being able to shrug off 60kmh rollovers like nothing happened :P

Went to race the Nissan truck in the local parking lot Nissan spec truck series, and took the Insanerang along just for fun. 

Of course the Insanerang, being as ridiculously, insanely overpowered as it is, has become so insanely unstable and unpredictable that it is now very easy to make a sane, stable prediction about what's going to happen when you actually try to drive it: You will break it, big time. 

And that's exactly what happened. 

IMG-20190216-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20190216-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20190216-WA0006.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 3

Decided to change the steering servo to a more sedate one and put the super quick savox that's in my avante in my rock rey because in the avante it's a bit overkill and the rock rey could really do with that type of servo! Then I thought I'd put the new metallic body on it but then changed my mind🤔 looks to cool to spoil!

20190216_124851.jpg

• Like 6

Not today, but last night had an epic evenings racing. Best result in the last year or so I've been racing. Came 1st in the stock touring cars A final with my trusty TT02 Delta...smug face....yeah, just a bit.

Today Painted my Blitzer Beetle shell again! Looking much better now. Also cut out and drilled my new race shell, a Mon-tech WR4 VW Polo.

20190216_193754.jpg

20190216_193839.jpg

• Like 4

Progress with my Brat Bush Devil mash

SB

https://flic.kr/p/2doS7oe this (link) reminds me of the lunchbox Xmas competition winner!

still deciding what colour to paint it. 

SB 1

Pleased with a little bodge I came up with to use a plumbing part for the collared sleeve in the steering servo saved thingy. 

Bodge

• Like 3

Went racing. It was my sons first race meet and he had a great time both racing and marshalling. The club is great and everyone was really encouraging and he was stoked to get a special mention at the drivers briefing

I had mixed results. I didn't swap my ESC out of my Ultima so got through the first heat and then it gave up the ghost. Its ok though as the battery also swelled and popped the case, so bought a new one. Orion, since I can get them trackside. They should sell them at banks so you can extend your mortgage to cover the cost. On the bright side, the new Surpass motor is awesome. Set to 6.2amp draw it came off cool so I can go up a pinion or 2. Except I have to buy them, I have 27t - 32t and 35t - 37t. It currently runs 32t. Even undergeared it was keeping up with the fast guys.

The Lazer went much better except 2nd heat my transponder unplugged itself. I have a clip thing I use on my 8th buggy to keep the servo plugs together so that will solve the transponder issue, it happened at the last meet last year too. I should buy another transponder and not have to swap them. The Orca Blitreme is fast but it runs hot, well I have to gear it this way to keep up and its right on the edge. I will swap it to the other Surpass for next meet.

• Like 2

Another fritzed servo in my TRF211 after spending an hour or so sorting the electronics placements again, then shimming and new bearings for my new (to me) racing steering set. Second servo in a month. I don't know if low profile servos are more sensitive to interference or something or they just don't like AM radios (albeit 40mhz in this). I have swapped the cheap 2.4ghz gear from the kids rising fighter into it to see if this helps. Then it's probably 2.4 investment time. 

Shell is also cracking. And I still haven't really found an all round sweet spot for the handling. It's so sensitive to ground conditions and tyres where my TRF201 just drives nice. I swear this buggy hates me! I guess because I don't always run it on a race track maybe a fairly extreme race buggy isn't the one for more general fun as well. On outdoor astro last summer it was amazing, and on some dry grass too, but if the grip gets low it's just always a handful. 

So obviously the roll of the dice is spending a tonne of money on it! New servo and 3 cans of paint from Modelsport yesterday. I finished the design of a layback transmission (like the B6.1D) which keeps the really low cg layout of the layback, but uses the Tamiya idler instead of the massive 43t yokomo I currently have in the laydown. Ordered from Shapeways. This one uses a slightly laid back FF03R motor plate to replace the yokomo plate. This will pull the motor back and hopefully make it a little more friendly to drive in lower grip. The Tamiya plate also means a spur/pinion cover too which means no more grinding through the shell with the open spur gear if I look at the velcro wrong. And no more hole for the slipper shaft in the shell (which is splitting due to pulling the shell on and off). And properly sealed. Finally need to order a new shell. My favourite Azarashi shells come in an option for the RB6 (which also has a covered mid motor drive train) which mentions fitting the TRF201XM so I am confident this will also fit better than the YZ2 style body I currently which I needed to clear the open spur. Just need to finish off a larger battery hold down and order it. 

Aaaaaaand breathe. 

Thanks for listening. I needed to get that off my chest! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Took advantage of the fine weather and quiet house to give 4/7th of the fleet a scrub and lube up

20190217_165711.thumb.jpg.f8d8c13cd2a32f66b309ec9bc7f7314d.jpg

• Like 3

Cut the undertray for the Top force = pain in bum. 

Cut the Aqroshot shell = bigger pain in bum. How tough is that shell?! 

No pictures as the lights gone here but then they are hardly exciting anyway!

Hoping I can find some time to start getting some paint on the Aqroshot soon. The TF can wait for now. 

• Like 4

Well, in distinct contrast to my sob story above I decided to grab the last of the light with something I haven't run for a bit and is in need of less fiddling with. I do love the fiddling with the cars bit, but it's been a bit frustrating recently with the TRF211 and getting my new SCT to stop grip rolling all the time. This bundle of wonder was an absolute tonic

Joyful grass running with the Thunder Dragon

Since the TRF suspension conversion this is so nice to drive. And on winter short, but dried grass it was an absolute hoot. I rinsed an entire pack through it, giggling out loud a lot. Just the right side of loose, with fun power slides to be had. Massive smile on my face. I like RC cars again now 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Had a great afternoon with my nephew and brother-in-law at the park with our RCs. We set up a little course using rubber cones as markers, and raced each other around it, first to 5 laps, hit a marker and you're out. It was quite a challenge.

It was the first time my nephew had been out with his M-03 since it had been fitted with a steering travel adjuster and softer rear springs and they made a huge difference, with his car hardly spinning out or rolling at all. He was most pleased!

• Like 3

A new esc (looks like a HW 1060 but isn't branded at all) fitted in to my HPI Jumpshot and a new bodyshell cut out and reamed

PjQBCfb.jpg

gJg1au1.jpg

VQLbdBc.jpg

WjUS56n.jpg

• Like 3